• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Comics

40 posts in this topic

We've had threads before. I still haven't had one person take me up on my Spider-Ham offer. (shrug)

I've considered it... but don't want to part with my books at the quoted prices if I get 9.8s... bump it up and we can talk :popcorn:

Sub them first and take the risk yourself, then.

(shrug) Say what?

If I know I have a buyer at a price I like, then I can easily sub my books and get the 9.8s (or not) via prescreen. If there's not an acceptable price I know I could get, the books stay in my collection. What's your point?

My point is that it seems stupid and sort of rude to try and prune more money out of him on books that don't even exist. $60 a 9.8 is super reasonable for those books. So if you want more money, go get those 9.8s. I'll be waiting to see if you have the goods. Otherwise you are just blowing a horn.

:screwy: Your business model is backwards. Slab the books and then *hope* that the offer rises to the level that it would have taken to convince me to invest money in slabbing and part with the books from my collection? Lotsa luck with that approach.

Hmm, the books that are wanted haven't materialized at the price that's been offered. I'm suggesting the offer isn't high enough to make them appear. Doesn't seem stupid or rude to suggest that the offer isn't adequate. As has been posted multiple times, no one has taken up the offer. Not sure how you can reach any other conclusion but that the offer is too low. You are welcome to try though :foryou:

And yes lol I do have the goods whether you ever get to see them or not. :slapfight:

And while most are not so valuable now many are super tough to get in 9.8.

This is the "rare but cheap" problem that creates pure hell for collectors. "Rare but expensive" books are often available because somebody always wants to flip one. "Common but cheap" books may take some searching but you'll find one sooner or later. Occasionally you even get a "common but expensive" book (Hulk #181 anyone?) where the book practically grows on trees but demand keeps prices inflated. But the corner of collecting where "rare but cheap" coincide is a complete :censored:. The books are super tough, so you would think they would sell well, but nobody wants so submit them and risk getting 9.4-9.6 because they probably won't even sell for grading fees if they don't hit 9.8. I run into this problem with Spidey Super Stories. These books were meant for little kids so most copies got torn up. Most books have pops of 5 or less, and if Doc Joe or I don't need them they typically sell for peanuts in anything less than 9.8 (hell, even a 9.8 did only like $35 in a Clink auction not too long ago). Since they don't sell for much nobody wants to take the risk of subbing borderline copies, so the pops never go up. It is the catch 22 of "if the price would go up they would come out of the woodwork, but so few have interest currently that it is difficult to move the market."

Don't lie. That is a big part of what makes it fun. If this shiz grew on trees, there would be no sport at all.

Not sure how I lied. I agree that it is fun, but of course collecting can be pure hell and still fun at the same time.

We've had threads before. I still haven't had one person take me up on my Spider-Ham offer. (shrug)

I've considered it... but don't want to part with my books at the quoted prices if I get 9.8s... bump it up and we can talk :popcorn:

(shrug) Say what?

If I know I have a buyer at a price I like, then I can easily sub my books and get the 9.8s (or not) via prescreen. If there's not an acceptable price I know I could get, the books stay in my collection. What's your point?

My point is that it seems stupid and sort of rude to try and prune more money out of him on books that don't even exist. $60 a 9.8 is super reasonable for those books. So if you want more money, go get those 9.8s. I'll be waiting to see if you have the goods. Otherwise you are just blowing a horn.

:screwy: Your business model is backwards. Slab the books and then *hope* that the offer rises to the level that it would have taken to convince me to invest money in slabbing and part with the books from my collection? Lotsa luck with that approach.

Hmm, the books that are wanted haven't materialized at the price that's been offered. I'm suggesting the offer isn't high enough to make them appear. Doesn't seem stupid or rude to suggest that the offer isn't adequate. As has been posted multiple times, no one has taken up the offer. Not sure how you can reach any other conclusion but that the offer is too low. You are welcome to try though :foryou:

The business model isn't backwards. You are basically trying to sell books that do not exist, and to me that seems the much more fanciful business model. If you want the prices for these alleged 9.8 copies to materialize, it would make sense for the 9.8 copies to materialize first. It seems that everyone in this thread can agree that you could ask $60 or better if you actually had a book in hand, but until that 9.8 is in hand you shouldn't expect somebody to open their wallet.

