• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Avoid Craig Hamilton -- or move forward at your peril

76 posts in this topic

It's tough without a bigger scan, but I think I may see an "ORR" in the cape lining in between the beams of light (down and right) coming from Strange's left hand. Possibly a "sorry". (shrug)

Whattaya Mean "Bigger Scan Needed"?? I can see it just fine.

big-glasses.jpg

It says "Congratulations Michael!! You may have already won $10 million in Publisher's Clearinghouse Sweepstakes!!!"

rcol2_1_gif1.gifrcol2_1_gif1.gifrcol2_1_gif1.gifrcol2_1_gif1.gifrcol2_1_gif1.gif

Onto the artwork, Craig did a really nice job and expressed to me that he felt badly about the extreme tardiness. He also told me that he wanted to put a positive message into the drawing that was not "patience is a virue" and so for those who are inclined, please check out Dr. Strange's cape where you will find the message.

I like "Patience is a Virue". :grin:

Anything else is a huge disappointment . . . :(

I commissioned a piece from the artist Craig "Archimedes" Hamilton from Macon, Georgia.

Over the next several months, his computer broke, so he couldn't paint. (?) He also had dozens of migraines and cat emergencies that prevented him from painting or responding to any of my messages. At one point, he showed me the sketch of my painting he was working on, then SOLD THE SKETCH TO SOMEONE ELSE on Facebook- which of course I could see. He eventually went completely incommunicado and of course, did not respond to my refund request. Thankfully, I paid him via PayPal with my credit card, so I'm disputing the charge and will most likely get my money back. Credit cards are great for situations like this- the banks generally side with the customer over the merchant and you're somewhat protected. (I work in Merchant Services.) Had I paid by check, cash or debit, I would be SOL.

I'm sorry this happened to all of you, but I'm glad I found this forum to confirm he's a thief, so I don't feel guilty about disputing the charge.

How long ago did you commission him?

I am 9 years+ out, personally.

his sounds recent. That prompted me to check, even though I want to forget about it. Mine was in 2007 so I guess I am 9 years too!

Malvin

How long ago did you commission him?

I am 9 years+ out, personally.

his sounds recent. That prompted me to check, even though I want to forget about it. Mine was in 2007 so I guess I am 9 years too!

Malvin

June 2006 for me.....just checked. Effin' depressing.

Oh geez, not that long, I'm sorry.

But it's well after deadline (and postponed deadline, and postponed deadline), and I get the impression he has no intention of ever delivering. Especially since he sold my half-finished work and no longer responds to me.

If you coordinated the commission (by this artist or any artist for that matter whom you have issues with) at a convention, you should contact the convention organizer, and they might be able to step in, or at the best of the worst, the organizer may contact the artist and potentially think twice before booking him (or her) as a guest in the future. It could even boil down to a Better Business Bureau case with the show, since it was contracted under their roof, so an organizer would be quick to respond and not sweep the issue under the rug.

Then if you see that artist's name on any future convention guest lists you can contact those organizers about your issue to give them "head's up" as a consumer advocate of sort and fair warning.

If you're lucky enough to find that artist at a convention in person, attempt to get a refund, as the whole chase and waiting game is often a foolishly fruitless venture. Know that proverbial "the check is in the mail" status update where they talk about having it laid out, etc. is usually just a lame attempt at false promise and buying time.

If they seem hesitant to provide a refund, see if you can get merchandise in exchange such as published work (not lame prints).

In a worst case scenario, put up a public stink :) and shame them into working to fulfill their obligation to make you go away as that squeaky wheel. The power of social media that impacts their reputation and livelihood is very strong.

Keep it to just the facts, remove any emotion from what you commit to writing, avoiding liable (written) as well as slander (spoken) defamation.

Craig owes me a commission from 2007 and one from 2008. I know, I know...

Not that this has anything to do with it but for the work that Craig puts into the commissions (the completed ones, that is), there's an incredible amount of work. So much that I think he should charge more. But then if he doesn't deliver on them, that just means the commissioner would be out even more $$$.

Years ago I heard from other collectors/friends about his "unprofessional practices" and stayed away. Sorry to hear you are going through this.

PLUS...he's been listed in Comic Art Community three times in the 'DIC' (Deadbeats In Commissions) listing...

http://comicartcommunity.com/2014/04/deadbeats-in-commissions/

-Hart