• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High dollar comics and high interest debt (was Comic Conspiracy...)

45 posts in this topic

lol! Getting back to the topic, the most I've ever paid for a comic purchase was $102 - but that was for 150 bronze/modern FF & Avengers issues. Filled in a LOT of holes. My goal is to either trade for issues that I want, or get them for $1 or less per issue (that's where the fun comes in for me). The most I've paid for any one issue has been $10, and that was for Green Lantern vol. 2 (Hal as GL) #7.

I pay my credit card off every month, so I just use it for the convenience, and I have a rewards card that gives me a whopping 1% back on all purchases except gas (for gas I get a colossal 3% back). But I know it's reeeeeeaaaaalllyyy easy to get into a LOT of trouble VERY quickly. We live in a microwave/ATM society, where instant gratification is just a click away.

I'm also a firm believer in "first things first". Having money in the bank, in my 401k plan, and in my IRAs (and having ZERO debt) is a lot more fulfilling than a comic that I'll lose sleep over, wondering how I'm going to pay for it, how I'm going to explain the purchase to my fiance, or if I'll ever be able to get my money back when/if I sell it someday.

Honestly, I consider myself "out of my league" compared to a lot of people (actually most of the people) on this site when it comes to collecting, but I'm determined to keep my hobby in its proper place in my priority list, and in its proper perspective. I may never have the comics/collection that a lot of you have, and I do get envious sometimes, but I've got to enjoy where I am and what I have, instead of constantly chasing and bemoaning where I'm not and what I don't have.

While there are few Big Money peope on the forum,I think the majority are like myself,spending a couple of hundred a month tops.I might make one of two large dollar purchases a year, but these come from money I've gotten from selling other books. One of my goals is to get rid of my bulk books and use that money to buy better books.I'd like to get to the point where I could have all my books in one place,maybe 1500-2000 books total.

Later today,I'm meeting a forum member and whatever money I get from his purchases,I'll be scouring Ebay for a book or two to replace them with. thumbsup2.gif

This thread just reminded me to pay my credit card bill...

foreheadslap.gif was that today????foreheadslap.gif

Still being relatively new, so this may be off base, but it seems odd that most people are denying spending big money on books. I've read on more than one occasion that this board is populated by people that spend on some books. There's also the pretty book of the day posts.

Am I missing something, or just being my typical obtuse self.

I've spent a LOT of money on books in the past two years. Just ask my wife. flamed.gif

To be honest, online purchasing has made it convenient to run up the bill quickly. I've since curbed my habits and am back on track. Everyone's spending level will differ depending on discretionary income (and credit limits) but the key is to keep it in perspective--which I didn't. Historically I've managed money fairly well but I've lost my senses from time to time. My renewed focus is just what I need.

I got my mojo back baby yeah! acclaim.gif

Still being relatively new, so this may be off base, but it seems odd that most people are denying spending big money on books. I've read on more than one occasion that this board is populated by people that spend on some books. There's also the pretty book of the day posts.

No, you're not way off base, I think you've got a good point. With all the stuff in the Marketplace and in the "Guaranteed-to-make-you-jealous book of the day' posts (not to mention the fervor over CGC-graded books), I also find it hard to believe that people haven't dropped some SERIOUS money on comics, too. That's part of what gives me the "I am SO way out of my league" feeling about this place most of the time.

Am I missing something, or just being my typical obtuse self.

There have been several Polls on this issue, check out the polls forum for some data. There are quite a few lawyers on board here, as well as other highly-paid professionals. The top Marvel Collectors (C_Tripps, Ghost_Town, and Brulato) either bought the books before the big spike, or have the discretionary income to have expensive toys, so the top registry collections weren't bought post-CGC (for the most part).

Finally...how/where/when one spends their $$ is a rather private thing, so I wouldn't expect people to be sharing their personal finances on a public forum, esp those collectors with high-finances, or high-debt!

