• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Showcase #8

18 posts in this topic

Hello,

I got an offer for this comic book to buy and I’m not sure how to grade it. Since the seller is also not quite sure I wanted to ask the pro’s here what they think of it.

So please help me and shed a little light in my darkness.

Thanks for your grades and comments,

Archi

P.S.: I have a bigger picture here:

http://www6.pic-upload.de/21.12.10/8gcja17qpv5j.jpg

107483.jpg.9e76d76ee0c621f6661caada8c1574eb.jpg

Looks trimmed.

the top edge does bother me also.

is that moisture damage on the left side of the front cover from top down on the spine side?

also stains on the back cover.

outside of the potential of trimmed cover, the structure of the book is great but the moisture/stain problems will likely keep it at 5.0 for me.

I see a lot of color touch as well... I'm not familiar with rebuilding of spines but I'm sure what Kryptospidey sees is true.

And yes, possibly trimmed.

Nice looking book but heavily restored!

Hello,

thank you for your responses.

I asked the seller about restoration and other information about the history of the book, and he told me that he bought it in 1996 in San Diego from John Verzyl (comicheaven.net) and that it has repairs by Susan Ciccone. More he didn't know.

So, is the condition really that bad that the book ranges in the 5.0 area ? I'm almost afraid to post the picture of the #4 that the seller has also to offer but is out of my price range.

What price do we talk, if this issue would be offered by an experienced comic expert ?

Regards,

archi

I'd love to see the SC4!

Before talking apparent grade and pricing I would personally want to go into the restoration history a little more.

I don't know if you could get notes from Susan, if she actually was the one who worked on this book.

I don't have a lot of experience with her work but I've seen some examples and talked with her through email... she seems very fair and open.

Something feels a little off and you may want to repost this in the grading / restoration section where more knowledgeable people than I could help you.

:)

Yeah, I think I'll pass this opportunity, since it's also not in my normal mony spending area.

Hibou, I don't know Ms. Ciccone and never had something to do with her so I'm not sure how to ask her about this book and the work which was done with it.

Does she keep notes about the books she worked on and do you think she could find the right file by looking at the scan ?

Is it o.k. to post the same topic in the grading / restoration section or do I violate some board rules in doing so ?

Regards,

archi

Very true skypinkblu...

(Hey, I made a... nevermind.) :)

And I would think it would be fine to repost this in the other section... sorta like a second opinion type things for those involved in restoring books that may not frequent the PGM threads.

@skypinkblu: The seller bought the book without any further details about the restoration, and I don't know which one of the previous owners did send the book to Ms. Ciccone.

Here is a picture of the inside of the book:

http://www6.pic-upload.de/26.12.10/utpeyrjqo4sj.jpg

What is this at the bottom staple ? Some kind of code ?

I posted the book now in the restoration area:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4482602#Post4482602

and put the #4 also in this section to avoid two topics of the same issue (hpoe you don't mind me doing so).

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4482604#Post4482604

Regards,

Archi