• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you guys do???

160 posts in this topic

I don't think what u paid matters.

you bought a raw book, if u paid for a 9.0 and got an 8.0 it melts down to grading being subjective.

as far as raw books on the internet you roll the dice.

That's normally true and I expect bad grading on eBay but this is different. In my mind, I was INTENTIOALLY screwed over by robojo (thumbs u

Peter,

I have zero experience with pressing, you don't think it's possible to get it to an 8.5 or maybe 9.0 with a pressing? I want it for my collection and if I could get a 9.0 with those "sigs", I would be :cloud9:

have you ever seen a book sold raw by Robojo that isn't perfectly flat? odd is this has been fully "maximized" so don't waste your time or money on "hope" with pressing.

this is what I would do..eventhough it is not easy to grade within a slab but post the best scan of the front and back on the PGM forum and see what the rest of us think the book can be...there are plenty of flaws in a 8.0 that can't be press up and we might be able to tell you.

if you paid less than market value of a CGC 8.0, i'd say keep it. (thumbs u

No, I paid significantly more than a CGC 8.0 :blush:

well danny boy agreed to take it back, i'd send it back to him, and i'd crack it out of the slab first. :wishluck:

I would take plenty of pictures and make copies of all documents.

I would ask him to pay for the CGC grading and shipping also, then let him have it slabbed.

If the goal is a 9.0 etc, then it's like any book, what's it worth and how much can you get for it to trade up. Return it if that gets you more than selling it at some point.

I would ask Matt Nelson about pressing if it was a candidate. From what I've seen, unless you can see a significant wrinkle or not flat area, pressing isn;t going to push it up much. Check the grader's notes first if that is a serious consideration. Moving from 8.0 to 9.0 that way is surely very unlikely, but look at the book and notes first. Regards,

That's normally true and I expect bad grading on eBay but this is different. In my mind, I was INTENTINOALLY screwed over by robojo (thumbs u

:golfclap: Now you're getting the hang of it.

DR.X

P.s.- I dont know WHAT THE HELL is going on with the chunk apparently missing on the right edge! That was DEFINITELY NOT like that when i sent it in! :mad:

I think that's just the way the light is hitting that spot on the word balloon,if that's what you mean.

As for the "info" on the label,if CGC didn't think it was "original",the label would have said "NAME written on 1st page",and not specified what it said,or who actually signed it.

I've had this discussion before with others,and it's likely real signatures.

I thought i had read that before but wasnt sure.

Now, the question is, how much are Jack and Stan's John Hancocks on the book worth? Like i said, i paid significantly more than an 8.0 is worth!

p.s.- hope you're right about the "light hitting the spot". That is what i was talking about and there definitely wasnt a chip missing there when i sent it in.

The book looks undergraded for an 8.0.....but the sigs won't add much to the bottom line. If you're looking for 9.0.....you should return it and keep searching...not a rare or hot book.....but it's one of my favs, classic SA. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Really? I know it's not a hot book or "rare" in the sense of some GA book or early FF's and such but i never see 8.5+ copies of X2. Back in the pre CGC days, i looked for over 10 years for a copy nicer than this one and never saw one out of the probably hundreds i saw. The only one i've seen in the last few months higher than this is a 9.4 thats been on ebay forever but that 1 is 17k IIRC. I definitely dont have that to drop on a X2.

I'm not being sarcastic at all, can any of you guys point me in the direction of a 8.5-9.0 X2?

I guess theres nothing else to do until i get it in hand. I'll try to get some good pics for you guys and see what you think about pressing. Like i said, if i could even squeeze a 8.5 out of it, i'd be VERY happy and it would be a book i'd be content to keep and not need to upgrade, especially with the sigs which are pretty cool to me.

I was just looking at Matts site and correct me if i'm wrong but it's just $5 for him to screen it as a pressing candidate? Is that right?

Thanks again guys! I know i'm coming off as one of those "i'm asking for advice even though my mind is already made up so tell me what i want to hear" people but that really isnt the case. I DO want to keep it because of how long i've been searching for 1 but i REALLY dont want an 8.0. 8.5 may not seem like much of a jump but for whatever crazy reason, thats my Mendoza line for not needing to upgrade.

with all the negative information on this site about robojo33, anyone who purchases his raw comics and expecting advertised grade isn't getting it.

Gee thanks!

I found this board AFTER i bought the book. I actually found this board BECAUSE i bought the book from robojo so he at least did a little good.

I had been out of the hobby for years and had gotten back in about a week before i bought the X2. I found the auction literally 3 minutes before it ended. He has 10 billion positive feedbacks and a money back guarantee. In my haste, i was dumb/uneducated enough to think that made buying a book i've been looking for for 20 years from him was fairly safe.

I made a mistake in my haste, sorry :blush:

Hey, live and learn. I am still surprised that book came back in a blue label given the seller.

Good luck on your search for a 9.0. :wishluck:

I recently picked up an X - Men #2 in 8.0 from a fellow board member but while I was looking for this issue did not see any in 8.5 or higher other than the one 9.4.

send it back and get your money. and IMO the sigs ARE NOTHING SPECIAL and dont save this books value you paid for it -- AS THEY CANT BE AUTHENTICATED after the fact, EVEN THOUGH THEY PROBABLY ARE REAL,

HOWEVER, DANNYS ALWAYS BEEN AN EXPERT FORGER AND BRAGS ABOUT IT TOO.

sorry all caps lock.

send it back and get your money. and IMO the sigs ARE NOTHING SPECIAL and dont save this books value you paid for it -- AS THEY CANT BE AUTHENTICATED after the fact, EVEN THOUGH THEY PROBABLY ARE REAL,

HOWEVER, DANNYS ALWAYS BEEN AN EXPERT FORGER AND BRAGS ABOUT IT TOO.

sorry all caps lock.

