• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grant Morrison

126 posts in this topic

Geoff Johns cannot hold Grant Morrison's jock.

While Grant Morrison has written crud, he also manages to come up with masterpieces, the likes of which only a select few (Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Kurt Busiek) can manage.

And these guys are not without their crud, too. 1963 was awful. And Deathblow vs. Wildwhatever? Gag.

Morrison has, if nothing else, the masterpiece in 4th wall expressionism that is Animal Man #1-26. If he NEVER wrote anything ele, he would be a master for that alone.

And then, you consider Arkham Asylum, We3, Doom Patrol...the guy's got chops, and he's not afraid to write crud in search of brilliance. Not everyone can be a Mozart. Sometimes, like Beethoven, you have to write some garbage to get the masterpieces.

On the other hand...how many masterpieces has Geoff Johns written.....?

Just read Animal Man 1-2926. You will be converted. His stuff may be shiite lately, but there was a time in the 80's and early 90s where he was a top-notch creator, spoken in the same breath as Alan Moore, and rightfully so.

Peter Milligan took over at #27.

But most definitely agreed on the rest of the points.

Dammit. That's twice I've gotten owned in the last five minutes. :cry:

:acclaim: to owning the ginger.

I wouldn't want to rent someone who doesn't know the essential Morrison, much less own them. Might I recommend Doom Patrol 19-63 as well? Not every issue is a gem, but many are and the Animal Man run is part of what brought me back to comics.

While Grant Morrison has written crud, he also manages to come up with masterpieces, the likes of which only a select few (Alan Moore, Frank Miller, Kurt Busiek) can manage.

And these guys are not without their crud, too. 1963 was awful. And Deathblow vs. Wildwhatever? Gag.

Morrison has, if nothing else, the masterpiece in 4th wall expressionism that is Animal Man #1-26. If he NEVER wrote anything ele, he would be a master for that alone.

And then, you consider Arkham Asylum, We3, Doom Patrol...the guy's got chops, and he's not afraid to write crud in search of brilliance. Not everyone can be a Mozart. Sometimes, like Beethoven, you have to write some garbage to get the masterpieces.

Uh, hold it right there mister. Don't be messing with Beethoven. He, was the genius, not Mozart.

Both writers have a different style. Yes Morrisons has written many masterpieces but he also has crud. But even thuogh Johns has fewer masterpieces, he hasnt written anything terrible either. Johns always writes a good story.

You cant discount Geoff Johns Green Lantern Trilogy with rebirth, sinestro war and blackest night. He injected life into the GL world. Also hes the master of FLASH. Infinite Crisis was pretty good as well. His Teen Titans run was amazing. But yes i agree its nothing of a success of Morrison level of say his recent Batman and Robin, All Star Superman, Arkham Asylum, Animal Man, Heck even his New X-men was good.

We can say Johns always bats .325 and hits 20 HRs 100 RBIs every year.

But Morrison bats .270 25 HRs and 75 RBIs sometimes he hits .343 60 HRs and 160 RBIs.

Uh, hold it right there mister. Don't be messing with Beethoven. He, was the genius, not Mozart.

Oh, god.

You engaged him about classical music.

Run.

Run, now.

Don't look back, just run!!!!!

Had Mozart lived, very few outside of contemporary circles and music historians would have ever heard of Ludwig van Beethoven.

And yes, I mean that quite sincerely.

Beethoven was a phenomenal composer, and the lynchpin between the Classic and the Romantic in music history.

But only because Mozart had the decency to die first.

If Beethoven is Amazing Fantasy #15, Mozart is Action #1, 'Tec #27, and Marvel Comics #1 all wrapped up.

Oh, god.

You engaged him about classical music.

Run.

Run, now.

Don't look back, just run!!!!!

eekout.gif

I'd add Seven Soldiers to the list of projects where Morrison kicked . Since Doom Patrol was mentioned, a nod to Flex Mentallo may be an order as well.

Further, to get back to the mainstream again (where most credit Johns--and I do like his work as well), do not forget that Morrison relaunched JLA into a major title again, much in the way he'd bring readers and a sense of glam back to X-Men, thus I'd be hesitant to imply Morrison couldn't tote the company flag ala a Johns if he wanted/needed to.

While I'm hesitant to compare anyone to Alan Moore, the aspect about him that most impresses me is how easily and efficiently Moore is able to go from superheroes to more eclectic projects and excel at each with uncomfortable ease. For all of the credit Moore has received for his work outside of the box, he also has viable candidates in the discussion of the greatest Batman and Superman stories ever told. Morrison, to a lesser extent, can claim the same type of versatility.

Johns aspires to be a great super-hero genre writer, and rarely disappoints-- Flash Rebirth comes to mind. Morrison aspires to be a great writer, often using the conventions of superhero comics, and occasionally misses.

In addition to We3 and AllStar Superman, I'd point to the first 30some odd issues of the 1990s JLA reboot as evidence of recent Morrison greatness.

He is just baiting there..