Finally...how/where/when one spends their $$ is a rather private thing, so I wouldn't expect people to be sharing their personal finances on a public forum, esp those collectors with high-finances, or high-debt!

True, and good point. If someone is in financial trouble (due to buying comics, or for whatever reason), they have little reason to broadcast that fact here.

I don't always pay for stuff in cash because i like the credit card protection sometimes. I pay off my bill every month, though.

I buy everything cash, owe nothing, and my only liability is my mini-me $500 Paypal-only credit card. Live like that and you'lll sleep well my friends. thumbsup2.gif

I can only really buy the books I do for three reasons--I lived at home until I was 29 and spent virtually no money, I have no kids, and I made nice money doing MCSE/MCSD technical training in the late 1990s before the "dot com" bubble burst. My salary is almost back up to that same level again since I'm more experienced, but it's still about 15% lower now than it was in 2000.

Same here!!!

No, you're not way off base, I think you've got a good point. With all the stuff in the Marketplace and in the "Guaranteed-to-make-you-jealous book of the day' posts (not to mention the fervor over CGC-graded books), I also find it hard to believe that people haven't dropped some SERIOUS money on comics, too. That's part of what gives me the "I am SO way out of my league" feeling about this place most of the time.

I don't always pay for stuff in cash because i like the credit card protection sometimes. I pay off my bill every month, though.

Sure, and I don't mean to say that I don't have or use a credit card, but more that when we go shopping, we tend to take cash or use the bank card. If the CC is brought out for expediency, then my wife is already mentally paying it off. Anytime we make a significant purchase (ie. car) we dang well better have enough cash to buy it, or it's not going in the driveway.

And yes, my wife was born and raised in Europe. confused.gif

Sure, and I don't mean to say that I don't have or use a credit card, but more that when we go shopping, we tend to take cash or use the bank card. If the CC is brought out for expediency, then my wife is already mentally paying it off. Anytime we make a significant purchase (ie. car) we dang well better have enough cash to buy it, or it's not going in the driveway.

And yes, my wife was born and raised in Europe. confused.gif

Like I said before - I pay for everything with my Visa card, I pay cash for almost nothing. When the bill comes at the end of the month, I pay it. My Visa bill this month is for about $5000 (lots of business travel to Ottawa). I'll write them a check - I just got 5000 miles. I figure I get a free trip a year this way. It also makes bookkeeping and tax season much much easier.

As long as I pay the bill every month, its the same as cash, and I get free stuff out of the deal. The trick is to pay for EVERYTHING with plastic. Even a $1.25 soda at the gas station.

And the car thing, you need to look at the time value of money - if a car company offers me the ability to buy a $25000 car with 1) nothing down 2) 72 months to pay and 3) no interest, I'm all over it. I can pay $25000 now or pay you 1/72 of $25000 for 6 years with no interest? Thanks for the free cash!

And the car thing, you need to look at the time value of money - if a car company offers me the ability to buy a $25000 car with 1) nothing down 2) 72 months to pay and 3) no interest, I'm all over it. I can pay $25000 now or pay you 1/72 of $25000 for 6 years with no interest? Thanks for the free cash!

Yea I need to buy a new car soon under these kinds of terms before times get better and they stop offering interest-free loans juggle.gif

I give my self an allowance every two weeks. If I want to buy a book that's more then my allowance then I have to save up to get it. I use a separate bank account at a separate bank and do almost all my transactions via Paypal or debit card tied to that account.

I leave my credit cards at zero so I can pay for emergency stuff like flying my wife and daughter out of town for a funeral this week. It'll take me about 8-10 weeks to pay that card back down to zero. Credit cards are good, but only if they are used correctly.

Sorry to hear the bad news. Be sure to save all the paperwork/boarding passes/tickets/whatever and ask the airline for a bereavement discount if the funeral was for a close/immediate family member. A typical discount can be 50%!