• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grant Morrison

126 posts in this topic

i think johns is more important but morrison has done more memorable stuff if that makes sence. its like would you rather have a consistant 300 hitter or a 200 hitter who will hit 40 home runs (a baseball medaphor and i hate baseball, go figure..)

The current Green Lantern run will go down in history. He has created more in that universe then any other creator. Just amazing what he has done.

Do you have any idea how much Johns' GL run owes to a few short stories that Alan Moore wrote over 20 years ago? Also, Grant Morrison created the Alpha Lanterns.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, Green Lantern is the only ongoing series I buy (not counting Walking Dead TPBs) and I am a big fan of Johns' work, but it doesn't have the timeless greatness that will keep it remembered if (when) DC continuity is changed again.

RMA, I see your points but cant agree. I read ANYTHING Johns does, ANYTHING!

Even Booster Gold? :o

And after Waid on the Flash, I avoid anything he writes. Johns had the title running smmoth, and Waid just screwed it up.

There would be no Johns without Mark Waid! (And did you read Morrison's run on Flash? :grin:)

Batman Inc. #2

I rest my case.

Just give it some time... Even though you called it one of the worst batman stories ever told after reading issue #1 (tsk)

And issue #2 was worse :sick:

When Johns quits....is anyone going to remember his name...? hm

Yes. I'd say he'll be remembered for the best GL run ever. He may be remembered for the best JSA work as well, IMHO.

hm

You mean, Geoff Johns' GL run will be more remembered than Neal Adams'....?

Really....?

The current Green Lantern run will go down in history. He has created more in that universe then any other creator. Just amazing what he has done.

No, it won't.

It won't be remembered in 5 years. Sorry, but it's true.

There's not a single Geoff Johns story that would land in a top 100 anything. There's not been a single Geoff Johns story that became a "hot back issue" because it was written by Geoff Johns. His closest claim to fame...that of the first couple of issues of the Sinestro Corps War...was mainly an issue of supply. Flash #19-200 was hot for about 20 minutes back in '03, but "classic" it is not, nor will ever be.

If Alan Moore is the grandfather of Vertigo, and Neil Gaiman is the father...Grant Morrison is the creepy uncle who visits on every major holiday and gets drunk with your girlfriend.

Without Johns theres no way DC could compete with Marvel on a financial standpoint as hard as it is for me to say that... :(

Without Stan Lee, there was no way Marvel could compete with DC on a financial standpoint, either.

Overemotional nostalgia aside, there's not a single Stan Lee story that can hold a candle to even the stuff Geoff Johns writes. A great literature writer, Stan Lee was not. 99.99% of what Stan Lee has ever written is hackneyed, melodramatic pablum that would be rejected by any self-respecting 6th grade creative writing teacher.

Without Johns theres no way DC could compete with Marvel on a financial standpoint as hard as it is for me to say that... :(

Without Stan Lee, there was no way Marvel could compete with DC on a financial standpoint, either.

Overemotional nostalgia aside, there's not a single Stan Lee story that can hold a candle to even the stuff Geoff Johns writes. A great literature writer, Stan Lee was not. 99.99% of what Stan Lee has ever written is hackneyed, melodramatic pablum that would be rejected by any self-respecting 6th grade creative writing teacher.

You're one of the few people who would say this on the forum, but my god it is so true.

Read any Stan Lee comic out loud as if it's a movie -script and you'll laugh at how silly it is.

Our little bitty comic universe we sometimes get caught up in, can fool us into thinking it's more than it is. That's why when writers like Moore and Morrison and Gaiman write outside that universe, they're able to ignore the goofy restrictions of the mainstream and actually create something special.

If Alan Moore is the grandfather of Vertigo, and Neil Gaiman is the father...Grant Morrison is the creepy uncle who visits on every major holiday and gets drunk with your girlfriend.

lol I love it. Garth Ennis could be the dopey uncle who enjoys playing with the kids' Army men a little too much, and Warren Ellis would be the high-tech geek uncle who has all the latest gadgets and is trying to have a 3-some with Grant and your girlfriend.

When Johns quits....is anyone going to remember his name...? hm

Yes. I'd say he'll be remembered for the best GL run ever. He may be remembered for the best JSA work as well, IMHO.

hm

You mean, Geoff Johns' GL run will be more remembered than Neal Adams'....?

Really....?

Let's be fair now: If Neal Adams had written any Green Lantern stories, they would all probably be as unmemorable as that crappy Batman story he's currently writing and drawing...

