• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oh fudge.....

56 posts in this topic

One time I had tape pull on a book while I was pulling it out but lucky it was just a copy of Checkmate. Since then tape always comes off all the way.

Another time I pulled out a book to scan it which was Marvel Preview 21 and when I grabbed it out of scanner cover it had gotten stuck under the plastic and it ripped. :(

Sucks that it happens but now I dont scan books without them still being in their sleeves.

so i sit down yesterday to read one of my recent VCC pick ups and loved it (thanks shiverbones) . i got to place it back in the bag and the tape catches the book...............next thing i know, my lovely Archies Christmas Stocking #2 has a nice dime size tape pull dead centre of the book..... :pullhair:. needless to say, fudge wasent what i said.

anyone else have a story like this to make me feel not so lame?

Was looking at a 9.0/9.2 Avengers 12 at a LCS. Pulled off a half inch of the cover with the tape. Owner never noticed. I took it to the counter and paid for it. My fault.

Good for you. (thumbs u

Thank God it wasn't something valuable.

I was glad to see this thread had got to page 2 so I didn't have to scroll across the screen to read it. But no, you have to go and quote that damn photo don't you?

I broke an Amazing Fantasy #15 ... if that doesn't make you feel better, nothing will :eek:

The Life and Death of Amazing Fantasy 15

What did the AF 15 grade after the resto????

If I remember correctly it was lower then initially estimated because I went without CT to try and keep the work slight in hopes of attracting buyers who are turned off by CT.

I wish I had the back book now though as that was 3 years ago when I was still new to CT, I might have made a different decision today.

But that book has since moved on years ago and hopefully Allans heart has fully healed.

Now, who here wants me to take the time and shoot a quick video of how to remove cellophane tape if you are stoopid unfortunate

enough to have a piece stick to your comic book.

I actually have an Archie Stocking #6 that would work well. hm

And Nickwire, I didn't mean to call you stoopid, I have done it several times myself so I feel your pain.

I was glad to see this thread had got to page 2 so I didn't have to scroll across the screen to read it. But no, you have to go and quote that damn photo don't you?

I can do it again, if you'd like? :)

I can do it again, if you'd like? :)

I don't care now, I'm not reading the thread anymore. :)

scotch-removable-magic-tape.jpg (thumbs u :applause:

I use that, although it doesn't stay adhesive for that long....

Never use that stuff to pack books though. Have you ever tried peeling that mess off cardboard?

The Avengers was one the first silver age books I bought. I was around 12 when I learned to remove the tape before taking it out of the bag.

Luckily it wasn't an expensive book but it hurt none the less :cry:

The ASM was my second lesson, I had to probably mow ten lawns for it :o

I carefully removed the tape before opening it, but I was so nervous because this was a big purchase for me at the time.

My hands were getting a little sweaty as I was going to brave reading it,

the sweat mixed with the inks and there goes a little ink off spideys leg and some nice smudges below

Avengerstapepull.jpg

ASM20.jpg

Talk about impromptu videos. :blush:

It is worth mentioning that your results can vary depending on the era,

and type of book the tape is stuck to. And how long it was stuck, this method is NOT recommended for decades old tape. It is meant as a "quick fix" for tape accidents

Also, if you apply too much solvent at once you can create tide lines or even create a clean area on the opposite side.

So you need to decide if you would rather have a nasty tape pull, or possibly create tide lines if things go bad.

It sure beats ripping the tape off.