• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why so much attention to Marvels?

84 posts in this topic

I think alot of people here have little idea what they're talking about when it comes to DC

So here are the top grade sales for the DC books

Flash #105 (9.2) - $29,900.00

B&B #28 (9.4) - $60,375.00

JLA #1 (9.2) - $27,600.00

Green Lantern #1 (9.4) - $18,975.00

Showcase #22 (8.5) - $5,175.00

S G Lois Lane #1 (6.5) - $1,437.50 (7.0) - $1,380.00 893whatthe.gif

B&B #34 (8.5) - $1,552.50

Showcase #17 (6.0) - $690.00  (6.5) - $610.00

Showcase #30 (9.0) - $681.84

Showcase #34 (9.0) - $2,990.00

Mystery into Space #53 (7.5) - $948.75

I think what this list underscores is just how tough it is to find these key DCs in CGC 9.4. I see some people have already added info on 9.4 B&B 34 sales (probably the most "common" major DC key in 9.4, if you can really use "common" to describe 4 copies in the census). I'll also add Showcase 34 in 9.4, sold on pgcmint for $12,000.

The mindblowing prices paid for the first 3 books you list, Flash 105, B&B 28 and JLA 1, were all achieved at the latest Heritage auction. Only time will tell if this was an aberration with a few bidders driving each other into a frenzy or the start of a real trend. But the fact is that Bob Storms sold a 9.2 Flash 105 and 9.2 JLA 1 for "only" $12k or so just a little more than a year ago, and veteran DC highgrade collectors are stunned by these prices.

Only time will tell if this was an aberration with a few bidders driving each other into a frenzy or the start of a real trend.
I think the same could be said for AF 15 with its last crazy 9.4 sale. From a sale of 85K to 125K

true. But Spidey is Spidey and JLA, while just about a household name, is , well, not exactly Spidey.

Also, in the GA, All-Star 3 is the BB28 equivalent and while a great book that sells for a lot in HG, its only arguably in the top 5 comics for its time. Somehow, as much as Id have wanted that BB28 at a decent price (30-35K?) because future bumps in the guide will bring it on par with Showcase 4 in the next few years and at that price Id be safe..... I wouldnt feel so secure into it at 60K as a 9.4 AF15 at 125K (if "secure" is the right word to describe EITHER situatiuon!!)

Only time will tell if this was an aberration with a few bidders driving each other into a frenzy or the start of a real trend.
I think the same could be said for AF 15 with its last crazy 9.4 sale. From a sale of 85K to 125K

I was initially going to reply that the AF 15 sale at $85k was in 2000 or 2001, off Bob Storms' site, so there had been a reasonable passage of years before it increased to $125k. But then I recalled a 9.4 AF 15 going on Heritage more recently, so decided to check and yes, a 9.4 copy went for "only" $86,250 in March 2003--just 1 year ago. So yes, it appears $125k for AF 15 is an aberration, but it seems like we've been seeing a lot of these so-called "aberrations" in Marvel prices recently.

I don't have any data on 8.0-8.5 books, because I primarily focus on NM books, so here's some publicly reported sales on CGC 9.2 or better DCs:

9.4 Showcase 34.........$12,000

9.4 GL 1......................$18,975

9.2 GL 1......................$13,225

9.4 GL 2........................$5060

9.4 JLA 5.......................$4830

9.4 JLA 9.......................$4300

Some more data will be available soon, because Heritage's April Signature Auction features a 9.4 B&B 28, 9.2 JLA 1 and 9.2 Flash 105. Throw in the B&B 28, JLA 1 and Flash 105, and I bet even together with the other books above, that the total still won't add up to the price of the 9.4 AF 15 that sold on Comiclink a few weeks ago.

Okay, now that the Heritage auction has ended, I thought I'd revisit my earlier prediction. Turns out I was wrong, thanks to the record prices paid for the B&B 28, JLA 1 and Flash 105 (with BP, total was $117,875). Combine those books with the prices above, and the total is $176,265, which indeed exceeds the $125k paid for the AF 15.

But, it shows it still takes several DC keys combined together to equal a Marvel key.

and JLA, while just about a household name

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif You are kiding right. JLA a household name? I'd be very surprised if many people outside comic collecting have any idea who they are. confused-smiley-013.gif

Sure they do! But they know them as the Super Friends... smirk.gif

And what exactly is wrong with the superfriends eh????sumo.gif

thats why I said "just about" cause they definitely have made headway into the publics conciousness, but not overly so. I also think people get it when Seinfeld refers to them in jokes to an extent that Avengers jokes wouldnt.

thats why I said "just about" cause they definitely have made headway into the publics conciousness, but not overly so. I also think people get it when Seinfeld refers to them in jokes to an extent that Avengers jokes wouldnt.

True. Im sure the public realizes who batman, superman, wonderwoman, etc are but im not too sure theyll have a clue about hawkeye or thor.

True. Im sure the public realizes who batman, superman, wonderwoman, etc are but im not too sure theyll have a clue about hawkeye or thor.

who???

who???

confused-smiley-013.gif

i read some spider-man back in the 70's,but now find books like Shi, Zorro,Tarzan, some mangas much more realistic and enjoyable.As far as collecting/speculating, marvels prices /demand are too high, which relegate me to collecting Charlton, DC,Gold Key,Skywald, which is much rarer in high grade.

don't think bronze age DC a good investment, i got a 1st issue special 8 CGC 9.6 wpage last year for $51,(1st warlord,Mike Grell,local Houston artist),another recently sold for $137, a whopping 177% increase.

Comics a good investment---have you been reading RJ's how to make a million selling comics foreheadslap.gif

I do it because its fun--anything other than that is purely coincidental. Now leave my bronze book alone....893naughty-thumb.gif

also the fact that alot of the Key issues for the DC collector happened in the Golden Age. tons of SA DCs where NOTHING HAPPENS ! - so the key issue hoarders tend to look at Marvel...easier to find high grade Silver than Golden Age....

easier to find high grade Silver than Golden Age

Thats one of the major issues. Scarcity and frustration plays a huge factor. Thats one of the reasons why when a HG Showcase 4 DOES come up for sale it sometimes goes for around the same (or more) than an AF15 in the same grade. Or that Showcase 8 goes for much more than an X-Men 1 in the higher grades.