And would we remember the Neal Adams Green Lantern/Green Arrow if it weren't for that series taking on social issues relevant at the time? Re-reading those issues, they aren't really that great, but they were at the time and people have held them up as classics all these years. I love them, but it's because I was reading them when they were STILL RELEVANT.

Social relevance stories have much less impact these days because nearly everything has been done to death.

I do think Geoff Johns will be remembered for Green Lantern Rebirth and the really creative way he brought everything full circle. But, I don't think there are many comics these days that really are considered classics simply because most of them are plowing old ground.

And, here's why I think Morrison is a better writer: He at least does try to bring new ideas to comics. Look at his New X-Men. His story was original. He used fresh ideas that didn't hinge on minor plotlines or character walk-thrus from the Chris Claremont era. He built his own X-universe and created new characters like Xorn and Fantomex and the entire group of mutant school kids and instead of bringing back old favorites like the Hellfire Club and the Brood, he used the idea of a mutant virus and mutant universe and brought new X-Men into the fold, like Emma Frost (to which he gave new powers which were kind of neat).

Johns does what every popular comic writer writing today does: He strip mines the past stories and makes readers look for those obscure appearances of a character.

I think Johns is a good writer and, in 34 years of reading comics, I can't remember a Green Lantern story that was more entertaining than what Johns has written.

And that includes the Dennis O'Neil/Neal Adams Green Lantern, which I love, but don't think it's nearly as good reading it now as it was when I first read it as a child and was wowwed by Adams' art and O'Neil's writing about social issues.

No, it won't.

There's not a single Geoff Johns story that would land in a top 100 anything. There's not been a single Geoff Johns story that became a "hot back issue" because it was written by Geoff Johns. His closest claim to fame...that of the first couple of issues of the Sinestro Corps War...was mainly an issue of supply. Flash #19-200 was hot for about 20 minutes back in '03, but "classic" it is not, nor will ever be.

You are out of your mind. And there is no new comic that is hot for more than 20 minutes, unless supply is an issue. Be realistic.

No, it won't.

You are out of your mind. And there is no new comic that is hot for more than 20 minutes, unless supply is an issue. Be realistic.

Walking Dead. Still hot.

What I enjoyed about Morrison's run on X-men was it was different. I hated it at the same time. He took the costumes away, moved the school, and brought in characters to this day I still hate. But he did what a writer hadnt done in a long time with the X-men and it was really what Marvel wanted at the time. (It was also the reason why Johns didnt last there at the time.) He wrote stories with a beginning, middle and ending. As simple as it sounds it had been a long time since the X-men had seen that so fans just plain werent used to it.

He didnt bring in a ton of new concepts. He did the Phoenix saga, The Sentinels, a waayyy forward Days of the Future Past, Fought Magneto, Sent Charlie packing, Mutant Hatred, and brought the school back. He did them his way and as much I didnt like some of it I admire the guy for writing his view of it and Marvel loves him because he produced what 7 TPBs for them?

I checked his sales numbers and they tell a story, but not sure how much the market decline you can attribute as well. Here comes tomorrow was a good close out though.

X-men 114 - 144,835

X-men 118 - 127,610

X-men 126 - 110,718

X-men 133 - 104,932

X-men 144 - 101,034

X-men 150 - 110,563

X-men 154 - 117,253

What I enjoyed about Morrison's run on X-men was it was different. I hated it at the same time. He took the costumes away, moved the school, and brought in characters to this day I still hate. But he did what a writer hadnt done in a long time with the X-men and it was really what Marvel wanted at the time. (It was also the reason why Johns didnt last there at the time.) He wrote stories with a beginning, middle and ending. As simple as it sounds it had been a long time since the X-men had seen that so fans just plain werent used to it.

He didnt bring in a ton of new concepts. He did the Phoenix saga, The Sentinels, a waayyy forward Days of the Future Past, Fought Magneto, Sent Charlie packing, Mutant Hatred, and brought the school back. He did them his way and as much I didnt like some of it I admire the guy for writing his view of it and Marvel loves him because he produced what 7 TPBs for them?

I checked his sales numbers and they tell a story, but not sure how much the market decline you can attribute as well. Here comes tomorrow was a good close out though.

X-men 114 - 144,835

X-men 118 - 127,610

X-men 126 - 110,718

X-men 133 - 104,932

X-men 144 - 101,034

X-men 150 - 110,563

X-men 154 - 117,253

+1 on your comment on Morrison.

Also, the numbers for the TPB reflects that. It also doesn't count the collected editions and the Omnibus as well.