• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oh fudge.....

56 posts in this topic

I had a dealer in Detroit insist on taking a $2500 copy of X-men #2 out of a bag for me. I insisted I knew what he was doing but he would not let me take it out of the bag. So he did...and stuck tape to the front cover. After tearing off a nice chunk of the cover I told him I would pass on the book.

:eyeroll:

Talk about impromptu videos. :blush:

It is worth mentioning that your results can vary depending on the era,

and type of book the tape is stuck to. And how long it was stuck, this method is NOT recommended for decades old tape. It is meant as a "quick fix" for tape accidents

Also, if you apply too much solvent at once you can create tide lines or even create a clean area on the opposite side.

So you need to decide if you would rather have a nasty tape pull, or possibly create tide lines if things go bad.

It sure beats ripping the tape off.

Ze-man, will the undo solvent work on comments I have made about my wifes cooking ?

and type of book the tape is stuck to. And how long it was stuck, this method is NOT recommended for decades old tape. It is meant as a "quick fix" for tape accidents

Also, if you apply too much solvent at once you can create tide lines or even create a clean area on the opposite side.

So you need to decide if you would rather have a nasty tape pull, or possibly create tide lines if things go bad.

Ze-man, will the undo solvent work on comments I have made about my wifes cooking ?

I would say no, but, jewelry might do the trick.

Kenny, will Ellen be opening her presents from Santa using this method?

Thanks for the video, very nice! And Merry Christmas to you, too!!!

Yes, we are big on saving the Holiday Gift wrap, and this way there will be nary a tape pull.

But the downside is it takes of 2 days to open everything.

Yes, we are big on saving the Holiday Gift wrap, and this way there will be nary a tape pull.

It's ok. It will teach her patience. I remember when I used to have to open my presents, walking backwards, uphill from the local junk yard to keep the sleet and snow out of my eyes. By the time I got home all of my presents had rusted and I had to return them to the yard. And I got beaten if I didn't get home under curfew.

It's ok. It will teach her patience. I remember when I used to have to open my presents, walking backwards, uphill from the local junk yard to keep the sleet and snow out of my eyes. By the time I got home all of my presents had rusted and I had to return them to the yard. And I got beaten if I didn't get home under curfew.

Slacker, at least you didn't have to go out in the backyard and pick out your own "whippin stick"

Slacker, at least you didn't have to go out in the backyard and pick out your own "whippin stick"

Nope. My dad was kind enough to do that himself. He understood that we were busy.

:insane:

If I remember correctly it was lower then initially estimated because I went without CT to try and keep the work slight in hopes of attracting buyers who are turned off by CT.

I wish I had the back book now though as that was 3 years ago when I was still new to CT, I might have made a different decision today.

But that book has since moved on years ago and hopefully Allans heart has fully healed.

You are correct (thumbs u It got a 3.0 (P) but it still ended up getting a "Moderate" label.

In fact there wasn't a lot of work done that wasn't really needed...cover was put back together and the pages + covers were washed. But there was no cosmetic resto at all...I think Kenny and I were both in our "pure" stage and we were touting "conservation" not "restoration" lol

I though the book still looked great in the purple label, but I just couldn't keep it as it reminded me too much of that second of pure hell. I traded it with Cryptkeeper and he loves it like a little puppy dog to this day.

But I do wonder what would happen to the grade if CT was used and maybe some very minor leafcasting to fill in the missing corners...

here is what the book looked like after the cover was put back together and before it got slabbed...still a very pretty book :cloud9:

th_af15cover.jpg