• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book Collector Stereotypes

83 posts in this topic

:blahblah:... solipsistic ...:blahblah:

Was I the only one who had to refer to a dictionary for this? (:

I just figured it was some hoity-toity Brit word so I didn't bother. Looked it up now lol

Reminds me of a time in High School when I ate some special brownies and thought this way

Andy the scholar. If his pants don't make you roll your eyes, his vocabulary will.

:kidaround:

I knew that word would be an issue. :eek:

But if you read the definition, everything falls into place

Sadly, the stereotype of comic collectors having bad hygiene/smelling bad is something that gets reinforced almost every time I go to a shop during a big sale or at cons.

Okay, I took my wife to her first SDCC and when in line to get a sig from Romita Jr this guy kept turning around to talk to his friends....

His breath was sooooo bad, my wife almost barfed and left me alone to deal with it :(

I can't disagree. Everytime my LCS has a sale and it's crowded, there is always the obese guy with a backpack that smells like old towels that were forgotten in the washing machine for a few days.

This probably applies to a multitude of retail situations, but we are on a comic board, so.

lol

Emotionally immature fanboys who can't handle a debate about anything without making it personal. (thumbs u

Emotionally immature fanboys who can't handle change without erupting into riots. (thumbs u

Emotionally immature fanboys who think anyone disagreeing with their dearly cherished notions....regardless of their validity...is a personal attack. (thumbs u

Emotionally immature fanboys. (thumbs u

Irony.jpg

Most of my friends usually ask me:

Do guys in comic shops stare at you awkwardly?

Infact, yes they do.

That's weird - they just ignore me hm

Really...? A hot buttered piece of scone like you...?

Not-Tonight-Josephine.jpg

Emotionally immature fanboys who can't handle a debate about anything without making it personal. (thumbs u

Emotionally immature fanboys who can't handle change without erupting into riots. (thumbs u

Emotionally immature fanboys who think anyone disagreeing with their dearly cherished notions....regardless of their validity...is a personal attack. (thumbs u

Emotionally immature fanboys. (thumbs u

Irony.jpg

I wanted to say something but I figured it wouldn't take long

The average Joe comic collector I came across in Atl recently smelled like underarm. :sick:

Those average Joe's really stink don't they?

They do indeed. Many are mouthy little cusses as well.

It's the low IQ - makes them hate the world.

The average Joe comic collector I came across in Atl recently smelled like underarm. :sick:

Those average Joe's really stink don't they?

They do indeed. Many are mouthy little cusses as well.

It's the low IQ - makes them hate the world.

The everyday, average Joe-Sixpack aint like that at all ...

Fat, indolent, grotesque, nerdy, lazy, housebound, geeky, apolitical, less, clueless, arrested, smelly, socially inept, obsessive, solipsistic, irrationally nostalgic, cosplaying, ill-fitting tee-shirt wearing, unshaven, breadstick-armed, black-hearted dwarfs.

I'm not a dwarf :sumo:

I once tried to hit on a hot chick using references to my slabs ...

Believe me it didnt work :(

Living in Los Angeles and working in the entertainment industry, it's not unusual to run into people who read comics on at least a casual level and know there is more to comics than superhero books. Beyond being overwhelmingly male, they don't fit into any stereotype.

The assumption that reading comics means you're a superhero fan is prevalent among non-readers though, probably reinforced by the recent success of superhero movies. In the past there has been somewhat of an assumption that I'm likley to be interested in superhero movies if I read comics, which is not actually the case. I see them if I hear they're reasonably good, as with most movies.

I think I should stay away from this topic doh!
Ummmm.... Me too.

salemninja.jpg

"My ninja crew"

BigKnife.jpg

"A close shave"

DSC095811.jpg

"Gimmie some sugar, baby"

DSC00026.jpg

"No. I am cgcmod6, not Spartacus"

You aren't a stereotypical comic collector unless you make frequent trips to the ER while showing off how cool you are to your friends or family.

Comic Book Collector Stereotypes:

1) They tend to think that they can grade better than anyone else...

2) They tend to think that they can use any double standard and no one else will remember it; especially when they SELL a comic at GPA prices, and make offers TO BUY well below OSPG and deny that they even mentioned/used GPA...

3) The ones who post on Forums tend to think that they can stir the pot, troll, and then proudly proclaim that such behavior should not be tolerated when OTHERS do the same, not the poster of origin...

4) They tend to alienate the Big Shot Dealers( BSD), and no matter the Issue at hand, the BSD is wrong/guilty/shilling, or some other unproven deed.

5) They tend to form cliques, and it is so obvious that the 'birds of feather stick together' holds truer here than in most other Forums... not necessarily a bad/negative thing, but so obvious that any Sociologist could write a research report and get additional funding...

maybe more later if I can find the time

Busy CAL :busy: