• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where do 9.8's come from? Whats on a shelf? Whats in your mail?

42 posts in this topic

RMA -

To give the impression one could just walk into their lcs on release day and easily pick 9.8s would be false.

It is not easy pulling current 9.8s. There is a lot of work and time involved in it. I know what a 9.8 looks like, and what a borderline 9.8 looks like... there are more 9.6 and borderlines than ever.

If I have to go through 300 books from 3 different stores to make sure I pull 6 clean copies of one title I wouldn't call that easy.

The major publishers are only concerned about the bottom line. They could care less about the high grade collectors.

BeachBum's service is exceptional, but I love to try and pick out the 9.8's myself. It's a great way to learn the way it all works. His service will save you time, save you on mistakes (which will save you money), it's very much worth it. Some of us are just old school hard headed I guess.

I've also had great success through DCBS ordering my books bagged and boarded.

Me, personally, when I'm picking books, I want to be able to pick MY copy from the stack, so I can be assured of a 9.8 (or better), rather than hope somebody else does it for me.

But that's just me. The odds of getting high grade books from DCBS are decent, but they're not odds I wish to play, so I don't.

Same here!!

As far as picking 9.8's from the shelves, it is pretty easy if the store gets large #'s of books to go through although that is not always a determining factor. For instance;

1. How were they packed by Diamond and were the cases handled properly by shipping personnel.

2. What company is the book printed by? Marvel seems to have a bad run on there books sometimes that can last for months ie; Huge spine dings that can be found on every copy. I don't know how certain Marvel comics ever make it into a 9.8 CGC case unless they have been pressed(many other posts discuss pressing). Zenescope also has horrible looking books every time I see them!

3. How many copies of each book are there? Small press books that are ordered light are less likely to be found in high grade as there are less to choose from.

4. How many heavy handed comic readers that don't care about grades have sat there and thumbed the book with fry grease all over their hands??

5. Do the store clerks handle the books with care when pulling from the cases, then setting them on the shelves??

6. Even after all this, can you get your now cherry picked books to the cashier, into the bag, set into your car gently, pulled out of the car, into your abode, into a bag and board, and into a box without causing small defects that will downgrade said books.

7. Lastly, storing properly seems easy enough but done wrong and you screw yourself. For instance, before I figured out a system to fix the problem of half full boxes, I have had several occurrences of the books falling forward in the box and going unnoticed for a couple of days turning 9.8 books into 9.6 or less specimens.

PHEW!!!! That's all I got. Good luck high grade collecting and WTTB

Great points Gradejunky!

As for my personal collection I use excess backing boards at both ends of boxes, double board and bag my books, starting at one end of box with say issue #1 from a run with backing board side facing end of box, then turn issue #2 facing issue #1, then repeat process until box is almost full then add more backing boards. Have noticed this helps eliminate natural curl which takes place when having all books in a box facing same direction due to spine side being thicker.

Yes, I know this increases cost of bagging and boarding my personal collection, but it's worth it to me.

RMA -

To give the impression one could just walk into their lcs on release day and easily pick 9.8s would be false.

I completely and adamantly disagree. As recently as this summer, the last time I bothered to look at new books, I saw many dozens of 9.8 potentials sitting on shelves.

It is not easy pulling current 9.8s. There is a lot of work and time involved in it.

Look, I understand that you have your business model to protect, and that's fine. But the fact is, it is easier to pull 9.8s from brand new books than any other age, even month old books, for obvious reasons. The difficult issues are more than offset by the easy ones.

I know what a 9.8 looks like, and what a borderline 9.8 looks like

As do I.

... there are more 9.6 and borderlines than ever.

And yet, there seem to be a large chunk of 9.9s and 10s coming out of IDW, for example.

If I have to go through 300 books from 3 different stores to make sure I pull 6 clean copies of one title I wouldn't call that easy.

You're misunderstanding the issue. Allow me to explain: I'm not talking about specific issues of specific titles. I'm speaking in general.

If you are forced to find specific 9.8s of specific issues, that obviously could prove difficult. But if you were to ask me to find 9.8s in a store on new comics day, without respect to title or issue, it wouldn't be a problem...at all. And that title you had a problem with this month may not be a problem next month.

The major publishers are only concerned about the bottom line. They could care less about the high grade collectors.

They could...? hm

The major publishers have never been concerned with high grade copies. This is nothing new. Large swaths of books had severe printing problems in the very early 90's. Try finding a 9.8 Wolverine #35. They don't exist. And I stood there, looking through brand new stacks of the book when it came out. But Wolverine 38s? No problem.

Me, personally, when I'm picking books, I want to be able to pick MY copy from the stack, so I can be assured of a 9.8 (or better), rather than hope somebody else does it for me.