Buy bigger panties, Wayne. They're starting to bunch. I've bought your books before plenty of times, from you and from people whom you've sold to. Oftentimes they are very nice. No need to get upset. It is just one opinion. Take it or leave it.

The take your ball and go home thing is pretty pussified though. I think the world will go on with or without your comic books. But I will be sure and stay out of your way and keep my mouth shut the next time you decide to try and get someone to up the ante on books that don't exist.

Buy bigger panties, Wayne. They're starting to bunch. I've bought your books before plenty of times, from you and from people whom you've sold to. Oftentimes they are very nice. No need to get upset. It is just one opinion. Take it or leave it.

The take your ball and go home thing is pretty pussified though. I think the world will go on with or without your comic books. But I will be sure and stay out of your way and keep my mouth shut the next time you decide to try and get someone to up the ante on books that don't exist.

Wow, you guys are funny! :roflmao:

Not upset, not sure where that comes from. (shrug) Maybe you are reading too much emotion into my comments. I think my side of the conversation has been pretty matter of fact.

Your comments throughout the conversation went immediately to a playground taunting level with your show me/prove it stuff as well as calling my comments stupid and rude, and this continues in your latest post. I continue to decline to stoop to that level. I even threw in a :foryou: Not sure where "take your ball" thing comes from unless that's how you read my comment that I have the books whether you get to see them or not. Again, a simple statement of fact, because I won't spend money to slab them just to keep them in my collection, but I have complete confidence that I could slab a number of 9.8s from my Spider-Ham collection. So, no, I won't be proving it unless I know there's a price associated with selling the books that works for me. You seem ok with the "slab it and the price will come" approach, but that's not a model that works for everyone.

The OP made an offer for slabbed books that don't exist in an attempt to get someone to slab them. Why do you have a problem with that part of the discussion?

I suggested that if they haven't materialized, it's not because they don't exist in raw form. I, and presumably anyone else who has HG PPTSS books and who is aware of the OP's offer, aren't tempted enough by the offer to slab and sell off our books. It's just a simple statement of fact.

I have in the past found offers or market prices tempting enough to part with books from my collection. Like when Watchmen prices were crazy, I slabbed and sold my OO set of those books. I wanted to keep them, but at a certain price point the emotion of wanting to keep my books and the value associated with those books was overcome.

Here's another one :foryou: We're only talking about comic books. As was famously said to Psycho in "Stripes", "Lighten up, Francis!" lol

(shrug) Say what?

The business model isn't backwards. You are basically trying to sell books that do not exist, and to me that seems the much more fanciful business model. If you want the prices for these alleged 9.8 copies to materialize, it would make sense for the 9.8 copies to materialize first. It seems that everyone in this thread can agree that you could ask $60 or better if you actually had a book in hand, but until that 9.8 is in hand you shouldn't expect somebody to open their wallet.

You do realize that the OP made an offer in an attempt to get someone to slab the books to sell them to him, right? ie, an offer for books that don't exist?

You are advocating speculation, as in, if I invest money to have this book graded then I can hope to negotiate an acceptable price. Seems backwards to me, when it's so much simpler to agree on a price between buyer and seller where the deal would occur if the books materialize. (Again, which is exactly what the OP proposed!) No risk to either party that way. Buyer isn't out anything if the books don't materialize. Seller isn't out anything if the books materialize because he will recoup his expenses. In your model there's a large sunk cost with no assurance of a return. I'm not sure I'd call that fanciful, but I'd call that a lot of unnecessary risk for a person getting books slabbed.

No doubt there are advocates of both approaches, so to each his own!

You do realize that the OP made an offer in an attempt to get someone to slab the books to sell them to him, right? ie, an offer for books that don't exist?

