• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

affect of replacing staples on a comic's grade
1 1

44 posts in this topic

I was reading through some of the "storing in fireproof safe" threads and was curious about something. When reading through Overstreet's recent guide, it mentions that staples can be replaced, but if the book is gold/silver age, the replacement staples must be from the same age as well.

In those threads, couldn't the rusty staples be replaced? would that be considered restoration and impact the value of the comic? obviously, if rust affected the paper as well, that would be a big problem.

:gossip: Replaced staples get's a PLOD from CGC as well.
Incorrect. For books in the grade range of 6.0 and lower it will still get a blue label provided the staples are vintage and that is the only thing done. In grades higher than 6.0 it will receive a qualified grade.

Ha, thanks guys,

I was confused by PLOD, but did eventually figure that out.

and yes, I have read through CGC's website to see the other labels.

so all of the comics I previously had signed on the cover (for example, my Sandman #1 & #8 with Neil Gaiman signature and scribbles in metallic ink) would get a green label. What is the general view/pricing of that?

Incorrect. For books in the grade range of 6.0 and lower it will still get a blue label provided the staples are vintage and that is the only thing done. In grades higher than 6.0 it will receive a qualified grade.
I had a MS 5 9.0 with a purble label (shrug)

hm with no other work done? Was it an old label? Replaced staples got plods before the green label existed.

There is also GLOQ or the Green Label of Qualified

YLOS or the Yellow Label of Signatures

RLOU or Red Label of Upgrades :)~"Modern" from a while back :gossip:

....also " QLOD"....ponounced "clod"......and I consider it my lucky day if I see a high grade one for sale with only vintage staples replaced. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

hm with no other work done? Was it an old label? Replaced staples got plods before the green label existed.
No other work, but it was an old label (thumbs u

My favorate color...purble :cloud9:

Hi Frank :hi:

Happy Holidays....

They still get PLODs, I have a 1.0, I was told that the only way to avoid a PLOD is to take the staples out.

Maybe it had other work done on it? Or maybe that was an older submission as CGC changes how they treat certain things over time. I have seen replaced staples in both blue and green and can't make heads or tales of it. I think most people would consider it restoration and therfore value it less than if it had the original staples but not by much. Replaced staples is still better than say a married cover which gets a green label as well as long as thats all that was done to it. I myself would never recommend replacing the staples unless the book was getting restoration/conservation anyways but I think it was a more popular thing to do back in the 60's as was tape, extra staples and leaving the staples out all together to avoid rust and wear on the staple areas.

They still get PLODs, I have a 1.0, I was told that the only way to avoid a PLOD is to take the staples out.

Im not sure you're being informed correctly. Either you are talking to the wrong person, the staples are not vintage, or there is another issue. I did however make a mistake as to the grade cut off. I believe its 5.5 and down can get blue and 6.0 and up get green.

G3-2.jpg

I wonder how lucrative it would be to crack that six, add a crease and go for 5.5 blue label. They should always get green or purple. :preach: