• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hard-to-find Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers

160 posts in this topic

I did not know there was an NYX HC with a slipcase... I'm now going to have to look for that one! Thanks!

I think I am wrong on the slipcase sorry...

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-23-1-3-Full-Run-NYX-HC-Hardcover-Great-Deal-/290513088622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3edf06e

Maybe they can do a updated version omnibus style though ... I'd buy it :D

The Alan Moore Supreme hardcovers published a few years back by Checker Books had really tiny print runs, like, maybe 200 of each, is what a retailer told me. She said they were printed to order. They had the most generic covers I have ever seen ... white leather covers with the gold Supreme logo and the title of the HC on the top front and gold writing on the spine. I bought mine when they came out and it took more than a year for them to finally come out because Checker cancelled them twice because of them having such low orders for the books. It didn't help that their cover price (which isn't listed anywhere on the books) was around $150 for the pair.

I think the retailer premium Lone Wolf and Cub red leather hardcover edition from when Dark Horse started reprinting the series in small-size HCs is pretty rare, too. There's one on eBay right now for $299 and another for $150. I bought mine from a comic shop when it came out for $15. Seemed then like it was kind of expensive, but not so much now.

Thor: Vikings

-------

perhaps because why would anyone bother? the floppies are easy enough to locate for $4-$5 total or so, no?

i just don't get paying far more for a TPB than the underlying originals

Interesting how many oop trades and HB command a premium. Especially surprising are the collected reprints that fetch big bucks. Though it seems anything I purchased new is usually available on amazon for less than cover, but I mostly buy stuff by alternative/underground creators which seem to manage both small print runs and continued availability ( How big could those Fantagraphics print runs be?)

I think people realize how small the print runs are on some of these trade paperbacks and that makes them want them even more. I know I very badly wanted a Master of Kung Fu trade paperback, but couldn't find one at all. I looked and looked and kicked myself for passing on it when it was on the shelf at a Knoxville comic shop and I didn't buy it then. I just knew I was going to pay a seriously high premium when I saw how much www.mycomicshop.com was OFFERING for the trade paperback. However, someone listed one with a misspelled title and I ended up getting it for a buck plus shipping. I put a really high bid on the book and asked the seller to put a Buy It Now price on it that was really high, but he said he'd let the auction go to the end, so I waited, impatiently, and then was pleasantly surprised when it sold to me for a buck. (I also won a Contest of Champions trade paperback for a buck from the same seller, too)

I've got the full run of Thanos: Marvel Universe the End and Thanos Infinity Abyss, but I HAD to have the trade paperbacks. I think I now own four or five or each. (The toughest of the Thanos trade paperbacks is by far "Samaritan", which reprints the NON-Starlin final six issues of the series. I have only one copy of that TPB)

Another very rare trade paperback is the Captain America The Truth: Red, White and Black trade paperback -- not the hardcover, which recently was released. I know this is super rare, with a tiny, tiny print run. I once read somewhere (I can't remember where) that this trade might have had a print run of less than 800. I see them for sale on here for around $30 each.

I think comic collectors LOVE rarity and the thought that there's a volume out there that they might not have or have a hard time acquiring, it causes them to want that for their collection. I love them because I can read the entire story arc in one sitting if I so choose.

(Right now, I'm finishing the original Hitman trade paperbacks; I'm in the middle of Who Dares Wins ... I sure wish DC would catch up with those re-reprints)

I've said it for years: Trade paperbacks are very collectible and the high prices some bring is proof.

I think people realize how small the print runs are on some of these trade paperbacks and that makes them want them even more. I know I very badly wanted a Master of Kung Fu trade paperback, but couldn't find one at all. I looked and looked and kicked myself for passing on it when it was on the shelf at a Knoxville comic shop and I didn't buy it then. I just knew I was going to pay a seriously high premium when I saw how much www.mycomicshop.com was OFFERING for the trade paperback. However, someone listed one with a misspelled title and I ended up getting it for a buck plus shipping. I put a really high bid on the book and asked the seller to put a Buy It Now price on it that was really high, but he said he'd let the auction go to the end, so I waited, impatiently, and then was pleasantly surprised when it sold to me for a buck. (I also won a Contest of Champions trade paperback for a buck from the same seller, too)

I've got the full run of Thanos: Marvel Universe the End and Thanos Infinity Abyss, but I HAD to have the trade paperbacks. I think I now own four or five or each. (The toughest of the Thanos trade paperbacks is by far "Samaritan", which reprints the NON-Starlin final six issues of the series. I have only one copy of that TPB)

Another very rare trade paperback is the Captain America The Truth: Red, White and Black trade paperback -- not the hardcover, which recently was released. I know this is super rare, with a tiny, tiny print run. I once read somewhere (I can't remember where) that this trade might have had a print run of less than 800. I see them for sale on here for around $30 each.

