• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGG Universal = CGC Restored

377 posts in this topic

This makes for pretty grim reading - I regard trimming as a fairly severe defect ( however I notice that CGC called it a slight A).

Nevertheless, not spotting that the bottom and the top edge of the comic being trimmed is inept. If anyone else cares to submit more high grade CGG books to CGC with similar results, then CGG are mud.

I wonder, do CGC have sample copies of various 60s/70s books to use for comparison re trimming?

If they don't handle it correctly, that would put them out of business anyway. Nothing like bad publicity to sink a fledgeling company that is trying to establish themselves in a market dominated by the big boys.

If they don't handle it correctly, that would put them out of business anyway. Nothing like bad publicity to sink a fledgeling company that is trying to establish themselves in a market dominated by the big boys.

I guess either way they are DOOMED. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You said it. This is pretty damning evidence, and has certainly altered my opinion of CGG, at least for the moment (I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt up until now). A few more instances of this from Forumites, and it's g'bye CGG.

Did he buy it from tdcomix? If so I'd be curious to see the outcome. Although he can't be restoring EVERY book he sells ala Hammer. Can he?
Yeah...he bought it from them. Plus, comicmankev had a shortly lived thread awhile ago about sending 2 IF 14 to CGC and both of them came back restored with trimming. He said that the packs were bought from different sources. While I was looking at td's feedback during the Spidey 121 and 129 situations, I recalled that comicmankev left them a positive. I checked it and guess what it was for! A sealed pack with the IF 14 in it. Here's the link to the FB left by comicmankev but the auction is too old. Link Unfortunately Kev forgot who he bought the books from so it's hard to prove now! foreheadslap.gif

You said it. This is pretty damning evidence, and has certainly altered my opinion of CGG, at least for the moment (I was still giving them the benefit of the doubt up until now). A few more instances of this from Forumites, and it's g'bye CGG.

Yeah I was giving them the benefit of the doubt too but this garbage seals the deal for me. thumbsup2.gif

I can't stress enough how important it would be to make any proof of missing restoration in the grading process as tangible and conclusive as possible by:

Taking detailed, large scans of a book in a CGG holder, out of the holder, and then in the new CGC holder with a purple label.

Having all three of those elements would automatically eliminate 99% of the possibilities of disputing the results and margins of error due to outside factors.

No, they have been doing a resto check since before 1/2004. They just wouldn't slab a book that they found to be restored or some such deal. Maybe one of the CGG acolytes can enlighten us on how exactly it worked if they ever show up.

Help my aging brain--didn't CGG only start offering restoration detection on 1/1/2004?

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifgossip.gif

I dunno but if they did do you really think they would have caught it anyway? confused.gif

BOC, just trying to be logical here as to how this could have happened-but in the end, it doesn't even matter (Linkin Park on the brain)--cause reputation will be negatively impacted.

It was a bad business decision to start the company without offering restoration checks and I definitely agree that this will hurt them big time---if not fatal. Oh, and a blind man can design a better website. 893whatthe.gif

Help my aging brain--didn't CGG only start offering restoration detection on 1/1/2004?

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifgossip.gif

I'm not sure, but to be perfectly honest a grading service that doesn't offer a restoration check is pointless. Half the reason to send your S.A. or G.A. book into a third party service is the resto check.

And for the record, trimming is the worst kind of "resto" - it borders on mutilation. The fact that many pre -1975 books are prone to this practice means that it should be a priority for graders to do a check on.

No, they have been doing a resto check since before 1/2004. They just wouldn't slab a book that they found to be restored or some such deal. Maybe one of the CGG acolytes can enlighten us on how exactly it worked if they ever show up.

That's right. Thanks for the mental recall. Bottom line-they either don't have appropriate restoration personnel on staff, or they are too sloppy. In any case, this doesn't bode well for them. I was hoping to try them out, but now...