• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Funny/Interesting Stories

38 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any funny stories from shows or comic shops (no ebay stuff, cause we know how ridiculous that can get)?

Example: I went to my local shop the other day, and saw a TOS #58 that was totally faded out. They wanted $70 for it. I hardly ever buy back issues from them, as there are few, but this really had me laughing. I told them they'd better lower the price if they hoped to sell it. (Well, I guess that's not very funny, but, you get the point...I hope).

Another one: I was at a show years ago (I guess I was 16) and got into a pretty good battle with Doug Mahnke (sp?), the creator of The Mask. I thought he was charging too much for pencil drawings and let him know it. We shouted at each other for awhile. Then I bought a drawing anyway (but he did lower the price!). Very cool drawing, but what a D*ck!!!!!

Chris

In Canadian newspapers, they are syndicating reprints of Peanuts that shows Charlie Brown selling his stash of comics to come up w/ the cash to buy his potential girlfriend a pair of winter gloves. Nice to see a comicstand in the funnies section.

Usually Midtown Comics in NYC is a great shop, they have plenty of stock and friendly people. I was there maybe two months ago now, and they had a 1960s X-Men #1 for $1,200. Here's the catch: it was for $1,200 in G. Now, I don't follow that book, but that seems pretty high for a G. Sad thing is, somebody bought it. I was in there a few days ago and I asked about it and they said that it sold for $1,200.

I would figure that many comic book stores with those "wall" issues charge quite a bit more than they are really worth. Hoping for the sucker to come in and and in a fit of nostalgia part with his money.

I went to my first con in about 8 years this past fall - the NYC Big Apple Con. I really enjoyed it. The coolest thing about the show though was the assortment of ridiculous golden age books. Metropolis brought literally 5 different copies of Batman 1, a Detective 27, Jim Parrino had an Action 1, there were about 6 AF 15s, probably 8 ASM 1s, a slew of X-Men 1s. . .it was pretty cool. To see such books in person was awe inspiring.

I went to a comic shop where their back issues were priced..but when you went up to the counter to buy them the price was 1 more dollar then that on the tag..so I asked what's up? The guy says they surcharge 1 dollar per bag and board..so I said fine, take them out of the bag and boards, I'll just hold them. lol.. The worst part was these were newer ASM books that were like 2.50-5.00 dollars. tongue.gif

Brian

I still get a good chuckle thinking about this one: back in the late 80s I sold at a local con. My friend and I stuck Playboy centerfold pictures in some of the comics we were selling. I think we sold a few of the comics with the "special inserts", but I'm pretty sure I still have a few more kicking around somewhere. So if you ever buy a comic from me or if you're a CGC grader, be on the look out for the variants with the special inserts! laugh.gif

HI All: Funny or Interesting: My first trip to the San Diego Con this year was combined with a golfing vacation. After playing Torrey Pines my wife and I drove into SD to check out the Con. After purchasing our tickets and throwing out the junk that they weighted you down with we went searching for the Dealer section. After perusing the ailes I found a book that I have owned a few times and is on my want list, Green Lantern 1 9.2 at the Metropolis booth. I asked Vincent to see the book, asked the price 8K and made the comment, "Wow, times have changed", as I had purchased the W PA copy in 1990 for $350 which I didn't say to him but was the reason for my comment, he looked at me like I had 2 heads both on backwards took the book back and put it in the showcase. Before his arrogant reaction I was seriously considering purchasing the comic as I had more than enough cash on me to complete the transaction. Has a dealers reaction to you ever turned you off to buying something that you wanted for your collection?

Best, Tom

Nothing that bad. But I do hate when dealers say stuff like, "That's a really nice copy on a SA/Bronze book with lots of spine stress." But that only happened a few times when I was younger. I think some of them have a "holier-than-thou" approach when dealing witht the younger collectors.

When I first started collecting back issues (1987?), there was a shop that was pretty close by. They had a really large selection of back issues (SA-present) in all grades. For 5 years I bought a ton of stuff from them including FF#21, 57, 72, 77, 76, ASM #136, 301, 135, 161, Wolverine Mini-Series...you get the picture. But they always treated me like a "dumb kid", kind of like how the Comic-Book Guy on the Simpsons treats BArt and Milhouse. Anybody else experience similar situations?

Chris

Has a dealers reaction to you ever turned you off to buying something that you wanted for your collection?

Yup, also at the SD con. I had just won a lawsuit and had a lot of cash (a huge portion of my collection was acquired at that con). I was buzzing through the dealer's booths buying up all the Golden Age Wonder Woman and Sensation Comics that I could find.

I got to one booth and asked to see a WW 14, I believe. He smiled and said in a very condescending tone, "Oh, you don't want that. Next time your boyfriend should stay with you, instead of wandering off. Here, I have a better book right here."

He pulled out an early 80's WW in the 300's with a price tag of around $5 on it.

I explained that I already had everything from the 50's up and was really interested in the golden age book I'd already pointed out. He looked taken aback, check out my badge, saw that it was a pro badge, and quickly pulled out the book. He started grilling me on the character, I answered all his questions and he just stared, saying, "You know your stuff." He didn't add, "Even though you're a girl" (and yes, 'girl' would've been his choice of words despite the fact that I was obviously a grown woman).

I answered, "Yes, and I know enough to tell you you've overgraded this issue rather outrageously, so no thank you at that price." He tried to bargain, but he was still way over an acceptable price and I took off. Even if it had been a bargain, I wasn't going to buy it. I don't like being treated as though I'm only capable of thought if there is a male next to me.

-- Joanna

S'okay, Chris, I actually got used to that attitude, as some guys really didn't understand a woman who was into comics like I was. I voted with my wallet as to who I was willing to deal with, and those who treated me well made some nice bucks off of me.

Besides, I was a little scary when I was in "Joanna has money and she's looking for comics" mode. Very focused.

-- Joanna