• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you guys do???

160 posts in this topic

Ok, i have been looking for an Xmen 2 FOREVER and i got this one raw off of Ebay a few months ago from, lets say a less than reputable seller. It just got graded and i JUST got the imaging back.

It got an 8.0 ow/w which is considerably less than the grade i paid. I already talked to the seller a few days ago and he agreed to refund my money upon returning the book which i was all set to do until i saw the image.

xmen2-1-2.jpg

The notes say Jack Kirby written on 1st page in pen and Stan Lee 91 written in marker.

Now, i dont know if i should keep it or still return it. What do you think the odds are that Jack and Stan actually signed this, especially considering the seller is basically the Hitler of the comic world???

Dont know what the hell to do now ???

P.s.- I dont know WHAT THE HELL is going on with the chunk apparently missing on the right edge! That was DEFINITELY NOT like that when i sent it in! :mad:

I think that's just the way the light is hitting that spot on the word balloon,if that's what you mean.

As for the "info" on the label,if CGC didn't think it was "original",the label would have said "NAME written on 1st page",and not specified what it said,or who actually signed it.

I've had this discussion before with others,and it's likely real signatures.

P.s.- I dont know WHAT THE HELL is going on with the chunk apparently missing on the right edge! That was DEFINITELY NOT like that when i sent it in! :mad:

I think that's just the way the light is hitting that spot on the word balloon,if that's what you mean.

As for the "info" on the label,if CGC didn't think it was "original",the label would have said "NAME written on 1st page",and not specified what it said,or who actually signed it.

I thought i had read that before but wasnt sure.

Now, the question is, how much are Jack and Stan's John Hancocks on the book worth? Like i said, i paid significantly more than an 8.0 is worth!

p.s.- hope you're right about the "light hitting the spot". That is what i was talking about and there definitely wasnt a chip missing there when i sent it in.

Now, the question is, how much are Jack and Stan's John Hancocks on the book worth? Like i said, i paid significantly more than an 8.0 is worth!

p.s.- hope you're right about the "light hitting the spot". That is what i was talking about and there definitely wasnt a chip missing there when i sent it in.

The book looks undergraded for an 8.0.....but the sigs won't add much to the bottom line. If you're looking for 9.0.....you should return it and keep searching...not a rare or hot book.....but it's one of my favs, classic SA. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

What did you buy the book as?

If it was bought as an 9.0 I.d keep it and be happy that it didn't come back purple or green.

Also If you think that there is damage that wasn't there when you sent it in.. thats not the sellers fault and may have brought the book down.

Yeah, looks like a scanner artifact.

What did you buy the book as?

If it was bought as an 9.0 I.d keep it and be happy that it didn't come back purple or green.

Also If you think that there is damage that wasn't there when you sent it in.. thats not the sellers fault and may have brought the book down.

I agree, a Universal 8.0 from an E-Bay 9.0 isn't too bad. It also has nice page quality and the signatures are cool. Tough call but I'd just keep it, maybe use it in an upgrade trade.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!

I agree, considering the source, it's a miracle it isnt a PLOD!

When I get it in hand, I think I might give it a GOOD look as a pressing candidate. I want it for my personal collection not to ever sell but want a higher grade. Of it could press to 8.5 or 9.0, I would be thrilled and very happy. To me, the sigs are AWESOME even if they aren't official so I'd like to keep it, just not as an 8.0.

I guess I have to wait and see if it's a good pressing book that will upgrade a notch or 2.

The book looks undergraded for an 8.0.....but the sigs won't add much to the bottom line. If you're looking for 9.0.....you should return it and keep searching...not a rare or hot book.....but it's one of my favs, classic SA. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Ditto, if you paid much over the 8.0 price, plus compare it to what it might sell for, I'd return it.

The signatures are nice to have there, but it's like countless others before, you can't document them as authentic. I think they wouldn't raise the value much for resale, so they would be for your appreciation only.

If a 9.0+ is the goal, you will need to upgrade again. I doubt pressing would make a difference, especially to get a VFNM. It looks great though as it is, it's still a very nice book. Regards,

If you paid significantly more the the 8.0 price and the seller is willing to take it back, I would do so. Apparently, you are not happy with it and as long as you are safe of getting a refund, I say return it. Just make sure you take all measures to protect yourself.

I don't think what u paid matters.

you bought a raw book, if u paid for a 9.0 and got an 8.0 it melts down to grading being subjective.

as far as raw books on the internet you roll the dice.

That's normally true and I expect bad grading on eBay but this is different. In my mind, I was INTENTIOALLY screwed over by robojo (thumbs u

Peter,

I have zero experience with pressing, you don't think it's possible to get it to an 8.5 or maybe 9.0 with a pressing? I want it for my collection and if I could get a 9.0 with those "sigs", I would be :cloud9:

if you paid less than market value of a CGC 8.0, i'd say keep it. (thumbs u

No, I paid significantly more than a CGC 8.0 :blush:

well danny boy agreed to take it back, i'd send it back to him, and i'd crack it out of the slab first. :wishluck:

if you paid less than market value of a CGC 8.0, i'd say keep it. (thumbs u

No, I paid significantly more than a CGC 8.0 :blush:

well danny boy agreed to take it back, i'd send it back to him, and i'd crack it out of the slab first. :wishluck:

I would take plenty of pictures and make copies of all documents.