• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

To Be a Kid Again -- Gahan Wilson

7 posts in this topic

Nuts2.gif

Nuts1.gif

From the Comics Journal blog:

"Gahan Wilson did a monthly series called Nuts that National Lampoon ran during the 1970s. The modern nostalgia boom was underway, and since the period’s middle-aged had been born in the 1920s and 1930s, Depression-era pop culture was getting another run for its money ...

Anyway, my thanks to Comic Book Artist for reprinting the strips below in its April 2003 issue. No info on when they first ran; CBA got them from a 1979 book collection of the strip." ~Tom Crippen

It was the same in 1970.

I bought National Lampoon for years, had a subscription at one stage and it was Gahan Wilson, Doug Kenney's writing and the occasional Neal Adams outing that kept me coming back.

In 1989 Gahan was at SDCC and I bought a couple of his collected works - sadly no Nuts reprints (for mine it was easily his best work) but at least I got to meet him and tell him that that strip had made me laugh.

He then did a couple of sketches in the fly leaves of the books I'd just bought. Real nice of him as I had not asked him to do so.

Those were the days. The only price paid was for the books, but I guess the "secondary market" for signatures and sketches had yet to fully *ahem* "mature".

100_1348503x671.jpg100_1349503x671.jpg

100_1350503x671.jpg100_1351503x671.jpg

I've got the softcover collection of the Nuts strips from National Lampoon that I bought when I was a kid. I was thinking you could pick up a copy on eBay, but no luck. It is a great book, and one of my favorite strips from National Lampoon.

It looks like Fantagraphics plans to either reissue it in the future, or a new compendium.

link

pre order on Amazon

Other great strips from the National Lampoon were B.K. Taylor's Appletons and Timberland Tales - hilarious stuff. I wish there was a compendium of those strips - anyone know? :shrug:

link

Foamy the dog was my favorite, and I still laugh every time I think about him.