But that's just me. The odds of getting high grade books from DCBS are decent, but they're not odds I wish to play, so I don't.

Same here!!

As far as picking 9.8's from the shelves, it is pretty easy if the store gets large #'s of books to go through although that is not always a determining factor. For instance;

1. How were they packed by Diamond and were the cases handled properly by shipping personnel.

Since Diamond doesn't like returns, the vast majority of their books are packed and handled properly.

2. What company is the book printed by? Marvel seems to have a bad run on there books sometimes that can last for months ie; Huge spine dings that can be found on every copy. I don't know how certain Marvel comics ever make it into a 9.8 CGC case unless they have been pressed(many other posts discuss pressing). Zenescope also has horrible looking books every time I see them!

Absolutely.

3. How many copies of each book are there? Small press books that are ordered light are less likely to be found in high grade as there are less to choose from.

Lowered copies = lowered odds.

4. How many heavy handed comic readers that don't care about grades have sat there and thumbed the book with fry grease all over their hands??

Then it is incumbent on the high grade collector to get there first.

5. Do the store clerks handle the books with care when pulling from the cases, then setting them on the shelves??

Then it is incumbent on the high grade collector to educate store clerks in this matter.

6. Even after all this, can you get your now cherry picked books to the cashier, into the bag, set into your car gently, pulled out of the car, into your abode, into a bag and board, and into a box without causing small defects that will downgrade said books.

Entirely within the control of the high grade collector, so not a problem.

7. Lastly, storing properly seems easy enough but done wrong and you screw yourself. For instance, before I figured out a system to fix the problem of half full boxes, I have had several occurrences of the books falling forward in the box and going unnoticed for a couple of days turning 9.8 books into 9.6 or less specimens.

Also not a problem.

Great points Gradejunky!

As for my personal collection I use excess backing boards at both ends of boxes, double board and bag my books, starting at one end of box with say issue #1 from a run with backing board side facing end of box, then turn issue #2 facing issue #1, then repeat process until box is almost full then add more backing boards. Have noticed this helps eliminate natural curl which takes place when having all books in a box facing same direction due to spine side being thicker.

Yes, I know this increases cost of bagging and boarding my personal collection, but it's worth it to me.

I assume you're using Mylar/mylites and not Poly bags to help offset the cost?

You're misunderstanding the issue. Allow me to explain: I'm not talking about specific issues of specific titles. I'm speaking in general.

If you are forced to find specific 9.8s of specific issues, that obviously could prove difficult. But if you were to ask me to find 9.8s in a store on new comics day, without respect to title or issue, it wouldn't be a problem...at all. And that title you had a problem with this month may not be a problem next month.

FWIW, I think it is you who misunderstand the issue. Who cares about going into the LCS and picking up random books that would grade 9.8? It is the challenge of keeping a complete run of a title going in 9.8 that makes the issue both fun and frustrating.

RMA -

I completely and adamantly disagree. As recently as this summer, the last time I bothered to look at new books, I saw many dozens of 9.8 potentials sitting on shelves.

It is not easy pulling current 9.8s. There is a lot of work and time involved in it.

Look, I understand that you have your business model to protect, and that's fine. But the fact is, it is easier to pull 9.8s from brand new books than any other age, even month old books, for obvious reasons. The difficult issues are more than offset by the easy ones.

As do I.

And yet, there seem to be a large chunk of 9.9s and 10s coming out of IDW, for example.

They could...? hm

The major publishers have never been concerned with high grade copies. This is nothing new. Large swaths of books had severe printing problems in the very early 90's. Try finding a 9.8 Wolverine #35. They don't exist. And I stood there, looking through brand new stacks of the book when it came out. But Wolverine 38s? No problem.

I don't understand your basis of contradiction since you admit not bother looking at new modern books since last summer - & I could care less about protecting my "business model" since I still consider this a hobby/business - ask any of my clients - I consider them friends. I have a "real" business that I'm busy running.

If someone walks up to me at a con and asks an opinion or I spot something high grade that someone else might be interested in I'll point it out to them and help, I could care less how it impacts my "business model".

But since I only submit 60-90 books a week, attend conventions nationwide looking at books, and have discussed printing practices with Execs at some of the Major publsihers I apparently have no basis to form my own opinion on. (shrug)

But then again what do I know? I just wanted to help out the OP so he didn't just grab a random book of the shelf on release day and expect a 9.8.

RMA -

As do I.

They could...? hm

I don't understand your basis of contradiction since you admit not bother looking at new modern books since last summer - & I could care less about protecting my "business model" since I still consider this a hobby/business - ask any of my clients - I consider them friends. I have a "real" business that I'm busy running.

