• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should slabs be sealed?

14 posts in this topic

Some say that GA comics are better preserved if they are not exposed to the oxygene in the air. Consequently they should be sealed in some way. (For instance the cgc plasticbag sealed with tape?)

Other voices claim that these books must be allowed to breathe - other wise they will deteriorate?

Well both cant be right ...?

Some say that GA comics are better preserved if they are not exposed to the oxygene in the air. Consequently they should be sealed in some way. (For instance the cgc plasticbag sealed with tape?)

Other voices claim that these books must be allowed to breathe - other wise they will deteriorate?

Well both cant be right ...?

Actually, they can. The best storage method is a lower oxygen environment but not 0 oxygen as it's presence keeps some aging processes in check. Just ask Chuck Rozanski.

Numerous studies by well respected scientists who are also comic book collectors have proven with 99.9% probability that CGC slabs are in and of themselves not enough protection for your high grade books. They recommend a combination of protective techniques in their white paper on the subject entitled, "Systematic Prevention of Off Gassing and Subsequent Deterioration of Fibrous Elements within Acidic Paper Products (i.e. - pulp paper)."

The bottom line of this study is a recommendation to protect these books in material with similar properties to Mylar (but not Mylar due to minute impurities introduced during its manufacturing process) that can be sealed and filled with an inert substance (nitrogen) at a continuous positive pressure. The material recommended for use at this time is unobtainium; although several other materials are under review.

Anyone wishing the link to this study can PM me.

Numerous studies by well respected scientists who are also comic book collectors have proven with 99.9% probability that CGC slabs are in and of themselves not enough protection for your high grade books. They recommend a combination of protective techniques in their white paper on the subject entitled, "Systematic Prevention of Off Gassing and Subsequent Deterioration of Fibrous Elements within Acidic Paper Products (i.e. - pulp paper)."

The bottom line of this study is a recommendation to protect these books in material with similar properties to Mylar (but not Mylar due to minute impurities introduced during its manufacturing process) that can be sealed and filled with an inert substance (nitrogen) at a continuous positive pressure. The material recommended for use at this time is unobtainium; although several other materials are under review.

The only known deposit of unobtainium was in a cementery outside Central City. It's believed that the vein was tapped out in the early 70s by a man named Edgar.

The only known deposit of unobtainium was in a cementery outside Central City. It's believed that the vein was tapped out in the early 70s by a man named Edgar.

I thought Edgar had the claim to the vein but was claim jumped by a man named Chuck!

I thought Edgar had the claim to the vein but was claim jumped by a man named Chuck!

Apparently, they've found a huge deposit on another planet but there are some indigenous humanoids living on top of it that don't want to move. They're super primitive and don't even know what to do with it.

As the story goes, not knowing what they had, Edgar's heirs transferred title of the unobtainium preserved books to a local known as "Chuck". Unfortunately, Edgar never disclosed to his heirs the actual location of the unobtainium vein. So, "Chuck" never did find the vein itself.

Sadly, the secret of the unobtainium vein died with Edgar.