• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbed or cracked with label ...

25 posts in this topic

... would it make an appreciable difference to you if you were buying?

I have cracked a number of lesser slabs to add to my reading collection and have slid the label into the back of the comic bag.

I am wondering if I am devaluing the books somewhat should I wish to sell if my collecting tastes change?*

*I should mention that if I am buying, I don't draw a distinction between slabbed and cracked books as long as a label accompanies the sale.

Though I do prefer a cracked book over raw because of the restoration check and CGC grading (which I believe has a cachet).

I suppose it all depends on how much the buyer trusts the seller. The label could have come from a book that was cracked for SS or a resub.

I recently bought a cracked book from someone I trusted and gladly paid around GPA for it.

I suppose it all depends on how much the buyer trusts the seller. The label could have come from a book that was cracked for SS or a resub.

I recently bought a cracked book from someone I trusted and gladly paid around GPA for it.

I guess I should qualify my question a bit. When selling, I mean through the Board.

I think it makes a difference when selling through the boards, because some people only collect slabbed stuff, so you're limiting your potential pool of buyers. It wouldn't make a difference with me if it was something I wanted, as I crack everything out anyway. GPA rarely enters my decision-making process.

Loaded question with many answers.

All depends on the book.

If it's a book where the value in the grade (especially an ultra high grade) then people may prefer to buy the book slabbed rather than take a chance on regrade.

If it's a low to mid grade book some people may prefer it raw with the label simply providing a little reassurance.

Unfortunately the label is worthless out of the slab,so I would'nt pay a premium for the book.I would however consider the book if it was a trusted board member. 2c

I wouldn't say that. I cracked most of my GA books out to enjoy them but the label still provides a lot of valuable info about the book. People have bought my cracked out books and enjoyed them after me. I also happened to get pretty much full market value for the books. Obviously it doesn't if the book has been damaged after cracking it out but you get my point.

CGC slabs are meant to facilitate comic book sales between people who don't know each other but if the seller is trustworthy (as the majority of board members are) then there is still a lot of value in knowing that the book was CGC graded at some point in the past.

Unfortunately the label is worthless out of the slab,so I would'nt pay a premium for the book.I would however consider the book if it was a trusted board member. 2c

I wouldn't say that. I cracked most of my GA books out to enjoy them but the label still provides a lot of valuable info about the book. People have bought my cracked out books and enjoyed them after me. I also happened to get pretty much full market value for the books. Obviously it doesn't if the book has been damaged after cracking it out but you get my point.

CGC slabs are meant to facilitate comic book sales between people who don't know each other but if the seller is trustworthy (as the majority of board members are) then there is still a lot of value in knowing that the book was CGC graded at some point in the past.

Well Roy you are in my opinion the epitome of a trusted board member,so yes I would trust a book outside of a slab that came from you.

Makes sense to me! (thumbs u

I also find a lot of GA collectors are more accepting of resto and lowgrades (label or not) because there just aren't that many high grade copies out there as with other ages.

Loaded question with many answers.

All depends on the book.

If it's a book where the value in the grade (especially an ultra high grade) then people may prefer to buy the book slabbed rather than take a chance on regrade.

If it's a low to mid grade book some people may prefer it raw with the label simply providing a little reassurance.

More like all depends on the seller IMO...

I guess if you trusted the seller its cool but id rather crack my own purchases out if need be

Of course, this becomes "the chicken or the egg". :baiting:

Or if you trusted the grading service :baiting: