• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever use BCW Mylars?

40 posts in this topic

I honestly don't get why anyone would ever buy from Bill Cole - like moondog said, the mylars sold by E Gerber are identical to the ones sold by Bill Cole. And the E Gerber mylar is less than half the price :shrug:

An example:

- 200 Mylites2 (2 mil) from E Gerber in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $37.00

- 200 Arklites2 (2 mil) from Bill Cole in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $78.00

What's wrong with BCW boards? :(

Here is an excerpt of a blurb I put together a while back when I was selling more Gerber boards:

... BCW recommends replacing those materials every 3-5 years. For long term archival storage, only acid free boards that meet the US Government's MINIMUM requirements: "containing 3% calcium carbonate buffer THROUGHOUT" the board are acceptable. If your boards are labeled "Coated" or are "shiny" on one side, they do NOT meet this minimum requirement and although they are labeled "acid free", they are only acid free for a very short time after manufacture. This is because the board is not impregnated with CaCO3, it only has a thin layer, spray coated on the exterior. Several varieties of comic life extenders are simply thinner, spray coated boards.

Now, if you think you are in good shape, because none of your boards have that shiny coating, you are almost certainly mistaken, because the majority of non-coated boards bought at brick and mortar comic shops are chipboard. Chipboard is even worse, because it does not have ANY CaCO3 buffer. Chipboard should be immediately removed from any comic you wish to preserve.

I honestly don't get why anyone would ever buy from Bill Cole - like moondog said, the mylars sold by E Gerber are identical to the ones sold by Bill Cole. And the E Gerber mylar is less than half the price :shrug:

An example:

- 200 Mylites2 (2 mil) from E Gerber in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $37.00

- 200 Arklites2 (2 mil) from Bill Cole in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $78.00

+1

Makes no sense do me either. Bags Unlimited's prices are off the board too. Stick with Hot Flip's. :whee:

DR.X

man i need to get around to buying some of these. Shipping expense is just so damn prohibitive. Anyone know the best place to get E Gerbers in the Central FL area?

Get your stuff from Hotflips if they come to Megacon next spring.

(shrug)

they are not coming to sunny FL... :sorry:

Hmm...they were just in Atlanta...maybe if we kind find a Bikini or a Kilt bar in Orlando, Jeff might be persuaded to come.

:banana:

There were only a couple vendors that sold Mylar2's in the EU or UK last time I checked, but I don't recall if anyone stocked fullbacks. The problem is the shipping on the boards is prohibitively high. We usually just use flat rate boxes to ship internationally and the cost is only obscene rather than downright criminal.

What's the consensus on replacing mylars? I know they are the choice for archiving and should last many years, but I'm using top loaders from Ultra-Pro that are ~9 years old and they're starting to split at the seams.

The benefit of mylar is that it is chemically inert which means that it shouldn't be subject to chemical changes that happen with poly bags.

That being said, they should not need to be replaced except when there is a problem like splitting.

I've replaced some if they show heavy wear from handling just because it makes the book inside look nicer.

I like the heavy weight type with an open end. The fold over ends are so stiff that they can damage books when they are inserted or removed.

man i need to get around to buying some of these. Shipping expense is just so damn prohibitive. Anyone know the best place to get E Gerbers in the Central FL area?

(shrug)

Hmm...they were just in Atlanta...maybe if we kind find a Bikini or a Kilt bar in Orlando, Jeff might be persuaded to come.

hm:banana:

(shrug)

hm:banana:

Plenty of bikinis in Orlando, I'll tell you that. Don't know about kilts, though.

:insane:

An example:

- 200 Mylites2 (2 mil) from E Gerber in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $37.00- 200 Arklites2 (2 mil) from Bill Cole in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $78.00

It's E.Gerber all the way for me anyway. Much cheaper, but lately I've been ordering from HotFlips. They have exceptional service.

I bought 5,000 super GA Mylars from Jef Hinds before he got out of the biz in the 90s. I still have a few hundred left!

Gary, you sure Hinds is out of the mylar business? I actually like the 4mil Mylars he sells with the short flap. They are a little taller than Cole's or Gerber's and wont fit into a regular box, just a Magazine box. But its alot easier to get the book in. You dont have to fight the flap to get a book in or out.

I talked to him sometime earlier in the year and he said he still carries the mylars but just does'nt list them on his site. (shrug)

DR.X

I saw Jef during Wizard World in August and he said he still has some Mylars left, but he's not manufacturing them anymore - or at least not marketing them.

An example:

- 200 Mylites2 (2 mil) from E Gerber in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $37.00- 200 Arklites2 (2 mil) from Bill Cole in the standard 7 1/4 x 10 1/2 size = $78.00

It's E.Gerber all the way for me anyway. Much cheaper, but lately I've been ordering from HotFlips. They have exceptional service.

I prefer EGerber.

Hotflips didn't do so well with me on my first order, likely because I am in Canada.