• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do People really care about the CGC registry?

53 posts in this topic

I think the registry is a great idea and would love to use it. It just isn't as useful as I would like. I suspect many collectors feel this way. It is extremely useful if you collect a single popular title, like Daredevil, Avengers, X-men, etc..

Well, if the registry isn't your thing, then why not create a website based on your own specialty. Like Osborns, which is pretty simple, homemade and looks great.

Link

I think a Kraven site would be great!

I was going to mention when JoeC talked about seeing the books that I do have links to pics of all my GA books located on my site near the bottom of it.(Of course it's on geocities so if to many people go to it, it closes down tongue.gif) I know it's nice to be able to find as many copies of a GA book as there is CGC'd since there is often only a dozen in the census right now. I was able to find all the Tec 40's ahead of mine except for one of the 5.5's that I assumed was locked away in personal collection before I got mine. Of course that 5.5 just popped up on Heritage and has much nicer eye appeal than mine.(I also wouldn't be surprised if it sells for less than what I paid for my 5.0 893frustrated.gif) I only have one CGC'd Kraven book right now (and it's not even part of Marvel continuity) because I have been [!@#%^&^] away so much money on GA books that I just haven't put much money into that endevor.

The only slabbed Spidey book I own is an 8.0 of ASM #15 with that great Kraven cover. I love the guy! It's the only book in my registry set called Sticky Stuff! 27_laughing.gif

I read the article in the recent CBM about Kraven and didn't realize he walked among us no longer. I will be looking to get back issues of his final appearances. Sounds fascinating.

And I am thinking of creating a site with some of my raw books on it.......Shiverbones has me looking at Charltons. Just what I need....another Jones. 893frustrated.gif

I also dislike the registry becuase everyone collects differently. Some people collect Neal Adams covers, DC 100 giants, certain characters appearances, etc. I highly doubt you would see these sets done any time in the near future.

Yup I really don't collect just sets from a specific title. I mostly collect based on villains. 893whatthe.gif I like the GA Tecs but the only ones I really buy are the Joker cover appearances and the only other ones I'm interested in are a few 1st appearances of some of the other villains, Joker interior stories, and a very few covers that are just cool. The only Marvel's I would buy anymore are Kraven the Hunter appearences, and I NEVER expect to see a registry set made just for his full appearances...

No one says you have to complete the set. I am currently putting together a conan set. I will enter my books in both the 1-24 and the 1-100 sets. The 1-24 is the only one I plan on having a complete set of. I will also enter the books into the 1-100 set along with the Adams books, the Ploog book, issue 100, and the 30c and 35c variants. That is only about half of the set of a 100 and is about as far as I plan to go.

You know what would be cool? If you could view sets based on the owner. Say for instance someone who collects N Adams. Be able to see all the registry entries for just Neal Adams regardless of title. Perhaps a search engine type feature for the Registry? That way someone could see all the Adams books entered. They could be organized based on points and owner just like the sets are now. confused-smiley-013.gif

The only slabbed Spidey book I own is an 8.0 of ASM #15 with that great Kraven cover. I love the guy! It's the only book in my registry set called Sticky Stuff! 27_laughing.gif

I read the article in the recent CBM about Kraven and didn't realize he walked among us no longer. I will be looking to get back issues of his final appearances. Sounds fascinating.

I sold my ASM 15 CGC 8.0 to GMan to fund my Detective 69 purchase. Can't say I really regret it because Tec 69 was a pain for me to find above a 6.0 and the copy I got happened to be an 8.5 tied for 2nd highest in the census. I also want to put together all his appearances above a 9.0. 893whatthe.gifKraven's been dead for like 17 years... although with his one son running around I guess some people never ecen noticed. You could just buy the Kraven's Last Hunt TPB if you want to read the story arc. Dam picked it up over the week end and I was telling him how I did a paper on it in Eng. 102 and even got in touch with Dematteis to use quotes from him in the paper.

Yup I really don't collect just sets from a specific title. I mostly collect based on villains. 893whatthe.gif I like the GA Tecs but the only ones I really buy are the Joker cover appearances and the only other ones I'm interested in are a few 1st appearances of some of the other villains, Joker interior stories, and a very few covers that are just cool. The only Marvel's I would buy anymore are Kraven the Hunter appearences, and I NEVER expect to see a registry set made just for his full appearances...

You know what would really make the Registry special?...if there was a way for each collector to enter all their CGC books and come up with a grand total for their entire collection. Naturally every major Silver Age and Golden Age title would have to be on the registry, but this way collectors who "cover collect" such as yourself could enjoy listing your books on a regisrty that caters to the collection as a whole, rather than title by title. Now that would make me join!

