• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just curious. What are your thoughts on PG...you know...

44 posts in this topic

I'm veering us off-topic, but I'll take the Kia, rather than spend stupid money on a Mercedez.

The Mercedez is going to be 3 times as much, and will not be as cost effective, transportation-wise.

I have no interest in cars other than getting me from point A to point B.

So...would you rather drive a Kia or a Mercedez? Both will probably get you there, but ANY car can have trouble and break down. Which would you bet on for the long haul? Mercedez or Kia?

I walked past thier booth at the Portland show on Sunday and it looked mighty lonely... especially compared to Designer Toast's booth.

Thanks! Yeah, Portland was a pretty good show.

As for PGX... :boo: A disgrace to the hobby and honest comic collectors/buyers/sellers every where. Why the hell would anyone let their own business turn into a moldly turd sandwich is beyond me.

Utter dog turd on every conceivable level.

Hope that this helps.

How many conceivable levels of utter dog turd are there?

My guess is infinite. :idea:

PGX will be around for as long as they desire to be.

That is right one the money, pardon the pun.

In every town there is the successful bar/lounge/restaurant where the majority of folks like to go. They have good service, great food, strong drinks and nice atmosphere. Then there are the dives. No one knows anyone that has ever been there, but they keep making money, either through out of towners that don't know any better or a hard core group of loyalists. The dives even have fights and stabbings pretty regularly which get them bad press, but they still hang on.

very risky IMHO. I've seen books bought on ebay, subbed to CGC and got unrestored higher grades. and they sold quickly. but that would seem to be an anomaly.

on this topic, did anyone buy these two PGX books on the 'link? I wondered if anyone resubbed to CGC and what did they find.

TTA 57 9.6 Unresto'd

Hulk 1 9.2 Restored

For the non-hardcore collector, CGC makes it a bit difficult to submit. If there isn't an authorized dealer around they have to use a third party website, and by that point they just go straight to PGX.

Actually it's very easy to submit to CGC all by yourself. An authorized dealer is never needed.

1. Go to CGC's website.

2. Click "submission center"

3. Click "how to submit"

4. Follow instructions and click on one of the 30 "internet partners" to get the 10% discount and forms.

5. Print out the forms.

6. Send in the comics with the forms.

If people are too stupid/lazy to do this, then they deserve to get effed by PGX.

In every town there is the successful bar/lounge/restaurant where the majority of folks like to go. They have good service, great food, strong drinks and nice atmosphere. Then there are the dives. No one knows anyone that has ever been there, but they keep making money, either through out of towners that don't know any better or a hard core group of loyalists. The dives even have fights and stabbings pretty regularly which get them bad press, but they still hang on.

Good analogy. lol

The mistake often made here is the presumption that what is common knowledge here is also common knowledge throughout the entire community. This is a very small microcosm of the whole. Unfortunately, to casual observers, CGC and PGX are like products.

Think about it this way... there are several card grading companies. I'd venture a guess that 95% of the people here have no idea which ones are considered top shelf and which ones are a joke within that community.

For the non-hardcore collector, CGC makes it a bit difficult to submit. If there isn't an authorized dealer around they have to use a third party website, and by that point they just go straight to PGX.

Actually it's very easy to submit to CGC all by yourself. An authorized dealer is never needed.

1. Go to CGC's website.

3. Click "how to submit"

4. Follow instructions and click on one of the 30 "internet partners" to get the 10% discount and forms.

5. Print out the forms.

If people are too stupid/lazy to do this, then they deserve to get effed by PGX.

Not about being lazy, its about n00bs having no idea who is who, and one company you have to use "internet partners" and one you don't with out a subscription. Now I have my premium CGC sub so its not an issue for me, but after reading about some of the problems and delays some guys have had with these 3rd parties, doesn't make submitting through them confidence inspiring.

1. Go to CGC's website.

3. Click "how to submit"

5. Print out the forms.

Not about being lazy, its about n00bs having no idea who is who, and one company you have to use "internet partners" and one you don't with out a subscription. Now I have my premium CGC sub so its not an issue for me, but after reading about some of the problems and delays some guys have had with these 3rd parties, doesn't make submitting through them confidence inspiring.

Sounds like you are a bit confused. You don't really need to use an Interent Partner to submit to CGC, but that's the way to get a 10% discount and the submission forms. It's just one click on CGC's website, and a click on the other site, and you're re-directed back to CGC's site.

Also, you don't need a subscription to anything to submit to either company. The CGC $99 Premium account is great if you have 3 books worth more than $300 to submit, but besides that, you don't need it and is probably a waste of money. You don't have to be signed up for anything to submit your books directly to CGC by yourself, no middleman needed. You click, you print, you ship, right from your house.

My point is: if you're a Noob thinking of submitting books, a basic Google search will tell you everything you need to know. Once you realize CGC is better than PGX, you just go to CGC's website and look for a "submit books" tab/link. Easy as that (shrug)

1. Go to CGC's website.

3. Click "how to submit"

5. Print out the forms.

Sounds like you are a bit confused. You don't really need to use an Interent Partner to submit to CGC, but that's the way to get a 10% discount and the submission forms. It's just one click on CGC's website, and a click on the other site, and you're re-directed back to CGC's site.

Also, you don't need a subscription to anything to submit to either company. The CGC $99 Premium account is great if you have 3 books worth more than $300 to submit, but besides that, you don't need it and is probably a waste of money. You don't have to be signed up for anything to submit your books directly to CGC by yourself, no middleman needed. You click, you print, you ship, right from your house.

My point is: if you're a Noob thinking of submitting books, a basic Google search will tell you everything you need to know. Once you realize CGC is better than PGX, you just go to CGC's website and look for a "submit books" tab/link. Easy as that (shrug)

We offer three ways to submit your comics to CGC for grading.

1. You may submit comics if you are a paid, active member of CGC Collectors Society.

2. Submit through a dealer near you

3. Submit comics through one of our Internet partners:

Maybe you are the one that is confused? Non-paid, active members must submit through a 3rd party, which is exactly what my point was! Doesn't matter that I print, and ship form my house, the book as far as CGC is concerned was submitted through a 3rd party whom I would have to deal with rather than CGC directly. If I wanted to check the status of those submissions, can I log onto the CGC site and check that, or would I have to get that information from the 3rd party I submitted through? Sure, I got to mail it directly to CGC, but it is still through a 3rd party.

Guess YOU didn't read the submission page fully, because I don't see the option to submit directly without being a paid, active member. Now please, get off your soap box, and offer valid reasons as to why PGX is used.

Given your agruement, there is no reason for any book to be slabbed by PGX, and yet there are tons of them! I am only offering a theory as to why that is, but its better than shooting my theory down without a sound reason as to why anyone uses PGX.

very risky IMHO. I've seen books bought on ebay, subbed to CGC and got unrestored higher grades. and they sold quickly. but that would seem to be an anomaly.

on this topic, did anyone buy these two PGX books on the 'link? I wondered if anyone resubbed to CGC and what did they find.

TTA 57 9.6 Unresto'd

Hulk 1 9.2 Restored

i actually wonder how much more they would have gone for if graded by CGC, that's leaving money on the table.

Maybe you are the one that is confused? Non-paid, active members must submit through a 3rd party, which is exactly what my point was! Doesn't matter that I print, and ship form my house, the book as far as CGC is concerned was submitted through a 3rd party whom I would have to deal with rather than CGC directly. If I wanted to check the status of those submissions, can I log onto the CGC site and check that, or would I have to get that information from the 3rd party I submitted through? Sure, I got to mail it directly to CGC, but it is still through a 3rd party.

No, he's correct.

If you submit online through a 3rd party (because you're not a paid member of the Collector's Society, but would still like the 10% off) - say, this very handy eBay link, for instance - all it does, like wee says, is to add a coupon code to the submission form that you'll be filling out on CGC's site.

That's it.

You're not submitting the books under somebody else's name - the invoice will be in your name, with your contact information, and as such you can call up CGC at any time to request the status. If there is a problem with your books, CGC will contact you directly.

Guess YOU didn't read the submission page fully, because I don't see the option to submit directly without being a paid, active member.

It's Option #3 :makepoint: You do NOT have to be a paid, active member of anything to submit your books (send them directly) to CGC. You do not have to deal with anyone except CGC. Going through an "internet partner" is a formality.

This can be proven if you go to Option #3 and click a Partner (any one, it doesn't matter). Find the CGC Submission ad on that website, and click it. You will be re-directed to CGC's website where you will get the submission forms and 10% off your price. That's it, that all the dealings you will have with an "internet partner", one click on their website.

It really is sad the way they have fallen(from even their low standards).Books listed on ebay under vondoom,Ryan Elliotts shill account,are book shilled up to get a sucker bid.If this doesnt happen they are recased and sold again.

No, he's correct.

If you submit online through a 3rd party (because you're not a paid member of the Collector's Society, but would still like the 10% off) - say, this very handy eBay link, for instance - all it does, like wee says, is to add a coupon code to the submission form that you'll be filling out on CGC's site.

That's it.

You're not submitting the books under somebody else's name - the invoice will be in your name, with your contact information, and as such you can call up CGC at any time to request the status. If there is a problem with your books, CGC will contact you directly.

I wish it was stated as clearly on the page as you just did, because I looked at that page over and over, and to me I had to be a paid member and with the 3 free submissions the premium seemed the way to go. The way it is written and the cost of the premium membership pushed me off for a while until I got a bunch of books I wanted to get graded (Mostly PGX books that I hope grade somewhat close).