If someone walks up to me at a con and asks an opinion or I spot something high grade that someone else might be interested in I'll point it out to them and help, I could care less how it impacts my "business model".

But since I only submit 60-90 books a week, attend conventions nationwide looking at books, and have discussed printing practices with Execs at some of the Major publsihers I apparently have no basis to form my own opinion on. (shrug)

But then again what do I know? I just wanted to help out the OP so he didn't just grab a random book of the shelf on release day and expect a 9.8.

:golfclap:

I have self-subbed dozens of 9.8s that came from my LCS' pull and hold file. I also subbed a half dozen 9.8 WDs that i pulled from my "reader book" longboxes that had been sitting in there unbagged and unboarded for years. I did get two 9.6s but I think they both were 9.8s, too.

So here's the answer:

Easy to find a few 9.8s among the 2500 comics your shop gets in on wed if you get there early before the spine benders have trashed the books, though very difficult to do so if you show up on Thursday.

Not so easy to necessarily get a 9.8 from the title you're actually looking for.

While it is a bit obvious, if you have a well-ordered title and get there early enough, the copies in the center of the pile on the rack probably have the best shot at not having been messed up, at least in my moderate experience.

FWIW, I think it is you who misunderstand the issue. Who cares about going into the LCS and picking up random books that would grade 9.8? It is the challenge of keeping a complete run of a title going in 9.8 that makes the issue both fun and frustrating.

Nope, no misunderstanding the issue on this end. The question was "where do 9.8s come from?" It was a general question with a general response. My response was: in person, generally, at the LCS off the rack.

It certainly is a challenge to keep a 9.8 run going...but that wasn't the question.

So...yeah, no, no misunderstanding here. I think, then, the misunderstanding is on your part.

(thumbs u

I don't understand your basis of contradiction since you admit not bother looking at new modern books since last summer -

That would be the summer of 2010. I doubt anything has radically changed in the last five months.

& I could care less about protecting my "business model" since I still consider this a hobby/business - ask any of my clients - I consider them friends. I have a "real" business that I'm busy running.

Whether or not you consider this a hobby/business, the fact is, it is something you do for income, and thus plays a part in the discussion, even if it's only in the fact that you have a vested interest on one side of it.

Not relevant to this discussion.

:eyeroll:

Now, really, there's no need to play the martyr. Anyone reading this should know that you run a service to find brand new 9.8s for many customers. Obviously...and no one is questioning this...that gives you a great deal of experience in this matter.

But that doesn't mean that others aren't equally skilled.

The OP didn't say "how do I get complete 9.8 runs of specific titles?" The OP simply asked where and how hard it was to get 9.8s. A general question, to which was given a general answer.

To suggest that 9.8s in the general context of the question asked are difficult to find would be very disingenuous.

I'm sorry if that offends you, but it's true nonetheless.

Nothing about this thread offends me and i never said others aren't equally skilled, in fact I was on the phone with a few fellow boardies comparing notes today - Just trying to relay sensible info to the op and not be simplistic on the determining factors.

You really don't know me at all... I guess I could be like others and take the "matyr", "offend", & "disingenuous" bait. But I won't bother.

Nothing about this thread offends me

Good, because there's nothing for you to be offended about.

and i never said others aren't equally skilled,

No, but it was implied in the "I guess I just don't know what I'm talking about, even though I sub 60-90 books a week, go to national cons and speak to publishers about printing" melodramatic hyperbole. Do I really need to spell it out...?

in fact I was on the phone with a few fellow boardies comparing notes today - Just trying to relay sensible info to the op and not be simplistic on the determining factors.

As am I. We disagree about the relative ease of finding these items in the wild, and we both have the chops to make educated statements regarding this issue. I think you're wrong, you think I'm wrong. Fair enough. But you'll notice, I gave you recognition and credit in regards to being able to tell what a 9.8 is, while you simply contradicted me without acknowledging credit where credit is due. I imagine you think there IS no credit due. No problem. You're not the first, and won't be the last. :)

You really don't know me at all...

Absolutely true and unlikely to change, though I never said, nor implied, that I did.

I guess I could be like others and take the "matyr", "offend", & "disingenuous" bait. But I won't bother.

I find it incredibly sad that you think the phrase "I'm sorry if that offends you" is "bait." I also find it incredibly sad that you think telling the truth is also "bait."

I can most definitely assure you...despite what some may have said..."baiting" anyone is the very last thing on my mind. But I'm quite certain you won't believe that, either. Don't know why you felt the need to take my comments personally, but hey, we're all comic geeks and taking things personally is our raison d'être.

Take care.

(thumbs u