Great! Thats what i'm worried about.

I'm not worried about the books resale value as i'd like for this to be my keeper X2. If i was reasonably certain the sigs were genuine, it would probably make the extra money i paid worth it to me. it would probably cost me close to that extra cash to get Jack and Stans sigs and resubmit it anyways wouldnt it? I think they are cool though IF they are real even if they dont increase the resale value,

In the November Clink auction there was an AF15 4.0 with the same "stan lee written on 1st page" notation that i REALLY wanted because i thought that "sig" was really cool but got outbid. Difference is, as far as i know, that book didnt come from danny so when people said that CGC wouldnt put it there if they didnt think it was real, that was enough for me to believe it was real and worth extra to me.

Being from Danny though, i dont know if i can be reasonably certain the sigs are real.

Has Danny really bragged about being an expert forger? I know he was convicted for selling forgeries but was he the one supposedly signing the he was selling? Does anyone know?

you bought a raw book, if u paid for a 9.0 and got an 8.0 it melts down to grading being subjective.

That's normally true and I expect bad grading on eBay but this is different. In my mind, I was INTENTIOALLY screwed over by robojo (thumbs u

This is the only type of screwing over that Danny offers. The book is likely a formerly slabbed 7.5-8.5 that DD cracked out and graded 9.2 for eBay sale. That's his current MO.

Now you've learned a few valuable lessons.

First is, never, ever, ever buy a RAW book for a SLABBED price. Just don't do it. If THEY aren't willing to slab it, that's your most important sign that something's not right. At this stage in the game, books that have a financial benefit to slabbing should be slabbed, or sold at a significant discount. That's just the way it works.

Second...even an 8.0 from an eBay 9.2 is not horrible. I would be beyond ectsatic if every book I ever bought off eBay was only 3/4 of a grade off. (NM- to VF)

I have little doubt that that was a 7.5 or so already slabbed that was cracked and upgraded to a 9.2.

This is the only type of screwing over that Danny offers. The book is likely a formerly slabbed 7.5-8.5 that DD cracked out and graded 9.2 for eBay sale. That's his current MO.

Huh. More and more I just repeat what others have already said. ;)

I goatta agree with that. After the sale, I found the boards and read up on him and was scared as he'll it would come back a PLOD. I had my cc company flag the purchase as a possible dispute which they did. The second I saw it was an 8.0, I immediately emailed him and demanded my money back which he agreed to do. No question, I was sending it back since like I said, 8.5 is my threshold for a keeper on the book.

The sigs though are really cool to me and add alot to the book for me. Not enough to overcome not being an 8.5 but it's damn close. That's why I'm trying to I guess figure if I can somehow squeeze an 8.5 out of it and be happy with it. I was hoping someone would give me something that would definitely swing me one way or the other.

Until it gets here and I can have you guys and or Matt look at it, I wont be able to decide.

did Danny feature the sigs in his ebay auction?? if not, they are probably real. but, since they cant be authenticated after the fact, I cant see how they add value or even sentiment to the 8.0. Better to get your dough, start over, reload for a higher grade book.

I goatta agree with that. After the sale, I found the boards and read up on him and was scared as he'll it would come back a PLOD. I had my cc company flag the purchase as a possible dispute which they did. The second I saw it was an 8.0, I immediately emailed him and demanded my money back which he agreed to do. No question, I was sending it back since like I said, 8.5 is my threshold for a keeper on the book.

The sigs though are really cool to me and add alot to the book for me. Not enough to overcome not being an 8.5 but it's damn close. That's why I'm trying to I guess figure if I can somehow squeeze an 8.5 out of it and be happy with it. I was hoping someone would give me something that would definitely swing me one way or the other.

Until it gets here and I can have you guys and or Matt look at it, I wont be able to decide.

As close as it is to your grade limit, apply the adage "Buy the book, not the grade." If it meets your visual test, then consider keeping it no matter what the grade says.

It also sounds like the chances of finding the next book will take a while. If it's going to be a while, then you might keep that one for a time, if the price paid isn't too high compared to resale value. Night,

8.5s are nice books and signed by both Kirby and Lee is pretty special. I'd keep it. :sumo:

I agree!!! Problem is, right now it's a 8.0 lol

If it were me I would keep the book,no need to maximize the grade by pressing.Just be happy with the 8.0,as far as Robojo is concerned just be happy it did'nt come back a PLOD. 2c

I just called and got the graders notes on the X2.

It had numerous spine tics, some that broke color and some that did not. A few small creases on front and back cover, some which did not break color.

All 3 graders gave it an 8.0. I actually asked him if he thought it was a pressing candidate that could get to an 8.5 so i could use it for my 8.5+ run and he said based on the notes and the fact some of the creases and dings didnt break color it "might".

He said to send it to Matt and he would be able to tell me more definitively. DUH!!! lol j/k

I was kind of hoping at least 1 of the graders gave it either a 8.5 or a 7.5. If there was a 7.5, i figured i couldnt press it to an 8.5 and would return it. If it had an 8.5, i would keep it and send it to Matt to see what he thinks. All 8.0's just leaves me as undecided as before hm