• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Frankenstein" Comic Books

5 posts in this topic

I'm not talking about the monster.

I have heard of some people buying two copies of an issue. (One with no cover, but an okay interior, and the other with a nice cover, but a crappy interior. (for example) , taking the best parts of both books and splicing them together to make one HG comic.

1. Is this restoration?

2. Does this affect grade?

Thanks!

Yes, this will get a purple label qualifier every time for "cover married". Some pros can re-attach the staples perfectly, so don't ask me how CGC knows, but they seem to know every time when someone does this.

Yes, this will get a purple label qualifier every time for "cover married". Some pros can re-attach the staples perfectly, so don't ask me how CGC knows, but they seem to know every time when someone does this.

"Married Cover" will get a GREEN Label...not Purple,that's wrong.

It's typically either a mismatch on the edges of the pages/cover,where the "finger print" cut marks aren't matching for the cover/book....it's usaually a dead giveaway.

That,and the staples typically show "wear" or stress from being opened and closed...something CGC must also check.

That being said,it has been discussed,that if you were able to locate 2 books,from the exact same print run,with the same staple placement and edge cut characteristics,and paper quality,and the staples were able to be done without leaving any signs of wear.Marriage of two books could be pulled off undetected....it's not 100% impossible,just unlikely.

You dont get yourself a franken book by just marrying a BC and a FC. A true frankenberry is a *reconstructed* book: Heavy on rice paper, CT, and added chunks. The floridaboys however do hammer *much* more moderate (i.e. non-frankenbooks) books (with much slighter work) into the Ext category (thumbs u