I think comic collectors LOVE rarity and the thought that there's a volume out there that they might not have or have a hard time acquiring, it causes them to want that for their collection. I love them because I can read the entire story arc in one sitting if I so choose.

(Right now, I'm finishing the original Hitman trade paperbacks; I'm in the middle of Who Dares Wins ... I sure wish DC would catch up with those re-reprints)

I've said it for years: Trade paperbacks are very collectible and the high prices some bring is proof.

This is a perfect example of different stokes for different folks. I've always thought of TPB as reprints so I only buy them when they are cheap or I want a reading copy of something. I don't think of them as collectibles.

But why not??? You've certainly shown that there are people hunting down the rare ones, just like comic collectors. Plus, we all know TPB have become more popular. To the point where most stories are written in the 6 part manner so they can be collected into a trade.

It's not that big of a stretch to see a person who has decided to collect TPB to want 1st prints and to pay high $ for OOP copies. (thumbs u

I have recently begun searching out HTF HC's and such. I'll buy one HC to read and another to keep just in case. I have been out of monthlies for awhile and am enjoying the new collecting route for now. Not to mention most retailers don't pay as much attention yet to HC's and trades and one can scoop up already HTF books at cover.

It doesn't hurt that most comic shops don't pay attention to eBay and how tough some trade paperbacks are to find. I found a trade paperback tonight at a comic shop that is selling for around $40-$50 online and I got it for $13 (cover price).

Some of the hardcovers that are reaching really high prices are the Marvel Masterworks that have short print runs, like some of the second and third printings and the variants. Most of the variants have print runs under 2,000. I have one of the X-Men later printings and it says on the back that there was only 200 copies printed. That would make it rare as hen's teeth.

I've been trying to get a Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 2 but they routinely list for over 200$... (a reader lot would probably cost less...)

I remember when Alias TPB Vol 4 was OOP and was selling for insane prices then it got reprinted and the prices tanked, it's risky game

Take notice also of the Marvel Premiere Classics HC line with the banner style cover. They have the print runs listed on the back and some are below 1,000 copies, just sayin. I currently think the #9 Demon in a bottle with the yellow banner cover with only 1400 copies or so printed is a good one. There are none on eBay with that cover, just the all black cover is listed many times..and only one on Amazon listed with the limited cover.

Number 3 re-reprint is due next year, but the original TPB line never finished, AFAIK. I'd love to be wrong. Loved that series, very underrated.

Number 3 re-reprint is due next year, but the original TPB line never finished, AFAIK. I'd love to be wrong. Loved that series, very underrated.

Tommy vomiting on Batman was one of the few comic book sequences that have ever made me laugh out loud. :grin:

What about the GI JOE Vol.1 TPB by IMAGE?

I too don't really understand the prices on rare TPBs/HCs as they are nothing more than reprints, but then again I'm not that type of collector. The capitalist in me is more interested in this than the fan part of me, so thanks for the info! :applause:

And yes the MIRACLEMAN TPB is a pricey one. I learned that the moment I sold it for full cover (only?!?!?) at a show years ago thinking I did well. The buyer thought I was kidding and then snatched it up when he realized I wasn't kidding. That's when I learned that some TPBs are worth much more than cover and that some people are willing to pay more, a lot more, for them....

You win some, you lose some. doh!

This is a perfect example of different stokes for different folks. I've always thought of TPB as reprints so I only buy them when they are cheap or I want a reading copy of something. I don't think of them as collectibles.

The real question is, what will people think of them 20 years from now? If they aren't really being collected and saved in high grades, how many of the lower print ones will survive in HG down the road. Add some demand and BAM! it's the next collecting craze.

The real question is, what will people think of them 20 years from now? If they aren't really being collected and saved in high grades, how many of the lower print ones will survive in HG down the road. Add some demand and BAM! it's the next collecting craze.

+1

It almost has to happen. The way the publishers are going now, there is no way they will be able to keep their whole backlists in print.