• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another perspective

14 posts in this topic

I have read all the posts about the great crash, the speculator/investor boom, the divide among the collecting community,etc. I thought I might share my perspective on why I am a relative newcomer to the comic hobby. I started collecting about 2 yrs ago when I had done all I could with my previous hobby and instead of watching the vultures pick apart the carcass of what I called my ten year obsession, I did the unthinkable, I gave it away. That's right I gave it to a museum who would take care of my "baby" for generations to come. I have always had an interest in comics as I read them voraciously as a child. I was reluctant to come into the hobby because I only collect the "best" of a given genre, and therefore tend to spend a few dollars doing it. This hobby has always had a reputation as being dishonest and self serving in its handling of new people coming into it. (e.g. undisclosed restoration, two tier grading system (one for buying and one for selling). I find it unfathomable that a 50 year old book that structurally would be considered mint would warrant having color touch tear seals . It is a testament that it lasted this long in that condition LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! I am one of those people that applauds CGC and wants it to remain the one and only grading service because that is what is sorely needed in this hobby. Consistency right wrong by an .02 does not matter Having to deal with one opinion as to what I have makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I plunk down my hard earned $ on books. Like it or not I am in the hobby to preserve history on some really great books and I am sure like most in this forum will part with some to get others as I finally decide financially what "Mr. Tripps" runs I can put together. I hope that those wonderful collections stay together as they deserve to be a part of the history of comics. What I am trying to say is because of CGC Me, and hopefully others will join this hobby and have a pleasant experience and stick around for years to come Just for the record I am a collector. Just because I only collect high grade does not mean that I do not appreciate other levels of this hobby. I am a collector at heart and when I see someone who "beams" when they speak of their crown jewels, it still puts a smile on my face. cloud9.gif

Sounds exciting and fun.893applaud-thumb.gif

My advice is enjoy the hobby don't let some people get you down.

TALK to collectors and dealers OFTEN.

Go to conventions, learn who's who and collect what YOU like.

Oh and give us some photos of your great prizes.

Well.... I understand your theory but if this hobby did just have one grading service...CGC, then they are free to take advantage of their customers in any way they want to. High prices, slow or bad customer service and so on. Having competion does nothing but improve upon all of those aspects. If CGC remains to be the best, then they will maintain their monopoly. But I am surely glad that there are up and comers out there that are trying to compete. It certainly benefits us all, even if you do not use the other services you will benefit by CGC's more than likely improved features that I beleive we will see in the future (namely faster turnaround time). If they do not make improvements, they will lose their monopoly. I believe anyone who only wants one and one only grading service is naive. Do we really want a Miscrosoft to grade our comics? Certainly not me. -------Sid

I hear what you are saying...however CGC is a business and therefore in business to make a profit. If people are unhappy with their service then stop sending them your comics and tell them why you stopped. I have met Steve B and he seems to be an astute businessman. He seems genuinely concerned about his customers and wants to make sure everyone is happy.

1.Long Turnaround times: a byproduct of a successful business. Solution: hire more people as long as they are properly trained I would say be patient as any successful business has these problems in the beginning. What would you do when starting your business hire 10 people and then not make payroll when the customers do not break down your doors? I realize that this is a problem with CGC but remember if you are a true collector absence makes the heart grow fonder smile.gif

Great post, and a belated welcome to the boards!

I have read all the posts about the great crash, the speculator/investor boom, the divide among the collecting community,etc. I thought I might share my perspective on why I am a relative newcomer to the comic hobby. I started collecting about 2 yrs ago when I had done all I could with my previous hobby and instead of watching the vultures pick apart the carcass of what I called my ten year obsession, I did the unthinkable, I gave it away. That's right I gave it to a museum who would take care of my "baby" for generations to come. I have always had an interest in comics as I read them voraciously as a child. I was reluctant to come into the hobby because I only collect the "best" of a given genre, and therefore tend to spend a few dollars doing it. This hobby has always had a reputation as being dishonest and self serving in its handling of new people coming into it. (e.g. undisclosed restoration, two tier grading system (one for buying and one for selling). I find it unfathomable that a 50 year old book that structurally would be considered mint would warrant having color touch tear seals . It is a testament that it lasted this long in that condition LEAVE IT ALONE!!!! I am one of those people that applauds CGC and wants it to remain the one and only grading service because that is what is sorely needed in this hobby. Consistency right wrong by an .02 does not matter Having to deal with one opinion as to what I have makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I plunk down my hard earned $ on books. Like it or not I am in the hobby to preserve history on some really great books and I am sure like most in this forum will part with some to get others as I finally decide financially what "Mr. Tripps" runs I can put together. I hope that those wonderful collections stay together as they deserve to be a part of the history of comics. What I am trying to say is because of CGC Me, and hopefully others will join this hobby and have a pleasant experience and stick around for years to come Just for the record I am a collector. Just because I only collect high grade does not mean that I do not appreciate other levels of this hobby. I am a collector at heart and when I see someone who "beams" when they speak of their crown jewels, it still puts a smile on my face. cloud9.gif

I don't know if his collecting goes beyond silver age, but he's been buying up ultra high grade Silver Age keys like there's no tomorrow. 893whatthe.gif

Welcome to the boards, and this hobby! What are you planning on collecting? GA, SA, Bronze?

Timely