• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Iron Man 55

24 posts in this topic

Hello: This is my second post on the boards. I just found out my Iron Man 55 has been graded a 9.6 Unrestored, White/Off White pages. I was wondering what you guy's thought it is worth now? I paid $200 for it unslabbed, from a person that really needed the money. I realize it is worth a lot more than $200 now. But what would you think a Fair Market Value is?? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks for the number. But I have seen 9.4's selling for over $700.00 lately. Maybe that is high, but I have seen two 9.4's sell for $745 and $750 respectively... Either way, I got a good deal. I will have to wait for the new OverStreet too come out I guess..

Thanks for the number. But I have seen 9.4's selling for over $700.00 lately. Maybe that is high, but I have seen two 9.4's sell for $745 and $750 respectively... Either way, I got a good deal. I will have to wait for the new OverStreet too come out I guess..

Congrats on your pick-up. I picked up my CGC 9.4 less than a year ago for

$325.

There is one on E-Bay right now. It is a 9.4 going for around $690.00 or so. Mine is a legitimate 9.6 It deserved the grade, without question. I would of figured a legitimate 9.6 would of been over $1,000. But I may be wrong. I refused $975.00 just last night. Either way I got the book I had been searching for. Thanks for all the input.

There is one on E-Bay right now. It is a 9.4 going for around $690.00 or so. Mine is a legitimate 9.6 It deserved the grade, without question. I would of figured a legitimate 9.6 would of been over $1,000. But I may be wrong. I refused $975.00 just last night. Either way I got the book I had been searching for. Thanks for all the input.

You maybe right. What its worth 893scratchchin-thumb.gif whatever the person willing to spend for it, and what the market dictates. Good Luck

Where did you see the 9.4s sell for $745 and $750? They don't show up in GPAnalysis.com. Someone should let them know if they missed two ebay auctions for those amounts.

FYI, GPA shows the following sales info on that book:

Three 9.6s sold since November 2002. $700 in 11/02, $500 in 01/03, and $651 in 05/03. No 9.6s sold since May 2003.

Four 9.4s have sold since November 2003. $599 and $450 in 11/03, $625 in 02/04, and $475 eleven days ago.

With these numbers, the $975 offer you got is probably close to the high water mark for now in my opinion. Maybe a little more, but it's hard to say with no documented sales of a 9.6 since May 2003. There are 13 copies in the census as of the last update though (and 4 9.8s), so it isn't super-rare in 9.6 or better. It's still a great book in great shape though, and one I'd be happy to own. Congrats on the 9.6. thumbsup2.gif

I'd call that guy back up and take 975 if I were you. Perhaps it could go for 1k, but as Fantasy said past sales don't indicate that it would.. past sales show between 650-750 it would appear.

Brian

I'd call that guy back up and take 975 if I were you. Perhaps it could go for 1k, but as Fantasy said past sales don't indicate that it would.. past sales show between 650-750 it would appear.

Yep, once there are multiple 9.8's for the true speculator, the 9.6 values can never reach too lofty a multiple.

Where did you see the 9.4s sell for $745 and $750? They don't show up in GPAnalysis.com. Someone should let them know if they missed two ebay auctions for those amounts.

With these numbers, the $975 offer you got is probably close to the high water mark for now in my opinion. Maybe a little more, but it's hard to say with no documented sales of a 9.6 since May 2003.

There's more to life than what GPAnalysis tracks.

True, but they are supposed to be catching all of the major auction sales. I wasn't suggesting that the 9.4 sales didn't happen -- just that GPA might have missed them and that someone should let them know. If it was a private sale, that is another matter.

With these numbers, the $975 offer you got is probably close to the high water mark for now in my opinion. Maybe a little more, but it's hard to say with no documented sales of a 9.6 since May 2003.

There's more to life than what GPAnalysis tracks.

Brian

ditto, flip it and take the money and run! 893scratchchin-thumb.giflaugh.gif

I have wanted this book, in this condition, for a very long time. I think I will hang onto it. It should go up in value....... As far as taking the $975 and running, nah I too big too run. I could pull or strain something lol

Why would you have to wait for the new OS to get an idea? The book probably won't even list for $200 in 9.4 in it and the sales prices recorded in the book are usually pretty old by the time the book hits the shelves...

The book has a first apperance of a few Marvel characters. It is fairly hard too find in a 9.2 or above. It is in my opinion, a "blue chip" book for the long run type of investor. Surely to continually go up in value over the years.

Isn't it the first app of Thanos? Last I heard he has gone pretty far downhill since the Infinity Gauntlet. There's 66 copies of this book in 9.2 or better condition. I'd question just how popular Thanos is, and if he can stand up against another 50-75, how ever many more copies that will eventually be graded.

I normally wouldn't tell someone this b/c I think ppl should hold on to books they like, but you appear to be a straightforward investor. If you're looking to invest, a bronze age book featuring a first app of a fast-fading character isn't what I'd be sinking money into. Sell the book, take the money, and buy some stocks or mutual funds.

Brian

Well, if he's a collector and paid $200 for it it he got a good deal and should keep the book. Over the long haul ... 10-20+ yrs. ... it should still be worth more than $200. grin.gif

On the other hand if, like you suggest, he's strictly an investor, then I would flip it and reinvest it.

I am a collector of book's first. A investor secondly. Every character will eventually have there up's and down's in popularity. Either the character will rise or fall. I have done the work. Almost 90% of the time, over the long haul. Investments like this, will out perform stocks and bond's. There are always exceptions, be it book's or other form's of investing. You cant look at a stock or bond, like you can look at a good book. I still get a rush looking at these book's. A true collector always will. As far as it not going for $200 9.4 Yes it will, in my opinion.