• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venom #1 "Black Cover" found in a storage room. Never Opened from the 25-pack

129 posts in this topic

Hey,

Usually when I find a big book I just go on my merry way, but this book was just such a cool find I thought it would be fun to share. :shy:

I remember when I worked at Comic's A to Z back in the Philly area when I was 13 years old Venom: Lethal Protector #1 came out.

Back then all the 90's DREK was in high demand like the Death/Return of Superman, Batman: Knightfall, Image, and Post-Unity Valiant etc.......

So when Venom #1 Lethal Protector came out my boss (Mark) ordered the normal 200 copies case of this book, which many were sold. I remember unpacking the case and found a copy that was totally black, and I was just amazed looking at this manufactured error copy. Mark was like this book looks really cool for being an error copy so he put the book in a Mylar and sold it on the wall for $200.00. At the time with no internet or CGC the book was pretty much a mystery till Diamond Dist. told us it was an error copy and to send it back for a refund.

Refund........ :roflmao:

Later with the event of CGC and the internet is was determined that this book was in pretty high demand and decently rare to find.

Venom: Lethal Protector #1 error "Black Cover," if anyone does not know was the first book submitted to CGC that got an CGC 10.0 (unpressed I might add) by my dealer friend Gary Platt.

Flash forward more than 15 years later since 1993 to last Friday where I was at a storage facility where an ex-comic book store owner was letting me go threw his boxes to see if I was interested in buying anything.

I get to this long box that had an 25-pack of the Venom: Lethal Protector #1 (red cover) in the back of the box to hold up the other random issues of 90 DREK in the box. I thought to myself wouldn't it be cool to luck out and find the error "Black Cover," hm

Then I thought the probability of finding it would be even worse than flopping a straight flush in Texas Hold-em. I walked away from the box, and then I walked back saying to myself why not. (shrug)

So I untied the pack (back then they used to tie each 25/50 pack of the issue together with a piece of rolling brown paper on each side together), and I got half way through the 25 pack and found this.....

Scan_Pic0077.jpg

It was like finding the "golden ticket" from Willy Wonka. :o

It's not the most expensive book in the world, or anything like that, but I was just floored.

This book has been sitting untouched for almost 17 years, which it took me back to my childhood working back at Comic's A to Z, and just the of chance probability of the book actually being in just one 25-pack was just super rare.

To me this book and Batman #608 RRP are the only variants worth owning.

If you are a Venom hardcore fan this book is just as important to have in your collection as the ASM #300.

Anyway I will remember this for a long time.

thanks for reading,

John (SOT)

So I untied the pack (back then they used to tie each 25/50 pack of the issue together with a piece of rolling brown paper on each side together), and I got half way through the 25 pack and found this.....

Scan_Pic0077.jpg

wonka-shines.gif

Scan_Pic0077.jpg

wonka-shines.gif

Tell Paul or Shawn I expect my first ever 9.9/10.0. :baiting: