• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone remember these?

8 posts in this topic

When I was a kid in the early to mid 70's we really did not have a lot of LCS's. I got all my comics at five and dimes, and drug stores.

However, I recall that most book stores had a prepackaged box with "Comics for Collectors" printed all over it in bright colors. All were premarked with prices and in 1 mil (I think) poly bags.

I recall that most were .15 covers (overstocks?). I also remember they were loaded with Silver Surfers for $3.00 ea. which at the the time was a pretty crazy price.

I also remember that no matter which book store you were in the contents were always similar. Anyone elese remember these, or some of the other common books found within?

during the 90's my mom would go to aldi's and such (can't spell the food store) and she'd find comics packaged in like idk 5 or so at a time for cheap and she'd buy me them.

Altho this was at a time when i'd look at them, but didn't care for them.

Never saw those, but my grandma did get me "comic collector kits" back in the 80's. One came with a book on how to collect, a price guide, some sort of goofy comic boxes with Marvel characters all over them and like 30 current comics. I wish I remembered which comics I got in that pack. I'm sure I still have them but they are in the boxes somewhere. Probably super rare reprints or something. She also got me comic packs from Sam's Club or something. They were shrink-wrapped packs of like 40 Marvels. Mostly x-titles if I remember correctly. I know it's where I was intrroduced to New Mutants. These were all currents though. At that time I think 15 cent covers were still ithe quarter bins.

Never saw those, but my grandma did get me "comic collector kits" back in the 80's. One came with a book on how to collect, a price guide, some sort of goofy comic boxes with Marvel characters all over them and like 30 current comics. I wish I remembered which comics I got in that pack. I'm sure I still have them but they are in the boxes somewhere.

I remember getting one of those as a gift around 1981 or so and it was a real blast - I still have the mini-guide and had used the comic box to store some old crepe up until a few years ago.

I can remember some of the books I got, mostly DC Brave & Bold or DC Comics Presents, but they were all high-grade and I still have them somewhere. I don't remember getting a single top-tier book in the entire pack though and it was about 90% DC. :sick:

Never saw those, but my grandma did get me "comic collector kits" back in the 80's. One came with a book on how to collect, a price guide, some sort of goofy comic boxes with Marvel characters all over them and like 30 current comics. I wish I remembered which comics I got in that pack. I'm sure I still have them but they are in the boxes somewhere.

I remember getting one of those as a gift around 1981 or so and it was a real blast - I still have the mini-guide and had used the comic box to store some old crepe up until a few years ago.

I can remember some of the books I got, mostly DC Brave & Bold or DC Comics Presents, but they were all high-grade and I still have them somewhere. I don't remember getting a single top-tier book in the entire pack though and it was about 90% DC. :sick:

If I'm thinking of the same thing, these were sent out to distributors with the cheesy price guide and boxes and the distributors filled them with whatever leftovers they had. I think it was a Heroes World product.

I'm not familiar with the OPs product, although there was a thread a few years ago by a seller who was offering some sealed boxes that he claimed were factory fresh, but most here thought were repackaged remainders. As I recall, Brent from Quality ended up buying one pack and was fairly pleased with the content.

If I'm thinking of the same thing, these were sent out to distributors with the cheesy price guide and boxes and the distributors filled them with whatever leftovers they had.

Yep, and I looked up a few of the B&B/DC Presents books I remember getting and they were all in the 1979-1980 range, so it was definitely 1980-81 when I got this.

Here's one I still have and while probably worthless it's a dead NM+:

12762915872.159.GIF

If I'm thinking of the same thing, these were sent out to distributors with the cheesy price guide and boxes and the distributors filled them with whatever leftovers they had. I think it was a Heroes World product.

I'm not familiar with the OPs product, although there was a thread a few years ago by a seller who was offering some sealed boxes that he claimed were factory fresh, but most here thought were repackaged remainders. As I recall, Brent from Quality ended up buying one pack and was fairly pleased with the content.

I remember that. They were Spawn collectors sets. Looked really cool. I wanted one :)

That must be how I got odd issues of JLE, The Flash, and Forever People in my collection lol