• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Noob question on what to submit to CGC

52 posts in this topic

I don't understand why people are joining the Collectors Society when they don't have any good books to submit. It's free to submit to CGC people. FREE. (In fact, you can still get the 10% discount). You don't have to join anything.

FREE.

I joined to get a look at the census as a basis for assessing possible submissions,and to get grading knowledge from the gallery. I think I might also be able to get info on specific slabs I see for sale. It was only $39. Was this a mistake?

You may want get several opinions. Only a stupidman would put all his eggs in a clearly anti-CGC basket. There are plenty of good opinions already posted here. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

I see you forgot to mention that the Census is free for anyone to use, as is the "info on specific slabs I see for sale" (grading notes). (thumbs u

"Cert look up" (slab label #'s and info)is NOT free.Census is.

I can call CGC toll-free and get grading notes for any CGC book in existence for free (shrug)

What can you tell me about label # 0993715006 right now on a Sunday night,when it ends on Ebay in an Hr and you want the grade date info,ect,to consider if it falls in that "strick grading dates" window,and if it's a good candidate for resubmitting? Have fun calling CGC toll free.....

I however,can look it up,and know...recently graded.

CERTIFICATION NUMBER LOOK UP

Certification # 0993715006

Grade Date 10/01/2010

Title Fantastic Four

Issue 39

Issue Date 6/65

Publisher Marvel Comics

Country

Variant

Pedigree

Category Universal

Grade 9.4

Page Quality CREAM TO OFF-WHITE

Grade Text

Art Comments Stan Lee story Jack Kirby

Wally Wood and Frank Giacoia art

Jack Kirby Wally Wood Chic Stone cover

Key Comments Daredevil and Doctor Doom appearance.

Issue Year 1965

Where are the grading notes (since that's what I specifically said)?

(And everything but the slab date is on the slab itself).

Well EVERYONE has to call CGC for Graders notes...no matter who you are,thats obvious.

Thank you for illustrating my point - this fact and others do NOT seem obvious to the OP. It's obvious to me that the Census is free, but he thought you had to pay to see that info. That's what I'm talking about.

But then again,i don't know you,and maybe you have no idea what i'm talking about when it comes to "strict grade date window" from CGC a couple of years ago,and what dates are good for re-subs.

And I've done my homework, I've read this Board since early 2002. Plus I'm not a Speculator so I don't need to know which books are good re-sub candidates.

Shouldn't that be "I've been banned from this board over a dozen times since early 2002"?

That's obvious.

And it's ironic that Batty Scrooge chimed in here, since he's one of the three people in the last 2 weeks I've had to educate about the Collector's Society. And for more irony, Ms Schmidt defended me in that thread to Batty! Weird.

How is it ironic, this thread seems to support my opinion better than yours; 2 weeks after your education, here is another thread where people are not aware you don't have to be a member to submit and get the discount.

Please educate yourself on the proper reading of a thread title, considering this is a different topic than CGC vs PGX. It would appear your education was a non-factor and now the op is a premium member looking to use his 3 free coupons. You wasted this guy an extra $4.33 per slab, wait add in the 10% he wasn't clear he could get otherwise and now its $7.53 per slab of non-moderns, and all he gets out of the deal is a membership card and tracking at each step of the process. :)

We should both put our money where our mouth is and give our mothers or non-comic-girl wives a high dollar ($300+) raw book, with links to the CGC and PGX sites and no other details and see what happens. Has to be a total noob that knows nothing about comics or either company.

Back to topic! Op, your magic number is $36.33, not $28.80, but enjoy the tracking, you get to use that all year for all your submissions, making that extra money and this topic disappear with each submission!!

TF: don't bother subbing your high grade 80's. The market is terrible for them.

Oh, people want them. They just want them for free.

(thumbs u

Page 5, and I finally get a specific answer to a specific question. Thanks Rock

Lets cut to the chase

Slab?:

GL/GA 87 7.0-7.5

JiM 103 7.0-7.5

ToS 57 7.0-7.5

FF 28 7.0-7.5

Also, I just got the $39 membership, which either makes me stupider or smarter based on my understanding of the continued bickering. My intent with this question was not to find out how to get something slabbed for $28 or $32 or whatever, that's kind of chump change isn't it?

I was more interested in the qualities people look for in books to sub, and whether the books mentioned might be decent candidates, as they seem like the best possibilities I have.

I only mentioned the 80's stuff, because I have no money in them and they were hand picked from incoming bundles and are super HG.

You've already gotten plenty of answers.

Your reason for subbing the books will determine what to sub.

If you're subbing because you like the look of a slab then sub everything you love.

If you're subbing for resale then don't sub anything that is worth less than the cost of the slab. A subscription to www.gpanalysis.com and a copy of the Overstreet Price Guide will help you figure out what stuff is worth.

It's not rocket science.

(shrug)

The only problem you're going to have is how to figure out roughly what grade a book will CGC at and that is just trial and error on your part unless you already are a decent grader.

And it's ironic that Batty Scrooge chimed in here, since he's one of the three people in the last 2 weeks I've had to educate about the Collector's Society. And for more irony, Ms Schmidt defended me in that thread to Batty! Weird.

Ms. Schmidt.

:cloud9:

(thumbs u

Lets cut to the chase

Slab?:

GL/GA 87 7.0-7.5

JiM 103 7.0-7.5

ToS 57 7.0-7.5

FF 28 7.0-7.5

GL #87 - no

JIM #103 - yes

TOS #57 - yes

FF #28 - yes

Also, I just got the $39 membership, which either makes me stupider or smarter based on my understanding of the continued bickering. My intent with this question was not to find out how to get something slabbed for $28 or $32 or whatever, that's kind of chump change isn't it?

I was more interested in the qualities people look for in books to sub, and whether the books mentioned might be decent candidates, as they seem like the best possibilities I have.

I only mentioned the 80's stuff, because I have no money in them and they were hand picked from incoming bundles and are super HG.

I have acres of high grade 80's stuff. I spent 1990-today handpicking the best of the best.

Unfortunately, apparently everyone else did, too. There's just no shortage of this stuff in high grade, unless you move away from mainstream X, Spidey, Bats titles, and the stuff that's not mainstream, no one wants.

Now, people are conditioned to paying $15 for their 9.8 non-key Copper/early Modern, and scoff at prices over $30 for special orders, not realizing that it takes quite a bit of time and effort to slab these books.

I'll just wait for the market to rebound. If it never does, look for my heirs to be dumping a lot of high grade books on the market when I kick the bucket.

I'm really not complaining. It is what it is. If you're a high grade buyer of 1975-up books, it is an AMAZING time to be in the market. Prices for these books haven't been like this since the very earliy 90's (adjusted for inflation and "slab boost".)

I mean, really...9.8, nearly flawless copies of John Byrne X-Men for $50?

Really?? :o

Now, people are conditioned to paying $15 for their 9.8 non-key Copper/early Modern, and scoff at prices over $30 for special orders, not realizing that it takes quite a bit of time and effort to slab these books.

I'll go $35.

(thumbs u

Lets cut to the chase

Slab?:

GL/GA 87 7.0-7.5

JiM 103 7.0-7.5

ToS 57 7.0-7.5

FF 28 7.0-7.5

Personally, I'd say yes to all of the above. The GL/GA 87 is a personal favorite of mine so even though it's not breaking the stratosphere of grades... it's still an awesome book!

As for the membership... I think what you've done is just fine!

:)

How is it ironic, this thread seems to support my opinion better than yours;

It's ironic because 2 weeks ago you didn't know what you were talking about, I had to educate you :makepoint: