• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is it better to invest in Silver or Gold?

68 posts in this topic

Check the facts...Demand plays a much greater role in the 'price' of an item than the Supply. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Exactly, and you can sell any grade early to mid-Silver ASM all day long. Most collectors buy what they know and like, and it's always a safe bet to supply their needs.

I really think there is a demand for Gold--just no supply to meet the demand.

In the case of Silver, there's demand--and tons and tons of supply.

Frankly, I think a lot of collectors, the bulk of them, would drool over the idea of getting almost *any* Golden Age *or* Silver Age book featuring a major character!

(They just can't find them--or can't afford them!)

I'll give you a case in point:

A few years ago, All-Flash # 1 was worth LESS than Showcase # 8.

Today it is more--rightly so.

Charlie

Oh, and before somebody disagrees with me about the supply of Silver Age..

I once went to a convention in New York City, and I couldn't believe my eyes. Okay, there were some super-key Golden Agers there. There was a Superman nn. There was a Batman #1.

But one guy had DOZENS of copies of Showcase#4, Hulk #1, Fantastic Four#1, Amazing Fantasy #15, just LINED UP.

Nobody, NOBODY has dozens of copies of Superman nn.

Charlie

Exactly, and due to this run-up in prices, the time to INVEST in Gold was then, not today. I personally don't see how Gold prices are going to shoot up over the next decade, as they've already had their day in the sun.

I really think there is a demand for Gold--just no supply to meet the demand.

In the case of Silver, there's demand--and tons and tons of supply.

Frankly, I think a lot of collectors, the bulk of them, would drool over the idea of getting almost *any* Golden Age *or* Silver Age book featuring a major character!

(They just can't find them--or can't afford them!)

I'll give you a case in point:

Charlie

I think you need to clarify which GOLDS are popular. (Superhero)

Funny Animal and Reality Based (tv or classic) GA aren't too popular and frequently get no bids at all on eBay.

Modern Age - pick 1,000 books for $5 each... you sell someday for $50 each.

More accurate:

Modern Age - pick 1,000 books for $5 each... you sell someday for $0.05 each, except one, which you sell for $50. No way to tell which one. Probably the mutant that will become important in 10 years that seems stupid today.

I should have been a little more clear with this one...

Modern Age - pick 1,000 books that are already 10 to 15 years old for $5 each...

you sell someday for $50 each.

There's no way you'll pick correctly if you pick books that are under 5 years old.

Thanks for clarifying! grin.gif

Exactly, and due to this run-up in prices, the time to INVEST in Gold was then, not today. I personally don't see how Gold prices are going to shoot up over the next decade, as they've already had their day in the sun.

Wellll... we could say that about Silver as well.. do I smell a crash thread coming?

I mean--I remember buying Iron Man # 1 for $6 when I was a kid and thinking, wow, I can't believe I spent $6 on a COMIC BOOK! Around the same time I bought FF #48, other such books, fairly cheap..

Hundreds, thousands of dollars for these books? Will they hit tens of thousands? I can't see how. There are just too many out there.

Charlie

Hundreds, thousands of dollars for these books? Will they hit tens of thousands? I can't see how. There are just too many out there.

Speculator demand outstrips reality by a long shot.

I mean, just take a quick peek at an ultra-common book like Hulk 181 and the prices it's bringing.

Modern Age - pick 1,000 books for $5 each... you sell someday for $50 each.

More accurate:

Modern Age - pick 1,000 books for $5 each... you sell someday for $0.05 each, except one, which you sell for $50. No way to tell which one. Probably the mutant that will become important in 10 years that seems stupid today.

I should have been a little more clear with this one...

Modern Age - pick 1,000 books that are already 10 to 15 years old for $5 each...

you sell someday for $50 each.

There's no way you'll pick correctly if you pick books that are under 5 years old.

Thanks for clarifying! grin.gif

Um.. gotta be honest with you my friend.

There ain't no way to pick Modern Age books correctly, in my humble opinion.

I remember back in the day, when people were wisely investing their $10-$20 each on Howard the Duck #1.. Thor # 337.. the list goes on of "sure pick Modern Age investment books."

