• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

affect of replacing staples on a comic's grade
1 1

44 posts in this topic

I spoke to one of the graders after my book got a PLOD, the staples were vintage. I was told I could not get a blue unless I removed the staples, because they had been replaced.
hm Do you have a scan handy?

I spoke to one of the graders after my book got a PLOD, the staples were vintage. I was told I could not get a blue unless I removed the staples, because they had been replaced.

Wait - you have to remove the staples to get a Blue? Just remove them? I would think that would get at least a GLOD. :insane::hi::grin:

Wow.Really?Quite a few of my war ere comics have only one staple.

Exactly! They needed to conserve metal thus the single staple war era comic! Grab that microscope and check for laser etched dates! :blush:

(BTW - nice segue!)

Edited by Povertyrow

No seriously, how can you tell what is a vintage staple versus a "modern" staple? Metal composition? Manufacturing marks? The way the ends are cut? Coatings?

(which sort of begs the even sillier question, are there Bronze or Copper staples?)

Most people achieve vintage staple replacement by removing a set from a rag copy of the same book....or to have a reputable resto person to do so. Most commonly available staples today are flat instead of round....a magnifying glass will usually tell the tale. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:sorry: Perhaps the graders cant give advice towards things that be construed as manipulation? Have you had it checked out by a pro restorer?

:sorry: Perhaps the graders cant give advice towards things that be construed as manipulation? Have you had it checked out by a pro restorer?

Yes, a professional restorer was the one who replaced the staples, I sent you a PM.

Wait - you have to remove the staples to get a Blue? Just remove them? I would think that would get at least a GLOD. :insane::hi::grin:

Hi Michael...yes, they said I'd have to remove them. I'm not selling the book in the near or distant future, so I'm not going to bother, lol...but that was the very specific advice I got.

Happy Holidays! :hi:

:sorry:it's in my safe deposit box, but why would I make that up, lol?

:sorry:it's in my safe deposit box, but why would I make that up, lol?

I dont think you would. I'm just nosey :blush:

Most people achieve vintage staple replacement by removing a set from a rag copy of the same book....or to have a reputable resto person to do so. Most commonly available staples today are flat instead of round....a magnifying glass will usually tell the tale. GOD BLESS...

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second: can anyone elaborate on how a non rusted staple from a 'rag' copy of the same book can be detected once removed and replaced in another of the same book?

I know the CGC is omnipotent and omniscient but I'm not sure what sort of black magic they can use to detect such a swap. I'm keen to learn. :)

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second: can anyone elaborate on how a non rusted staple from a 'rag' copy of the same book can be detected once removed and replaced in another of the same book?

I know the CGC is omnipotent and omniscient but I'm not sure what sort of black magic they can use to detect such a swap. I'm keen to learn. :)

I suppose if there is some rust migration in the paper around the staples but the staples are clean, they might conclude that the staples were replaced.

Just try doing it yourself, and you will see that there is a multitude of evidence after it's done, that staples have been replaced. It's not rocket science. Staples get replaced all the time, sometimes it's obvious, and other times not. :grin:

11 minutes ago, Mintier said:

lol You really need to think before you speak.

Why would anyone hold staples from the 1960s. Are they gonna say "Geez, man look at how the time has passed, it's now 2021 I think I'm gonna need to replace those staples in a comic book I bought in 1963, glad I bought a box of staples around them times too, and glad I didn't store it in a fireproof safe because we all know what happens to staples in fireproof safes. Oh geez I bought the staples a month later, here's the receipt I kept all these years too"

I get it, people have access to these things but how many average Joe's have access to a carbon dating machine to determine the accuracy of dating how old staples are?