• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why so much attention to Marvels?

84 posts in this topic

I see that most of the post that are on here focus on Marvels, mainly Spidey's. Granted Spidey's are great books , but rare by no means. Most DC's tend to be hard to find in nice shape ,because of the flimsy paper and the light color's they loved. I tend to gravitate any DC's that are in reasonably good shape, because they are harder to find in nice shape. Any comments on this?

Dmac358

First off Welcome to the Boards! thumbsup2.gif

Many collectors enjoy reading comic books they can relate to. As such Spider-man appeals to many people, because he is just any ordinary guy. He has girl problems, work problems, etc.

DC tended to focus on characters who were strangers.

Superman: Alien orphan

Wonder Woman: Amazon princess

Aquaman: Atlantean King

Green Lantern: Alien Protector

...and so on.

Not that these stories weren't interesting. Most collectors grew up reading Marvel comics more than DC comics.

I see that most of the post that are on here focus on Marvels, mainly Spidey's. Granted Spidey's are great books , but rare by no means. Most DC's tend to be hard to find in nice shape ,because of the flimsy paper and the light color's they loved. I tend to gravitate any DC's that are in reasonably good shape, because they are harder to find in nice shape. Any comments on this?

Dmac358

Most folks are readers/collectors/sellers. The silver age Marvels were a hit with readers who don't want to forget there childhood memories. Collectors like the art style and Sellers know that they can usually flip an average Marvel book quicker than DC(except Adams art which is selling like hotcakes).

I agree with what you guys are saying, i grew up reading Marvels myself and i thought they were great. What i am talking about is as an investment, i think DC's are better, because less people collected them. Marvels will always be plentiful, because of their popularity, not the same for DC's. I think it would be much easier, putting together a complete run of Spidey's together, than a run of say of Green Lantern's or Flash in high grade.

Dmac358

Thanks Deathlok

When you crunch the date and compare all the facts then stand back and look at the issue as objectively as possible it all comes down to the one relatively simple conclusion.

DC comics suck. wink.gif

You are correct in saying that it would easier to put together a Marvel run than a DC one. However what would be the motivation of doing so? If you grew up not really caring for DC characters how would that change now as a collector? For example as our resident Valiant expert would attest to HG Valiant runs are difficult to come by, I think that's what he says. I would not ever collect Valiant book, they simply don't appeal to me.

Some people only collect certain titles, outside of that they don't really care. You should be thankful there aren't more DC collectors, otherwise you might get less books.

What i am talking about is as an investment, i think DC's are better, because less people collected them.

Superb logic, Einstein.

Here's another one:

1970's Charlton reprints are the BEST investment (toss those Action 1's and AF 15's boys) since NO ONE collected them. foreheadslap.gif

What i am talking about is as an investment, i think DC's are better, because less people collected them. Marvels will always be plentiful, because of their popularity, not the same for DC's.

If I were you I would hold on to my cash, as you seem to have a lot to learn about the laws of Supply and Demand. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

He's saying less people collected them back when they came out, so they're harder to find NOW.

Nope, he's using the old "better investment since less people collected them", which is totally erroneous. Assuming a vintage comic and some level of attrition, the more people who originally read and collected them (ie. ASM), the better.

Many of the most valuable GA comics were printed in the millions, which gives it a ready-made nostalgia market, and combined with the high attrition rate = $$$.

If this "new guy" invests any significant amount of money using his "fewer collectors = better investment" strategy, then I sincerely hope he's got more where that came from. 27_laughing.gif

When you crunch the date and compare all the facts then stand back and look at the issue as objectively as possible it all comes down to the one relatively simple conclusion.

DC comics suck. wink.gif

tsk, tsk, tsk......... sign-funnypost.gif

Why so much attention to DC and Marvel?

Where are all the collectors of Thunder Agents, NoMan and Dynamo?

Where are the Charlton Captain Atom and Blue Beetle people?

Or what about MF Enterprises Captain Marvel? I fall apart over that guy! 27_laughing.gif

Charlie

Why so much attention to DC and Marvel?

Where are all the collectors of Thunder Agents, NoMan and Dynamo?

Where are the Charlton Captain Atom and Blue Beetle people?

Or what about MF Enterprises Captain Marvel? I fall apart over that guy! 27_laughing.gif

Charlie

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

I actually have a CGC graded Captain Marvel #2 from MF Enterprises... frown.gif

It was the first CGC book I ever purchased so I could check out the CGC service. confused-smiley-013.gif

frown.giffrown.giffrown.gif

I actually have a CGC graded Captain Marvel #2 from MF Enterprises... frown.gif

Don't look so sad.. It's okay.. It's not as if you're going to COME APART over it! smile.gif

Ah, that Captain Marvel from MF E. He had such a unique super-power. stooges.gif