You are advocating speculation, as in, if I invest money to have this book graded then I can hope to negotiate an acceptable price. Seems backwards to me, when it's so much simpler to agree on a price between buyer and seller where the deal would occur if the books materialize. (Again, which is exactly what the OP proposed!) No risk to either party that way. Buyer isn't out anything if the books don't materialize. Seller isn't out anything if the books materialize because he will recoup his expenses. In your model there's a large sunk cost with no assurance of a return. I'm not sure I'd call that fanciful, but I'd call that a lot of unnecessary risk for a person getting books slabbed.

I reread the thread, and if there was an offer to reserve the rights to buy these alleged 9.8s if they appear in slabs I missed it. It may be there and I just didn't see it, and if that is the case then so be it.

Apparently you and I define speculation a bit differently, or at least the levels of speculation involved here. With your business model you are asking the buyer to speculate a whole lot, and you not at all. That puts all of the risk on your buyer, and zero on the seller, which is a difficult place to begin negotiation. On the other hand, if the 9.8s were real then the seller will have speculated some (on the submission) and the buyer will have to speculate some (on the offering price) but at least the buyer is dealing with a known quantity that will reduce his financial risk and opportunity costs.

If you were going to prescreen these books it would seem that there would be minimal cost to you to get them into the 9.8 slabs you feel they deserve, and then you would probably have an easier time of selling them if that is what you choose to do. You're certainly free to negotiate a price pre-submission (and there are books I would gladly do this for), as they are your books, but at the end of the day if the books are not slabbed then those 9.8s don't exist. I have subbed books that I was sure were locks for 9.8 that didn't get it, so you can never assume anything no matter how pretty the books are.

As always, they are your books and you can do whatever you want with them. But being surprised because people don't relish making 9.8 quality offers on raw books that they haven't seen doesn't make much sense to me.

I reread the thread, and if there was an offer to reserve the rights to buy these alleged 9.8s if they appear in slabs I missed it. It may be there and I just didn't see it, and if that is the case then so be it.

But being surprised because people don't relish making 9.8 quality offers on raw books that they haven't seen doesn't make much sense to me.

Yes, the offer was made in another thread. Many many months ago. And it's been brought up a few times that no one has taken the OP up on the offer. That was again stated in this thread. Apparently you did miss the OP's offer posts.

Who has asked for 9.8 offers on raw books? (shrug)

Apparently you and I define speculation a bit differently, or at least the levels of speculation involved here. With your business model you are asking the buyer to speculate a whole lot, and you not at all.

In what way does the maker of an offer for a certain 9.8 "speculate a whole lot"? The buyer risks nothing! Unless a CGC 9.8 book is brought forward for sale the buyer simply doesn't get a book, nothing was risked, nothing was paid, nothing was received.

Really, I'm shaking my head here, I'm not sure how this is not clear.

Enjoy your comics and your business model. (thumbs u

Finally, a post that makes sense! (worship):baiting:lol

Let's try breaking this down to the core of the debate. The OP wants some books in 9.8. A price was offered many months ago. The OP has stated that no one has produced these books in 9.8 for him. My comment is that a higher offer might cause someone to sell these books in 9.8 to the OP, because as the OP has pointed out several times no one has taken him up on the original offer. Your position is, well, I'm not sure what, but presumably you don't think the OP should raise his offer.

It's really that simple - a higher offer could net the OP the books that he wants, because the original offer hasn't yielded any books.

Now, I'm off to enjoy my comics! :whee:

Well there has been a lot of hype on the Boards, and JiveTurkey did quite well with his raws with prices very near what Ed was quoting.

Good point. I forgot about Jive's thread.

Yes, Jive did well selling off his doubles, which pretty much paid for all of his Keepers. :whee:

Well there has been a lot of hype on the Boards, and JiveTurkey did quite well with his raws with prices very near what Ed was quoting.

Good point. I forgot about Jive's thread.

Yes, Jive did well selling off his doubles, which pretty much paid for all of his Keepers. :whee:

You must have quite a few keepers!! :o