• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pretty sure this was Not the type of publicity the WB wanted for Green Lantern.

122 posts in this topic

this is fascinating.... What Marvel learned with their first XMen movie was that their 90s cartoons seeded the way for the movies success. A whole generation grew up learning the XMen lore... and loved teh movie.

DC might have seen this coming, since, while we know the true GL backstory, all the TV kids had no idea GL wasnt black!

Its not their fault either. Its like you wake up at 8 AM everyday and fall asleep at 5PM every day. Youd never know what night was cause you never saw it.

Well I think it's pretty ignorant to assume that it's a racist plot to have a white man play a role that happens to be played by a black man in a cartoon. But that's just me. Perhaps I should have called reverse racism when Samuel L. Jackson played Nick Fury, after all I grew up with a white Nick Fury and not being a fan of the Ultimates story line, had no knowledge of the black Nick Fury. But you know what, I didn't give a rip. In the end, he did a great job, that's all any of us should care about isn't it?

Same here, didn't know there was a black Nick Fury until I read your post.

It amazes me just how stupid people actually are. Seriously, the internet is your friend so try doing a bit of research before flipping out about the ethnicity of a character. I swear, every time I come across something I don't get, grasp, understand, or question, I hit the internet. mess, the net even on my phone now. Instead, its a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement posted by lazy who know nothing of the character. ok, rant over...

Yup. Pretty ignorant rants by some pretty ignorant people...

I'm not getting why they are 'ignorant'?

The general public's only expose to GL is the cartoon. The character there is clearly black. What possible reason would they have to think 'I bet he's supposed to be white, I must Google it to make sure'?

I never read Briget Jones' Diary but having seen the film, I felt no compulsion to check out the ethnicity of the characters in the written form. Why would I?

Well I think it's pretty ignorant to assume that it's a racist plot to have a white man play a role that happens to be played by a black man in a cartoon. But that's just me. Perhaps I should have called reverse racism when Samuel L. Jackson played Nick Fury, after all I grew up with a white Nick Fury and not being a fan of the Ultimates story line, had no knowledge of the black Nick Fury. But you know what, I didn't give a rip. In the end, he did a great job, that's all any of us should care about isn't it?

But not one of those quotes suggest 'a racist plot'?

Where did you get this 'racist plot' idea?

The GL known to the public is black. The film version is white. This can't be pointed out without it being 'a racist plot'? :screwy:

Branding FAIL. :P

As innocuous pointed out, it not's just the Justice League animated show that created this impression, but also DC's current SuperFriends line that also uses Jon Stewart. This is not just comics, but toys, books, videogames, etc. The Jon Stewart GL is the version DC has been pushing in the mainstream for the last decade. My six year-old really only knows the Jon Stewart version. When he sees Hal Jordan, he refers to him as the "the OLD Green Lantern," but he only knows that because I told him.

Putting the racial aspect aside for a moment, DC needs to (as someone said earlier) decide which version of the character they want to be the mainstream representative and stick to it.

Personally, (and I know I may get flamed for this)I think they made a mistake by not sticking with Jon Stewart for the movie. I know the character in the comics was pretty lame, but the Bruce Timm version was much more interesting and cool. That is the version of Jon Stewart that this Twitter generation knows and to them, Hal Jordan probably looks lame in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hal Jordan, I grew up with Hal Jordan, but I'm not the demographic DC needs to be targeting.

106515.jpg.d3aef1ae84ecdad2509406aec6c2bcdf.jpg

"What's a Nubian?"

That line still cracks me up.

DC hasn't done anything wrong. The history of the character is what it is.

If people aren't familiar with it, it's not the fault of those telling the story.

Seriously: Someone's trying to say THAT MANY people are familiar with the CARTOON?

Puh-leeze!

This is a stunt done to stir up controversy, and it's in poor taste.

No, of course it's not DC's fault. Nor is there some sort of conspiracy.

However, it is entirely understandable why the non-comic community would be confused by this. They have no reason to know Hal Jordan. They have no reason to Google him. John Stewart, a black man, IS GL.

And yes, there will be THAT MANY people familiar with the cartoon.

I actually think people, in this case, are to blame for not Wikipediaing or Googling this before hand.

Really. As was posted above, if you watch the JLA cartoon and GL portrayed in the cartoon is Stewart, who is a black man, why should you have to use Google or Wiki? You think, and rightly so, you know the answer. Maybe the fault should be DC's, they should decide which character they want to be the public face of their characters.

Who cares what they do in comics, but when you have a great cartoon show like the JLA that millions? of viewers have seen, this is something that DC/WB should have thought about. Maybe they should hire someone/a division to oversee the continuity of DC characters as they are portrayed on TV/Movies. Earth X doesn't work for movie goers, it just confuses them.

Except the fact that if you watched the JLU cartoon you'd know the black mans name is Stewart and if you watch the trailer for the movie the white man is Hal Jordan.

Its not like they took the same character and changed his race. You'd think that alone would prompt people to google the name Hal Jordan

It amazes me just how stupid people actually are. Seriously, the internet is your friend so try doing a bit of research before flipping out about the ethnicity of a character. I swear, every time I come across something I don't get, grasp, understand, or question, I hit the internet. mess, the net even on my phone now. Instead, its a bunch of wildly_fanciful_statement posted by lazy who know nothing of the character. ok, rant over...

Yup. Pretty ignorant rants by some pretty ignorant people...

I'm not getting why they are 'ignorant'?

The general public's only expose to GL is the cartoon. The character there is clearly black. What possible reason would they have to think 'I bet he's supposed to be white, I must Google it to make sure'?

I never read Briget Jones' Diary but having seen the film, I felt no compulsion to check out the ethnicity of the characters in the written form. Why would I?

But not one of those quotes suggest 'a racist plot'?

Where did you get this 'racist plot' idea?

The GL known to the public is black. The film version is white. This can't be pointed out without it being 'a racist plot'? :screwy:

You mean to tell me that you can read the 7th and 8th twitters and not get that feeling? Really? What if I were to say "white people can't have nothing" or "gl is supposed to be white so why am I looking at his black ?". I don't care for the insinuation either way. I don't care that fury is black nor do I care that gl is white nor would I have cared if he was black.

So just to be clear...

Anyone from the ages of 45-27 should KNOW that Green Lantern was Hal Jordan on Super Friends. Then Hal Jordan was used again on the Batman Animated.

In the late 90's we swicthed to Justice League Unlimited, which had alot of the characters from the "later" JLA including Booster Gold, John Stewart, etc.. So I can see why there may be some confusion. The current "super friends" also uses John Stewart, but Green Lantern: First Flight was also Hal Jordan..

There isnt alot that points to John Stewart being the "main" GL. Just a bunch of kids who didnt read comics, and only watched one cartoon. I don't see a racist plot in that. But I DO see a bunch of people who shot off their mouths (thumbs) half cocked without getting ANY type of information. Which can be seen as being ignorant, since what they know is OBVIOUSLY all there is needed to know.

No love for Alan Scott?

3435_180x270.jpg

the first Green Lantern created about 20 years before Hal Jordan.

I guess its something we should get used to as we get older. example in 10 years the majority of mainstream will think of Ultimate Spider-man as the real Spider-man and not the Lee,Ditko and Romita version.