• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob question on what to submit to CGC

52 posts in this topic

So I have reentered the hobby after a 23 year hiatus. Started in 1972.

I have been on a buying spree, mostly 3.5-6.0 SA raw. A few might go 7.0. Some minor keys examples: GL 87, FF21, 28, Sgt Fury 13, etc. Also filling in early runs of FF, JOM, TTA, ST (hero) etc.

I also have some ultra HG 80's books (no TMNT).

I joined CGC.

What do I look for in a book that makes it worthy of submission? I don't think any of my silver/bronze would go over 7.5.

I am interested in your opinions.

I recently joined as well.

When coming up with my first submissions I focused on relevance and monetary value... not so much grade.

Eventually a lot more will be submitted but this is how I decided on my first 3 (4).

Also I refrained from books that I thought might've had some work done to them.

How discouraging would that be for one of your coupons to be used on a PLOD?!

Not that I mind plods... just as long as I know beforehand! :)

BTW- Welcome to the boards!

I disagree.

Submit what you want for whatever reason. Maybe you think it'll display nicely, you like the slab itself, you wanna preserve it while displaying it, the possibilities are endless.

And I disagree with both of you :grin:

There's no hard & fast answer here - thinking that people only send books to CGC because they intend to sell said book is just as silly as encouraging people to never regard monetary value as a factor when it comes to choosing the books they're sending in.

The truth of the matter is that most of us slab books for a variety of reasons - for resale, for the resto check, for authentication (Signature Series), for sentimental reasons, or simply because we enjoy collecting CGC'ed books.

As CGC'ing isn't free, though, it's never a bad thing to know whether it's worth it or not prior to sending in a book. You may decide to send it in anyway because you want a slabbed copy of a certain book no matter what, but if you don't know what you're doing, you can very easily flush a lot of money down the toilet by slabbing books that wouldn't recoup the CGC fees if sold.

I think going for profit or value is the wrong way to go in the hobby you should simply collect what you like & nothing more other wise you will often feel burned on stuff since prices jump up & down all the time... :S

I think going for profit or value is the wrong way to go in the hobby you should simply collect what you like & nothing more other wise you will often feel burned on stuff since prices jump up & down all the time... :S

The OP isn't asking for tips on what he should collect - he's asking for help on what he should submit to CGC. There's a pretty big difference.

I think mscmidt's point is a good one...

I was (admittedly) a big fan of The Omega Men in the early 80's. I have a #1 copy that's probably somewhere in the 8. 0 / 8.5 range that has sentimental value to me but spending $40 to slab a $2 book doesn't sound right.

2c

I think mscmidt's point is a good one...

I was (admittedly) a big fan of The Omega Men in the early 80's. I have a #1 copy that's probably somewhere in the 8. 0 / 8.5 range that has sentimental value to me but spending $40 to slab a $2 book doesn't sound right.

2c

Maybe not to you, but it might to the poster...although, I would recommend finding a nicer looking copy, but just for the sheer appearance of it all.

The key is to start with books that you really like, because there is definitely a learning curve for submissions. My first modern submission had many 9.6s that I thought were 9.9-10.0 candidates. But even those 9.6s weren't tragedies because I subbed my OO copies of some books that I really liked, like Crisis 1, NTT 44, and WDC&S 512.

My first Econ sub was a real mixed bag - from JIM 124 in 9.6 to FF 57 in 9.0 to ASM 25 in 8.0. I thought all of them were 9.6+ books. :insane: Econs typically have the ability to be more likely to be worth some bread even if you are off the mark by a grade or so.

Don't squirrel money down the rathole, but if you feel like you are ready to try a sub choose the best books you can with the best grades and have fun with it.

I have been on a buying spree, mostly 3.5-6.0 SA raw. A few might go 7.0. Some minor keys examples: GL 87, FF21, 28, Sgt Fury 13, etc. Also filling in early runs of FF, JOM, TTA, ST (hero) etc.

I joined CGC.

What do I look for in a book that makes it worthy of submission? I don't think any of my silver/bronze would go over 7.5.

WTTH (welcome to the hobby)

Slab what you want but you should keep in mind that many books aren't worth slabbing. Spending $20 or $30 slabbing a book that will only sell for $30 after being slabbed is a waste of $$. Have a look at the Clink ebetter auction; hundreds of mid grade, non-key SA and BA books that will sell for less than the cost of the slab.

Slabs were created to facilitate on-line sales where a book couldn't be inspected in person. For keepers in your collection there is nothing wrong with a nice mylar and backing board although that is personal choice.

Consider subscribing to GPA, google GPA comics, for about $9 per month or checking auction prices at Clink or Heritage before slabbing a book. Check to see what a CGC graded copy sells for in the grade you think the book is.

Post some of your books in the grading forum to see if your grading matches up with experienced graders who have submitted to CGC.

I joined CGC.

Most of the books you mentioned in low to mid grade are not worth the slabbing fees as they are plentiful in those grades as raw books. Only slab them if you just want the books graded for your collection and don't care that they would sell for a loss.

As suggested, subscribe to GPA (comics.gpanalysis.com) for 1 month at around $9 US and check out the realized sales of the books you are thinking of slabbing. You can cancel GPA after that first month of research. You may not even find much sales data surrounding your books in low/mid grade because getting such books slabbed is actually cost prohibitive so there just aren't many out there, especially for non-key issues.

You can also use the CGC census at CGCComics.com to check the population of your books that have been slabbed. This wont necessarily give you an indication of your book being scarce if you don't find many slabbed low/mid grade copies, but more likely would be an indication that the SA/BA book isn't worth being slabbed at that grade range.

Both GPA and the CGC census are great research tools for unraveling the mysteries of what to slab and what not to. Good luck and happy slabbing!

Everybody here has made valid arguments for how they personally feel about which books to sub.

I guess it's based on individual preference.

From a purely economic standpoint it makes no sense to pay to preserve a book that can be replaced multiple times over with the cost of slabbing.

But from an emotional standpoint there is no profit motive. The sentimental value a particular book has is priceless to someone and worthless to another.

For me there is no right or wrong answer. Keep subbing whatever floats your boat. hm

I don't understand why people are joining the Collectors Society when they don't have any good books to submit. It's free to submit to CGC people. FREE. (In fact, you can still get the 10% discount). You don't have to join anything.

FREE.

Well,you don't know for a fact that they don't have any good books to submit.

I do know that i only send my books thru either Express or Walk-thru,so the

"3 Free coupon" was well worth 3 Express submissions...even tho they are a little slower,the books values had to go that tier anyways,and it is cheaper than 3 Expess books getting subbed.

#2...MOST IMPORTANT....i want to be able to track my submissions the whole way.PERIOD. When i have $3K-5K of books being mailed to CGC at any given time,i like to know CGC has them,when they are "VERIFIED" and i can see what the grades are,days ahead of any other way,even sometime 2 days ahead of recieving the "image".Thats why. It's the smartest $100 to spend when subbing high dollar books to CGC on a regular basis.