• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob question on what to submit to CGC

52 posts in this topic

I don't understand why people are joining the Collectors Society when they don't have any good books to submit. It's free to submit to CGC people. FREE. (In fact, you can still get the 10% discount). You don't have to join anything.

FREE.

I joined to get a look at the census as a basis for assessing possible submissions,and to get grading knowledge from the gallery. I think I might also be able to get info on specific slabs I see for sale. It was only $39. Was this a mistake?

I don't understand why people are joining the Collectors Society when they don't have any good books to submit. It's free to submit to CGC people. FREE. (In fact, you can still get the 10% discount). You don't have to join anything.

FREE.

I joined to get a look at the census as a basis for assessing possible submissions,and to get grading knowledge from the gallery. I think I might also be able to get info on specific slabs I see for sale. It was only $39. Was this a mistake?

NO.

Plus you can track all your submission thru invoive #.

FREE.

You may want get several opinions. Only a stupidman would put all his eggs in a clearly anti-CGC basket. There are plenty of good opinions already posted here. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

FREE.

Well,you don't know for a fact that they don't have any good books to submit.

I do know that i only send my books thru either Express or Walk-thru,so the

"3 Free coupon" was well worth 3 Express submissions...even tho they are a little slower,the books values had to go that tier anyways,and it is cheaper than 3 Expess books getting subbed.

#2...MOST IMPORTANT....i want to be able to track my submissions the whole way.PERIOD. When i have $3K-5K of books being mailed to CGC at any given time,i like to know CGC has them,when they are "VERIFIED" and i can see what the grades are,days ahead of any other way,even sometime 2 days ahead of recieving the "image".Thats why. It's the smartest $100 to spend when subbing high dollar books to CGC on a regular basis.

Right, but I'm not sure why you think what I said applies to you. Having several $5,000 books to sub is the perfect reason to join the Collectors Society. What I said was "they don't have any good books to submit". Would you really need to pay $100 to track an FF #21 in VG?

FREE.

You may want get several opinions. Only a stupidman would put all his eggs in a clearly anti-CGC basket. There are plenty of good opinions already posted here. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

I see you forgot to mention that the Census is free for anyone to use, as is the "info on specific slabs I see for sale" (grading notes). (thumbs u

FREE.

I see you forgot to mention that the Census is free for anyone to use, as is the "info on specific slabs I see for sale" (grading notes). (thumbs u

"Cert look up" (slab label #'s and info)is NOT free.Census is.

FREE.

I can call CGC toll-free and get grading notes for any CGC book in existence for free (shrug)

FREE.

I didn't fail to mention anything, Stu. For me it is worth it so I can check my invoices online. No more no less. The noob should get lots of opinions, including yours. But you trying to shout down Collectors Society membership is counterproductive. Join the hivemind. Drink the Kool-Aid.

FREE.

I can call CGC toll-free and get grading notes for any CGC book in existence for free (shrug)

What can you tell me about label # 0993715006 right now on a Sunday night,when it ends on Ebay in an Hr and you want the grade date info,ect,to consider if it falls in that "strick grading dates" window,and if it's a good candidate for resubmitting? Have fun calling CGC toll free.....

I however,can look it up,and know...recently graded.

CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP

Certification # 0993715006

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Page Quality CREAM TO OFF-WHITE

Grade Text

Art Comments Stan Lee story Jack Kirby

Wally Wood and Frank Giacoia art

Jack Kirby Wally Wood Chic Stone cover

Key Comments Daredevil and Doctor Doom appearance.

Issue Year 1965

FREE.

What can you tell me about label # 0993715006 right now on a Sunday night,when it ends on Ebay in an Hr and you want the grade date info,ect,to consider if it falls in that "strick grading dates" window,and if it's a good candidate for resubmitting? Have fun calling CGC toll free.....

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Grade Text

Issue Year 1965

Where are the grading notes (since that's what I specifically said)?

(And everything but the slab date is on the slab itself).

FREE.

I didn't fail to mention anything, Stu. For me it is worth it so I can check my invoices online. No more no less. The noob should get lots of opinions, including yours. But you trying to shout down Collectors Society membership is counterproductive. Join the hivemind. Drink the Kool-Aid.

If you'll take note, I mentioned above that there is a great time to buy a Membership - when it's worth it. I understand about being able to track invoices online, but the OP made no specific mention of that. The specific things he mentioned are free to anyone. I thought I was being relatively objective - I'm stating facts, not making things up.

FREE.

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Grade Text

Issue Year 1965

Well EVERYONE has to call CGC for Graders notes...no matter who you are,thats obvious.And you are right,you did say in parenthases grade notes,i give you that..

My point was,without access to the Cert look-up,you cannot instantly know when a book was graded in a moments notice.I know full well that if i see a 9.2/9.4 book listed,and the cert date after being looked up is from that "few months window" not too long ago,i THEN will call CGC for more specifics.

Do you think I or CGC has the time for excessive calls regarding Label # info?

You only get 3 a day anyways with calls....some days i look up dozens of books by label #,and pick 3 i want "specifics" on that fall in the "window of dates".

But then again,i don't know you,and maybe you have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to "strict grade date window" from CGC a couple of years ago,and what dates are good for re-subs. (shrug)

I know i've done my homework.

FREE.

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Grade Text

Issue Year 1965

Well EVERYONE has to call CGC for Graders notes...no matter who you are,thats obvious.

Thank you for illustrating my point - this fact and others do NOT seem obvious to the OP. It's obvious to me that the Census is free, but he thought you had to pay to see that info. That's what I'm talking about.

But then again,i don't know you,and maybe you have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to "strict grade date window" from CGC a couple of years ago,and what dates are good for re-subs.

And I've done my homework, I've read this Board since early 2002. Plus I'm not a Speculator so I don't need to know which books are good re-sub candidates.

FREE.

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Grade Text

Issue Year 1965

Well EVERYONE has to call CGC for Graders notes...no matter who you are,thats obvious.

Thank you for illustrating my point - this fact and others do NOT seem obvious to the OP. It's obvious to me that the Census is free, but he thought you had to pay to see that info. That's what I'm talking about.

But then again,i don't know you,and maybe you have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to "strict grade date window" from CGC a couple of years ago,and what dates are good for re-subs.

And I've done my homework, I've read this Board since early 2002. Plus I'm not a Speculator so I don't need to know which books are good re-sub candidates.

Fair enough.

Everyone has their own opinions and needs for CGC,the census,and online access,just like you and me.Neither is right,nor wrong.

I personally enjoy the challange of hunting down a good re-sub candidate. (thumbs u

FREE.

If you aren't submitting moderns, and the books raw value is over the cost to get them slabbed ($36.33 for the 3 coupons in the membership) have at it and submit away. To get picky you can write off the cost of archiving materials you get with the slab (micro-chamber paper, hard protective slab, etc)

I don't see why you would think the only reason for a membership is if you have books worth over 1k to submit. $36.33 per slab as a member, trackable at each step of the process vs $32 for any submission thats not a modern. People that can afford to submit 30+ books at a time for grading don't need help picking out what books to submit. For regular collectors like myself the cheapest I could submit is $32 a book less the 10% discount, its really not much more at all for a premium membership to get the 3 subs.

FREE.

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Grade Text

Issue Year 1965

Shouldn't that be "I've been banned from this board over a dozen times since early 2002"?

FREE.

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Grade Text

Issue Year 1965

Shouldn't that be "I've been banned from this board over a dozen times since early 2002"?

:o:roflmao: