• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

are early Valiants making a comeback?

98 posts in this topic

Just wanted to know if any of those early Shooter Valiants are coming back , and are they worth slabbing?

Dmac358

That would certainly put a BIG grin.gif smile on my face confused-smiley-013.gif

Welcome to The Boards!!

there's been some buzz about pre-unity valiants and there are definitely ones worth picking up (where's valiantman for all his data?) not only for the stories (cause they were pretty good) but also as investments if you can pick them up from people selling for $2 in NM or better to sell raw for in many cases $15.

If you have pre unitys 9.6 or better.... slab em.

Just wanted to know if any of those early Shooter Valiants are coming back , and are they worth slabbing?

Actually, the pre-Unity Valiants have been selling solidly for about two years now. Are they worth slabbing? Take a look at what the latest slabbed copy of X-O Manowar #0 Gold sold for.

X-O #0 Gold

I guess a case can be made for the rarer gold issues, but over two years ago, I picked up a lot of the gold stuff for just dollars, not because I thought they would be a good investment, but just because I thought they'd be cool to have since they were now available and affordable. That being said, I did sell my X-O #1/2 Gold since it was commanding crazy dollars. thumbsup2.gif

There is "solid money" in 9.6 and 9.8 CGC graded pre-Unity Valiants.

I don't predict the "crazy money" to keep pouring in, though.

A few of these books seeing $200+ prices on Ebay are actually

the first copy to receive 9.8s... I doubt those prices will be the same

when there are 10 or 20 copies in 9.8 on the census.

If you're looking for "crazy money", Valiant is definitely not a long-term winner.

But pre-Unity Valiant books in CGC 9.8 will ALWAYS be worth more

than the raw book and the cost of slabbing.

Most 9.6's are "worth" the effort, too.

In general, Valiant is a universe of about 800 comics...

50 of them are pre-Unity (Jim Shooter books)...

another 25 to 50 of them are some type of variant (10,000 copies or less).

A few of the absolute final issues sell for $5 to $10 because the

print runs had dropped so drastically by 1996...

...and the rest of them will probably be $1 bargain books for a long, long time.

When people talk about "Valiant"... odds are they've got the 650 to 700 books

that DON'T sell for more than $0.25 to $1 each. They're not "slab-worthy".

You can look for the books that are "slab-worthy" by checking the

ValiantComics.com Price Guide

for books that average $10 or more on Ebay (ungraded)...

Those books will probably bring at least $30 or $40 as CGC 9.6's...

and "who knows" what might happen with CGC 9.8s and higher.

I try to be quick to point out... it's just certain Valiants... not all. grin.gif

Valiants are for reading, not slabbing!!!! 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

Dmac358

Can I just ask you, is there anything about comic books that interests you other than possible 'investment' opportunities?

DIE SLABBER SCUM!!!!

27_laughing.gif (Kidding? ok maybe not)

Can I just ask you, is there anything about comic books that interests you other than possible 'investment' opportunities?

You want to talk about crazy numbers. Take a look at this:

X-O #2 - CGC 9.8

Yep, that's a crazy one.

3 copies graded at CGC 9.8 so far...

I'd bet that by the time there are 5 or 10, the price will be around $60 to $75.

But since I haven't won anything at "my estimates" for a long time... I may be wrong.

I'd bet that by the time there are 5 or 10, the price will be around $60 to $75.

I sure hope you're right as I'd really like to complete a 9.8 pre-Unity set of X-O's. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Dmac358

$1200 is what I got for my 5 CGC books that ended tonight.....

$345 HARBINGER PINK #0 CGC 9.8

$201 HARBINGER #41 CGC 9.8

$305 X-O #2 CGC 9.8

$263 SOLAR #1 CGC 9.8

$78 RAI #1 CGC 9.6

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

Dmac358

$1200 is what I got for my 5 CGC books that ended tonight.....

$345 HARBINGER PINK #0 CGC 9.8

$201 HARBINGER #41 CGC 9.8

$305 X-O #2 CGC 9.8

$263 SOLAR #1 CGC 9.8

$78 RAI #1 CGC 9.6

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif I hope it keeps going thumbsup2.gif, waiting for mine to come back from CGC confused.gif

You want to talk about crazy numbers. Take a look at this:

X-O #2 - CGC 9.8

Yep, that's a crazy one.

3 copies graded at CGC 9.8 so far...

But since I haven't won anything at "my estimates" for a long time... I may be wrong.

OT: Hey Valiantman, the info that you supply in your website has really helped me as a buyer and seller ever since I came on these boards.

As a token of gratitude from my end I would like to send you a gift (dont know if I should PM you.)

I assume you favor Valiant comics and art 893crossfingers-thumb.gif calling yourself Valiantman, so if you send me your shipping info I would like to send you a gift, my way of saying thanks for sharing your info. thumbsup2.gif

Nik

OT: Hey Valiantman, the info that you supply in your website has really helped me as a buyer and seller ever since I came on these boards.

As a token of gratitude from my end I would like to send you a gift (dont know if I should PM you.)

I assume you favor Valiant comics and art 893crossfingers-thumb.gif calling yourself Valiantman, so if you send me your shipping info I would like to send you a gift, my way of saying thanks for sharing your info. thumbsup2.gif

Nik

PM sent... thanks! cloud9.gif

Free stuff, huh? Wow, that's a price even Joe Collector can't argue with.

As long as your gift isn't ticking, I'll gladly accept it! stooges.gif

(Ok, time for Joe Collector to say, "You couldn't PAY ME enough to take Valiant!")

27_laughing.gif

Well is IS Valiant, and since there is a chance that customs would charge me for the package, I'd have to say:

You could pay me enough to take Valiants!!

Well is IS Valiant, and since there is a chance that customs would charge me for the package, I'd have to say:

You could pay me enough to take Valiants!!

Personally J.C. some of my favorite comics are from the BA era ( love those 20c covers), still though, I like Comics in general, all of them. Why do you put down most comics that dont come from the Bronze Age? confused-smiley-013.gif

Personally J.C. some of my favorite comics are from the BA era ( love those 20c covers), still though, I like Comics in general, all of them. Why do you put down most comics that dont come from the Bronze Age? confused-smiley-013.gif

This is just a running gag between myself and Valiantman. Nothing personal in the least.

If you want to laugh at my Modern tastes, I collect (hoard):

Hulk 367-390 or so (Keown issues)

New Mutants 87-100

ASM 238-328

Jim Lee UXM

Among a few others....