• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One More Poster Hits 10K

55 posts in this topic

Shortly after Heroes '07 I was convinced by a friend to join the Boards. 10,000 posts later I have learned a few things perhaps worth mentioning. I apologize in advance for taking a thread space in General or for boring you with my musings.

Here's the rundown.

1) My understanding of comics fandom is of profoundly greater depth than before. Prior to my participation on the Boards, my interaction with fandom primarily consisted of observing the crowd at shows.

2) Being a lifelong Marvel zombie, I never had any interest in or appreciation for DC comics. I loved the Super Friends cartoon from childhood, enjoyed the Reeves Superman TV show, cherished the Fleischer Supes cartoons, got nerdy for the other Reeves Superman movies as well as Keaton's first Batman film, & collected & recommended to friends Miller's Dark Knight Returns & Moore's Watchmen; but that was about it. This forum changed that & that is a very good thing. I salute the Big 5 War Books!

3) I have learned how to make a modest profit buying & selling comics. This economic activity has become one more satisfying facet of my universally satisfying hobby. I am thrilled when I sell any comic, no matter how small the price tag.

The friendships. The Art of Human Relations is the most complex activity in any person's lifetime. There are always setbacks, reverses, & false starts but in the practice of this Art there are never any losses for sufferance of 'losing' presupposes some measure of 'having' at the outset. People & personalities are the most interesting & rewarding aspects of all creation for it is from congress with our neighbor that we realize our own humanity.

I dedicate my 10K post to one friend from the Boards. I choose him not because I know him any better than some or all others, not because we spend more time together in PM or away from the Boards than I do with some or all others, but because of his kindness, because of what I perceive to be his greater effort in being my friend than my contribution to the relationship, & because of his purity of collecting. Also, and more vital than all of that, he is my choice because he understands what Conan of Cimmeria is all about.

Here's to Neil (lookwhoitis). If you don't know him or haven't met him, seek him out & buy him a beer then send the bar tab to Tupenny; it'll be on me.

Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.

Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Shortly after Heroes '07 I was convinced by a friend to join the Boards. 10,000 posts later I have learned a few things perhaps worth mentioning. I apologize in advance for taking a thread space in General or for boring you with my musings.

Here's the rundown.

1) My understanding of comics fandom is of profoundly greater depth than before. Prior to my participation on the Boards, my interaction with fandom primarily consisted of observing the crowd at shows.

2) Being a lifelong Marvel zombie, I never had any interest in or appreciation for DC comics. I loved the Super Friends cartoon from childhood, enjoyed the Reeves Superman TV show, cherished the Fleischer Supes cartoons, got nerdy for the other Reeves Superman movies as well as Keaton's first Batman film, & collected & recommended to friends Miller's Dark Knight Returns & Moore's Watchmen; but that was about it. This forum changed that & that is a very good thing. I salute the Big 5 War Books!

3) I have learned how to make a modest profit buying & selling comics. This economic activity has become one more satisfying facet of my universally satisfying hobby. I am thrilled when I sell any comic, no matter how small the price tag.

The friendships. The Art of Human Relations is the most complex activity in any person's lifetime. There are always setbacks, reverses, & false starts but in the practice of this Art there are never any losses for sufferance of losing presupposes some measure of having at the outset. People & personalities are the most interesting & rewarding aspects of all creation for it is from congress with our neighbor that we realize our own humanity.

I dedicate my 10K post to one friend from the Boards. I choose him not because I know him any better than some or all others, not because we spend more time together in PM or away from the Boards than I do with some or all others, but because of his kindness, because of what I perceive to be his greater effort in being my friend than my contribution to the relationship, & because of his purity of collecting. Also, and more vital than all of that, he is my choice because he understands what Conan of Cimmeria is all about.

Here's to Neil (lookwhoitis). If you don't know him or haven't met him, seek him out & buy him a beer then send the bar tab to Tupenny; it'll be on me.

Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.

Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

A classy 10,000 post.

Here's the rundown.

The friendships. The Art of Human Relations is the most complex activity in any person's lifetime. There are always setbacks, reverses, & false starts but in the practice of this Art there are never any losses for sufferance of losing presupposes some measure of having at the outset. People & personalities are the most interesting & rewarding aspects of all creation for it is from congress with our neighbor that we realize our own humanity.

A classy 10,000 post.

I second that.

Congratulations Bill on your 10000th post. You are truly one of the classiest guys on these boards and this post shows why. (worship)

And as Bill has dedicated this thread to Lookwhoitis, let me just second what a great guy Neil is. At risk of turning this into a bromance thread, I have to say that one of the best times I've ever had was when Neil and I went to Robert E. Howard Days in Cross Plains,TX last year. I lift my tankard to salute Neil, a true barbarian and Two-Gun Bob aficianado! conan.gif

cimmeriandogs.jpg