• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When do you slab a comic?

12 posts in this topic

I've never submitted a book to CGC, and was wondering what criteria others use when deciding to send a comic in to be graded & slabbed. Obviously, the additional value has to be greater than the slabbing costs. Any other considerations? Grade minimums?

When I want it in a pretty plastic holder.

Or when I want to sell it.

gossip.gif

OK....but slabbing a modern costs, what, $15? And how much is shipping to CGC, and shipping costs from CGC? What is the final cost of sending in a comic?

gossip.gif

OK....but slabbing a modern costs, what, $15? And how much is shipping to CGC, and shipping costs from CGC? What is the final cost of sending in a comic?

If you submit using a form from a dealer that gives you 20% off (like Heritage), and you submit 10 or more moderns, the cost to get them graded plus shipping back to you is around $15.

Shipping back to you costs roughly 20%, so the 20% you save pays for the shipping.

Shipping 10 books to CGC is up to you. Send them however you like.

Price can vary depending on how you ship.

When you submit through one of their bigger dealers you can get 15-20% off grading costs. Basically for me it's ended up that what I save in grading costs I end up getting back in shipping. All in all it ends up being $15 or $16 per book with shipping.

I basically get my stuff graded when it's a book/cover that I really like. I don't sell most of the stuff that I have graded. The CGC is good for me because I find that it's not really all that cheaper to buy those nice hard plastic display cases that most of the LCS's sell. Plus I get a handy grade to boot.

As for grading possible sellers... I won't do it on moderns unless it's something that I can get at least a $15 profit on and that's based on what it's actually going for on ebay. That means I don't send many in. confused-smiley-013.gif

As for grading possible sellers... I won't do it on moderns unless it's something that I can get at least a $15 profit on and that's based on what it's actually going for on ebay. That means I don't send many in. confused-smiley-013.gif

That's what I was thinking.

gossip.gif

It brakes down to just under $15 a book for Moderns (includes shipping both ways + discount).

And a little over $25 a book for Economy.

I've never submitted a book to CGC, and was wondering what criteria others use when deciding to send a comic in to be graded & slabbed. Obviously, the additional value has to be greater than the slabbing costs. Any other considerations? Grade minimums?

When it's cheaper and more time-effective to simply submit a raw book, than to buy the CGC equivalent off EBay.

I agree with the others here, but just want to add (in case this isn't obvious) if you're slabbing to sell, I would only do it if the book is rare or is in *very* high grade. Modern Age books are graded extremely strictly--so you have to grade strictly as well before you decide to slab.

Most Modern Agers, if you slab it and it doesn't come back in the 9's you're not even going to get the slabbing cost back when you sell it. I'd carefully grade the book, then look at other auctions to see what slabbed copies are selling for.

This, of course, is assuming you want to sell it. If, for your own collecting purposes, you have your heart set on slabbing your VG 1990s Jughead comic, don't let cost stop you--it's for *you*, not for resale.

RushComics auctions! Ending tonight and still below guide: Superman # 35 8.0 and Young Allies #7 9.0

This, of course, is assuming you want to sell it. If, for your own collecting purposes, you have your heart set on slabbing your VG 1990s Jughead comic, don't let cost stop you--it's for *you*, not for resale.

Why you gotta crack on my 1990's VG Jugheads????893naughty-thumb.gif