• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what makes a masterpiece?

99 posts in this topic

For Archie covers, there are a lot I really like, but this one sums up the Archie world so well, it would be my choice for an Archie "masterpiece."

Betty only has eyes for Archie, Archie only has eyes for Veronica, Veronica only has eyes for herself, and Jughead is a little disgusted by it all.

106424.jpg.6411f9c81d38524cf541ae1558d26731.jpg

thread is nice as is the Baker. I borrowed from GCD but did have this... the moment of self-awareness here strikes me as one of the supreme capturings- almost as much philosophically as artistically- ever to grace a comic cover- thanks

47685.jpg

That cover is incredible. It was swiped from a moment in 1935's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Karloff's performance as he realizes the reflection in the water is himself is just amazing.

In this classic More Fun cover, I've always thought that Baily was not condeming the Nazis or the growing conflict in Europe, but war and aggression in general. The image of the Spectre, the embodiment of the Wrath of God, towering over a raging battle makes this one a masterpiece for me.

morefun54.jpg

You can't really talk about a masterpiece without a personal understanding of art. I've always felt that art is an intimately personal thing. What strikes one person as a meaningful piece may just be a picture to someone else. I think to reach the masterpiece stage, that intimate connection with the art has to cross cultural, gender, and age boundaries.

It also crosses the boundaries between a professional art critic's appreciation of the artist's use of the elements and principles of design along with the work's historical context -- and the societal popularity of a piece.

Even a number of the pieces presented here tend towards the popular and iconic and not necessarily the most well-drawn, technically-rendered or well-composed works.

We do find it sometimes difficult to distinguish the difference between the artistic and popular with comic book covers -- not surprising given the comic book's place in popular culture.

As an admittedly simplistic analogy, a b&w photograph can seldom be a "good" photograph based on topic, alone. It must render the blacks, black, the whites, white, and a have great range of tonal values in between. Along with a great eye for subject matter and composition, it needs a high level of "technical" competence or indeed trend setting artistic ability for it go beyond a snapshot.

I would say that for a comic book cover to be a masterpiece, then all the aspects of art criticism that apply to the medium should be evidenced at a skilled level.

If a cover has a popular appeal whether through subject matter and/or emotional resonance ...

... it also has a well-thought out and executed composition (storytelling);

... perspective and anatomy are convincing rendered;

.. it evidences a skillful use of the brush and/or pen;

... colour enhances the message/presentation;

... the marketing elements of the cover complement the pictorial representation;

... and one could go on.

If one thinks a cover is a masterpiece then it needs to stand up with the best of the works of comic book cover artists who did the above: Eisner, Fine, Baker, Frazetta, etc...

In this classic More Fun cover, I've always thought that Baily was not condeming the Nazis or the growing conflict in Europe, but war and aggression in general. The image of the Spectre, the embodiment of the Wrath of God, towering over a raging battle makes this one a masterpiece for me.

morefun54.jpg

doesn't get much better.

thread is nice as is the Baker. I borrowed from GCD but did have this... the moment of self-awareness here strikes me as one of the supreme capturings- almost as much philosophically as artistically- ever to grace a comic cover- thanks

47685.jpg

That cover is incredible. It was swiped from a moment in 1935's BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN. Karloff's performance as he realizes the reflection in the water is himself is just amazing.

who played frankenstein in that film?

47685.jpg

The baron was played by Colin Clive - "It's alive! It's alive!"

47685.jpg

dammit, you rooted out the misdirection in one of the great trivia questions. it's the rare man who doesn't think the question is looking for the monster's role. i've won many a $1 bet on that one.

47685.jpg

dammit, you rooted out the misdirection in one of the great trivia questions. it's the rare man who doesn't think the question is looking for the monster's role. i've won many a $1 bet on that one.

And who played the Bride of Frankenstein? hm

47685.jpg

And who played the Bride of Frankenstein? hm

Well, Elsa Lanchester payed the bride of the monster, but she preferred the baron! I think Fay Wray played the baron's bride - anyone confirm that? (Going on IMDB is cheating!)

47685.jpg

You owe me a dollar, sharpie! Double or quits? Or tell us a really funny joke as a forfeit!

Great thread! Everyone will have different opinions but it should make for great conversation.

Another excuse to post this cover. Twist my arm. :D I'm a big fan of this L.B. Cole horror cover and find it stronger than its earlier Suspense version. A big reason is the red background and the pose of the monster...Much more menacing!

I also love the STT #11 cover and see it as being more of an outright, in your face horror cover than the Suspense #8. I prefer the Suspense #8 artistically and emotionally, though. I love the originality and "dark" look the book has but the addition of Mr. Nobody in the background makes this cover for me.

There is obviously a gruesome act taking place which made a great cover in itself but the addition of Mr. Nobody adds much more depth to the scene. I love his non-emotional, observing look and think the cover would have been ruined if Cole had given him a "horrified" expression.

I picture him walking down some alley way and coming upon this scene. He starts watching the scene play out like a scientist with some lab experiment. He may have pity, rage or disgust for what's going on and would normally help the "little people" or destroy everything in a terrified fear,

but the scene is so far beyond his comprehension that he can't do anything but observe what's going to happen. I feel I'm being pulled closer to the horror by seeing it through his eyes. That's how I see the book and why it's a masterpiece to me.

SuspenseComics8-1.jpg

Kudos on another great thread idea Alanna.