Timely

You know what would really make the Registry special?...if there was a way for each collector to enter all their CGC books and come up with a grand total for their entire collection. Naturally every major Silver Age and Golden Age title would have to be on the registry, but this way collectors who "cover collect" such as yourself could enjoy listing your books on a regisrty that caters to the collection as a whole, rather than title by title. Now that would make me join!

Timely

That's exactly what I was trying to convey. There should be open sets, where a collector could just enter his books, whatever they might be. I really don't see a need for a point system, which tends to be lopsided. Someone like Captain Tripps who has high grade "popular" books will dominate over someone who collects high grade horror/romance books.

I don't think the same impact the coinees registry will have the same effect on our registry.

the thing about the CGC registry sets is that its still in its infancy...

Many of you Cats can influence how it grows and how it changes.....

CGC seems very open to ideas in the Registry forum.......

If nothing else, its like a big online catalog of your collection, a virtual album so-to speak....

I dont think that people like Cap Trips, Ghost etc are using the registry to show how dominating of a collection they have, I would bet 893crossfingers-thumb.gif that they are doing it because their love for this Hobby, and proud of their collection.

In my opinion the Registry is a great place for others to visit and see how many out there still have a big hard on ( can I say that 893whatthe.gif ) for this hobby.

I don't think Capt. Tripps and Ghost Town are doing for bragging rights either. I am looking at it from someone who would not have close to the collection they do. Whether I had issues that were HG or not, I would not put my issues up. For example I have 2 early 9.8 issues of Daredevil. I would have no motivation to just put up these two issues in the registry. I'm sure there are many collectors who dabble in titles like this. I'm all for the registry, I just think the way it is, will not achieve the practicality of the coin registry.

I dont think that people like Cap Trips, Ghost etc are using the registry to show how dominating of a collection they have, I would bet 893crossfingers-thumb.gif that they are doing it because their love for this Hobby, and proud of their collection.

In my experience, adults with any intelligence almost NEVER do anything for one reason; most decisions are a melange deriving from many motivations. I find it difficult to believe that bragging rights isn't one ingredient in the mix, but love of collecting and the hobby is highly likely to be in there as well.

I don't think Capt. Tripps and Ghost Town are doing for bragging rights either. I am looking at it from someone who would not have close to the collection they do. Whether I had issues that were HG or not, I would not put my issues up. For example I have 2 early 9.8 issues of Daredevil. I would have no motivation to just put up these two issues in the registry. I'm sure there are many collectors who dabble in titles like this. I'm all for the registry, I just think the way it is, will not achieve the practicality of the coin registry.

I hear you, and yeah I believe somewhere down the line they will probably revamp, edit it or make it more appealing.

And I also am not even on the same Planet to their collections sorry.gif, but I love the ones I have thumbsup2.gif

This statement is giving me a migraine. 893frustrated.gif

This statement is giving me a migraine. 893frustrated.gif

sorry.gif

But if you think that it's a lot of work just to enter serial numbers into the registry (see your earlier post), don't you think it's a whole lot more work to scan every book and post them into the registry too? And not everyone has a scanner...

So these guys with million-dollar collections can't afford a $40 scanner?

I'm a comic collector who likes to look at, talk about, and otherwise enjoy the actual books.

If you're a numbers junkie who gets off on seeing 10049991212 (Oooooh babeee!), then I guess it's different strokes for different folks. confused-smiley-013.gif

You'd be surprised how technologically inept a lot of rich folks are! There are a few BSDs who never bid directly on eBay, Heritage or other online auctions, they have to rely on friends/agents to do it for them because they have no clue how to do it. Strange but true.

I never said I got off on seeing serial numbers. But I like seeing that so and so has a 9.6 copy of X, and "oh, that's where the only graded 9.8 of Y is". The points competition part is irrelevant to me, but if it incentivizes ego strokers to post, that's great. I just want to see what's in people's collections.

I don't feel it's beating my chest, I'm just sharing my particular collection, since I can't have you guys all over on a Saturday to hang out in the basement and show you my comics!

Why not, Hook? confused-smiley-013.gif I promise to take my shoes off before I walk into your house grin.gif

I use the registry to motivate myself to complete a collection for once. I won't pay big dollars for higher graded books because as others have said, I will never make it to the top spot.

If you look at my collection I have books graded as low as a 5.0 and if I ever complete my set, then I will be motivated to go and get higher grades for those spots, but that it typical of all collectors regardless of the registry. thumbsup2.gif