Surely he cant dismiss the architect of Sinestro Corps, Blackest Night, Flash, GL and more importantly(Just my opinion.) the return of JSA which had floundered for years before he brought them back and wrote quite a bit of the first and the beginning of the 2nd volume.

Not denying Morrison isnt talented he just isnt the cup of tea for some readers.

Surely he cant dismiss the architect of Sinestro Corps, Blackest Night, Flash, GL and more importantly(Just my opinion.) the return of JSA which had floundered for years before he brought them back and wrote quite a bit of the first and the beginning of the 2nd volume.

Not denying Morrison isnt talented he just isnt the cup of tea for some readers.

Don't listen to what I say.

Simply consider: how many runs that are considered "classics" by the comics community at large have been written by Grant Morrison? How many people seek out books specifically because they were written by Grant Morrison?

Now, how many were written by Johns?

Geoff Johns tells a decent story. But I have yet to read a Geoff Johns story that punched me in the gut, like Animal Man #15 did. I have yet to read a Geoff Johns story that dazzled my mind, like Doom Patrol #19-22 did. I have yet to read a Geoff Johns story that really got to me like We3 did.

Geoff Johns is an excellent journeyman. No doubt.

But he is not now, nor likely will he be (if his past work is any sign), a master.

Alan Moore. Frank Miller. Neil Gaiman. Garth Ennis. Kurt Busiek. Brian Vaughan. Robert Kirkman. Bill Willingham. Mark Waid.

These are people with acknowledged comics masterpieces under their fingers, works that are sought out because that work far excelled above everything else being published. Grant Morrison fits comfortably in that list.

I do not doubt that people enjoyed Sinestro Corps. I do not doubt that they enjoyed his run on Flash. I do not doubt that he is a tremendously valuable asset to DC. But, much like Gerry Conway in the 70's, Bill Mantlo in the 80's, and Scott Lobdell in the 90's, Johns' work is adequate, but will never live up to the masters mentioned above.

Still don't believe me...?

Name a single comic or series that Johns wrote that is sought after, popular, "hot" because Johns wrote it.

Simply consider: how many runs that are considered "classics" by the comics community at large have been written by Grant Morrison? How many people seek out books specifically because they were written by Grant Morrison?

Geoff Johns tells a decent story. But I have yet to read a Geoff Johns story that punched me in the gut, like Animal Man #15 did. I have yet to read a Geoff Johns story that dazzled my mind, like Doom Patrol #19-22 did. I have yet to read a Geoff Johns story that really got to me like We3 did.

But he is not now, nor likely will he be (if his past work is any sign), a master.

Alan Moore. Frank Miller. Neil Gaiman. Garth Ennis. Kurt Busiek. Brian Vaughan. Robert Kirkman. Bill Willingham. Mark Waid.

These are people with acknowledged comics masterpieces under their fingers, works that are sought out because that work far excelled above everything else being published. Grant Morrison fits comfortably in that list.

I do not doubt that people enjoyed Sinestro Corps. I do not doubt that they enjoyed his run on Flash. I do not doubt that he is a tremendously valuable asset to DC. But, much like Gerry Conway in the 70's, Bill Mantlo in the 80's, and Scott Lobdell in the 90's, Johns' work is adequate, but will never live up to the masters mentioned above.

Name a single comic or series that Johns wrote that is sought after, popular, "hot" because Johns wrote it.

i'm w/ RMA on this one. Johns is solid, solid, solid but Morrison oftentimes reaches sublime.

Johns has never written anything bad. He is the ONLY reason I started reading DC. He has cleaned up ALOT of DC continuity his runs on Hawkman, and Justice Society are my personal favorites. He MADE Green Lantern starting with Rebirth he has not lost momentum with the character.

Morrison is done IMO. His run on Batman sucked monkey ballz, Final Crisis was garbage, and honestly I dont what he has done that I did like. Maybe Batman and Robin, but not Batman. I guess I started a flame war for the hanger-ons, but honestly I never read the Doom Patrol or Animal Man stuff so to me he just writes krap now.

I get what you're saying.

Comparing the two is apples to oranges.

Morrison to Johns.

Mozart to Beethoven.

Lennon to.. uh.. James Taylor?

Cobain to.. uh... Dave Matthews?

Am I with ya?

An excellent post! :applause:

Except for one thing: what is Robert Kirkman doing in a list populated by geniuses? ???

I admit, THE WALKING DEAD is a relatively nice soap opera (with Zombies), but it really pales in comparison to some of the masterpieces that Morrison, Moore, Miller, Waid, and the other giants have written (shrug)

An excellent post! :applause:

Except for one thing: what is Robert Kirkman doing in a list populated by geniuses? ???

I admit, THE WALKING DEAD is a relatively nice soap opera (with Zombies), but it really pales in comparison to some of the masterpieces that Morrison, Moore, Miller, Waid, and the other giants have written (shrug)

Kirkman's Invincible is consistently one of the best superhero comics ever written. That plus WD is a pretty nice resume.