• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pay Pal which means eBay and IRS 6050W startes 01/01/2011

100 posts in this topic

Hmmm, maybe MO's will make a comeback hm

Not on eBay, unless they backpeddle on the numerous enforcements they've coded into the site to make sure it's their way (PayPal), or highway.

Should have been more specific, I was thinking about here, some of the higher volume sellers.

Is this policy across the board, on both business and regular PayPal accounts? I also wonder how this policy will devolve for Canadians? I'm not 100% sure about U.S. tax laws, but the little I do know, most Canadian boardies would likely fall under the category of US withholding (foreign corp/person electing to be treated or disregarded entity [DE] for U.S. tax purposes).

Is this policy across the board, on both business and regular PayPal accounts? I also wonder how this policy will devolve for Canadians? I'm not 100% sure about U.S. tax laws, but the little I do know, most Canadian boardies would likely fall under the category of US withholding (foreign corp/person electing to be treated or disregarded entity [DE] for U.S. tax purposes).
the policy is a US policy, doesn't affect folks registered in other countries (from what I can read)

oh, and applies to business and personal accounts alike (in fact, paypal suggest that if you are going to qualify, that it is beneficial to upgrade to a business account, to take advantage of extra resources)

Not on eBay, unless they backpeddle on the numerous enforcements they've coded into the site to make sure it's their way (PayPal), or highway.

You are allowed to accept MOs as payment on Ebay. You just have to word it correctly, per Ebay's rules.

This is news to me. Where does it state on eBay's policy that MO or other forms of payment can be accepted?

You are allowed to accept MOs as payment on Ebay. You just have to word it correctly, per Ebay's rules.

when I contacted ebay about it, they said the buyer has to request to use a MO, that it couldn't be worded in the description that way...naturally, you could probably put something like "other payment options" and get away with it ..I haven't tried (shrug)

This is news to me. Where does it state on eBay's policy that MO or other forms of payment can be accepted?

you can't request, as a seller, but a buyer can request ...it is in the TOS (thumbs u

Payment methods not allowed on eBay:

For most categories, sellers can't ask buyers to:

Send cash through the mail

Send cash or money orders through instant, point-to-point cash transfer services (that are not banks) such as Western Union or MoneyGram

Mail checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted below)

Pay through bank-to-bank transfers (except for items in categories specifically permitted below)

Pay by "topping off" a seller's prepaid credit or debit card

Pay using online or other payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy

Payment method exceptions

These payment methods may be used only in the listing categories described below:

Bank-to-bank transfers (also known as bank wire transfers and bank cash transfers)

Checks

Money orders

Online payment services: Allpay.net, cash2india, CertaPay, Checkfree.com, hyperwallet.com, Nochex.com, Ozpay.biz, XOOM

when I contacted ebay about it, they said the buyer has to request to use a MO, that it couldn't be worded in the description that way...naturally, you could probably put something like "other payment options" and get away with it ..I haven't tried (shrug)

That's it, "other payment options".

Accepted Payments Policy

PayPal

ProPay

Moneybookers

Paymate

Credit card or debit card processed through the seller's Internet merchant account

the key here is

'For most categories, sellers can't ask buyers to:

but buyers can request to pay via mo/check, etc (thumbs u

you can't request, as a seller, but a buyer can request ...it is in the TOS (thumbs u

I've tried to include "other payments" in my auction description in the past, and they all got delisted within a day. What eBay may say in their TOS is one thing, but practically speaking, their Website sure makes it difficult to communicate it in your listing description.

I've tried to include "other payments" in my auction description in the past, and they all got delisted within a day. What eBay may say in their TOS is one thing, but practically speaking, their Website sure makes it difficult to communicate it in your listing description.

exactly, they don't want you to make buyers aware , because they lose their "cut"... but, buyers can request to make those payments (thumbs u

the key here is

I added more details for reference. And yes, I am aware the buyer may ask if you accept MO's, but the seller cannot. I get asked this every once in a while, and after calling Ebay was informed of this.

the key here is

I added more details for reference. And yes, I am aware the buyer may ask if you accept MO's, but the seller cannot. I get asked this every once in a while, and after calling Ebay was informed of this.

correct...ebay won't allow you to make that payment option available in one's listing... but a seller can certainly take money orders, and many prefer, to save the 3.2% or whatever paypal charges these days

Interesting that they forgot to add BillMeLater, and especially since they own this company now.

I was paying for something last week and when I went to pay, they asked if I would like to sign up immediately and then use this to pay. So was Ebay breaking their own authorized payments policy?

:ohnoez:

Not sure if this has been discussed

It was, back in March.

Paypal and the IRS

But it doesn't hurt to bring it up again as now that they added PayPal Personal Transactions into the equation, sellers asking for this payment type will want to be aware how this influences their reporting requirements.

Old news that's been discussed over the past two years on here but important enough to bring up again.

(thumbs u

Not even cost to $20K which is to me a "business" and thank God it's and 200 sales.. can you imagine if I sold 200 .99cent items what a bunch of :censored:

that would be..

you's shut down ebay.

Plus you'd put every garage sale out of business.

WEBHEAD