• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do People really care about the CGC registry?

53 posts in this topic

I agree, IF people would post scans instead of just being worried about the "points" and stroking their egos. I'd love to view high-end books, but the whole "chase the big number" phenomenon leaves me cold.

I see the registry, as it stands right now, as another extension of the CGC 'lets put BIG NUMBERS on our label' phenomenon.

I don't feel it's beating my chest, I'm just sharing my particular collection, since I can't have you guys all over on a Saturday to hang out in the basement and show you my comics!

Why not, Hook? confused-smiley-013.gif I promise to take my shoes off before I walk into your house grin.gif

Well, you know, I didn't think I would have to say it, but you know you guys have an open invitation! You get your butt here, I roll out the buffet wagon! And you can keep your shoes on!thumbsup2.gif

And it's not that much work once you get the hang of it. I am hoping to upload better quality scans. I don't feel it's beating my chest, I'm just sharing my particular collection, since I can't have you guys all over on a Saturday to hang out in the basement and show you my comics!

You're probably only about a 20 minute drive from me, so I'll be sure to drop by and interupt your Saturday morning cartoons.

• Administrator
I would like to see an open set registry. Where collectors can just enter their collections. So no matter what book you had you could enter, no points at all. It shouldn't be a contest, it's about enjoying the medium with others.

We actually have been kicking this idea around for both the CGC and NGC registries. Stay tuned...it may be something we offer in the future.

I think th thumbsup2.gifat would encourage a lot more people to use the registry. IT would also double as an inventory for CGC books, that wouldn't have to be tracked on Excel or another software.

• Administrator
I think the registry would be truly awesome if more people put in scans of the books they had.

You are exactly right. While it's wonderful to see so many collectors getting excited about the CGC Registry, it can be hard to see how special the Registry can be until users start posting photos and/or personal descriptions of their books.

Hoot's Classic Jeffs is a great example of a coin collection that really comes to life because of the photos and descriptions. You really get a sense for the collector's personality and his passion for the hobby.

I would like to see an open set registry. Where collectors can just enter their collections. So no matter what book you had you could enter, no points at all. It shouldn't be a contest, it's about enjoying the medium with others.

We actually have been kicking this idea around for both the CGC and NGC registries. Stay tuned...it may be something we offer in the future.

open set registry

confused.gif

That means raw books too?

My raw VGF books will have a chance at greatness!? laugh.gif

I enjoy the Registry. Although the time it takes to get sets listed is a buzz-kill. 893frustrated.gif Likewise some of the choices of sets that have been put up ahead of more deserving sets IMO is a puzzle. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overall it is great to see the BSD collections. But setting those few examples aside for the rest of us "mere mortals" it is still fun to see like collectors. Sharing similar collecting goals and even helping each other when possible. Networking goes a long way when you are looking to fill holes in your collection.

Is there an ego boost? Sure. There can be. But what's wrong with that? I'm sure many people on these boards are competitive by nature anyway. This is just another forum people can strive to excel at.