Charlie

I remember back in the day, when people were wisely investing their $10-$20 each on Howard the Duck #1.. Thor # 337.. the list goes on of "sure pick Modern Age investment books."

Was anyone buying those books for $10 - $20 each after 10 to 15 years?

It's the benefit of hindsight that improves the odds on modern books...

No one gets it right when the books are brand new. Give it time... grin.gif

Already had their day in the sun... are you for real?!? 893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

Timely

Already had their day in the sun... are you for real?!? 893frustrated.gif27_laughing.gif

Personally, I don't believe there is much upward movement left in Golden Age, especially in the high-grade CGC market.

If I'm wrong and GA books triple in value next year, then I'll be wrong.

Personally, I don't believe there is much upward movement left in Golden Age, especially in the high-grade CGC market.

So you are saying only a tripleing in the price of GA books will constitute upward movement for you. foreheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif

Timely

So you are saying only a tripleing in the price of GA books will constitute upward movement for you. foreheadslap.giftonofbricks.gif

Okay, a better way to say it would be that the Golden Age sector must outperform the Silver, Bronze and Modern areas for your argument to make any sense.

At its base, the whole question is ludicrous, as I'd have to be on crack to even contemplate investing serious cash into comic books. foreheadslap.gif

Since your thread title is about "investment " and that means to invest in something in the hopes of a return.

What are all your thoughts on Bronze keys..

since they can be had for small change now compared to GA, and SA keys.

Would it be worth the gamble to grab up alot of BA keys now, and wait the 15-20 years to see what the market does.

Besides the overpriced Giant Size x-men #1. and Hulk 181

Will all the bronze keys ever top out for big bucks in years to come?

Is it that much of a different fish then SA comics were 25 years ago when they could be had for small change , and now they are demanding big bucks?

Since time isnt as much a factor in a comics increase in worth, as the comic itself, its artists, and writers, and titles/charecters themselves.

Are BA still early enough to not be so run of the mill like most all Moderns are today?

I guess what I am trying to say is if a comic isnt popular when it comes out or soon after, then even after 50 years, the comic will be worth nothing.

But since there is enough fan base to buy BA comics now, does that mean bronze comics will then attain similar status as SA comics did after 45 years?

And then as an investment would it not be correct to say if you want to gamble and buy a few grand worth of BA now and wait to see, then perhaps you will get lucky and have 4 or 5 big scores down the road in 20 years?.

As opposed to buying 1 GA comic for a few grand now and waiting to see if it increases after 20 years as an investment.

Does the buy low sell high apply to this theory?

Since BA can be had cheapest of all 3 GA, SA, BA

or will BA always be small fish to the collecting market, as an investment?

Zeman

SIlver has greater demand and the characters are all still active...

Gold is "rarer" than Silver, but the demand is less, so I would only stick to 3 or 4 top characters and stay away from the dead heroes' books and esoteric stuff as cool as they may be. If you are thinking investment first, you want to stay as liquid as you can, and thats comics with greater demand that will sell when YOU want to sell, not sit around.

Also, with Silver prices havingtaken off in recent years, there is a solid argument that Gold will now "catch up" as it has done in the past.

Aman;

Generally in full agreement with everything you are saying here.

One point which I wanted to add is that I feel that the demand factor will always be more important than the supply factor. In fact, I feel that a limited supply can have a negative impact on demand and prices since collectors are not interested in obtaining books which they are not likely to ever find.

I also agree that Silver has gone through a massive price increase over the past few years similar to the late 80's / early 90's. The only question is whether Gold will go through their own catch-up period similar to the huge increases in GA during the late '94 to early '96 time period. I still remember buying GA for around $1K to $1.5K back in '91 and '92 and then having dealers offer me $10K for them during the big GA run-up in '95.

For anybody going into GA right now, the keys are pretty well too expensive for virtually all of us. A better approach would be to stick with classic covers and as high grade as possible. Best to stay away from mid-run mid-grade books since there are far too many to choose from and not enough of a demand factor to justify buying any of these.

One point which I wanted to add is that I feel that the demand factor will always be more important than the supply factor.

Of course it is, with zero demand what does it matter how low the supply is? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You mean...you'd be able to ACCEPT being wrong? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

YOU'RE A NEW MAN!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif