• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grant Morrison

126 posts in this topic

And although I love Invincible, I consider it just a really good superhero comic. It doesn't make me want to go back and reread it until my trade paperbacks are ragged and falling apart like Moore did with Saga of the Swamp Thing (the Anatomy Lesson) and Miller did with Dark Knight and Morrison did with Animal Man and Doom Patrol.

I reread my Invincible trades a couple times a year. It's my favorite only superhero title.

I say this with all sincerity: if you've never done drugs, you're probably not a fan of Grant Morrison.

Many comic geeks are straight-laced and may not have even smoked pot in their life (uff da!). And there are 2 kinds of people in the world: those that have tried acid and those that haven't. We know which one Grant is, he is one trippy writer, and that's the way I like it. Smoke the blue mold!

(I'm not saying you should be on drugs when reading Morrison, that would blow your mind too much. But understanding can be achieved much more readily.)

And there are 2 kinds of people in the world: those that have tried acid and those that haven't. We know which one Grant is, he is one trippy writer, and that's the way I like it.

There are actually three types of people.

1: Those that haven't tried acid.

2: Those that have tried acid.

3: Those that have tried acid and still think Morrison's wank.

How about those of us who never dropped acid and still like Morrison?

You fall into group #1.

I thought it was pretty self explanatory :screwy:

It is to those who fall into group #3.

I've NEVER done any drugs and still love a lot of what Morrison writes. I think his Animal Man was a classic, as was his early Doom Patrol. I loved Seven Soldiers of Victory and think his Batman has been better than most of the other Batman comics put out in the last 20 years. I enjoyed his JLA (hated when he took a month or two off and left the book in the hands of Mark Waid, who didn't do his best work on the title). I really loved his New X-Men. I think it definitely IS a classic and is remembered by many X-Men fans as such. I'm not an X-Men fan, but I read Morrison's run from start to finish, then in hardcover and I'm reading them all over again.

I really enjoyed We3 and I thought Seaguy was good, too. I also liked Morrison's Marvel Boy and Fantastic Four 1234. All really great, experimental stuff during a really amazing time at Marvel.

Final Crisis left me confused and I'll admit that it wasn't his finest moment. I think DC editorial mandates had a lot to do with the troubled series. I didn't think it ever read like a Grant Morrison comic, but more like a comic started by Morrison and finished by the same writer that wrote Legion of Super Heroes 50 after Jim Shooter was dumped by DC.

and think his Batman has been better than most of the other Batman comics put out in the last 20 years.

Chuck Dixon, Doug Moench, Neil Gaiman (albeit very briefly), hell even Judd Winnick wrote a better story. Tony Daniel is also much better.

It's so weird how opinions vary, I took Tony Daniel's attempt at Batman as a go-to example of why he should never write another comic book ever again. Battle for the Cowl was almost unbelievably (my only experience with Daniel on the title) dreadful. I'm not a huge fan of Morrison on Batman until he did Batman and Robin, which I thought was excellent. I certainly admired segments of his Batman run and some of the invention (much of which which, as noted above by a poster, is self-admittedly lifted/mined from Silver Age elements and taking the next step with them) but I wouldn't consider it a complete win, though I actually like the Damian element. I'm a sucker for issue #666.

That said, I do think that Paul Dini wrote some fine one-shot Batman stories when he was on TEC.

Hey, I'm not discounting what Chuck Dixon and Doug Moench did on Batman. As far as Batman writers go, they wrote some great stuff. I just don't think their work was on the same level as Morrison's. His Batman and Robin has been really, really good, and I actually liked RIP and those stories that came before it.

I did think that Gaiman wrote one of the WORST Batman stories of all time. Incomprehensible and not at all entertaining to me.

Hey, I'm not discounting what Chuck Dixon and Doug Moench did on Batman. As far as Batman writers go, they wrote some great stuff. I just don't think their work was on the same level as Morrison's. His Batman and Robin has been really, really good, and I actually liked RIP and those stories that came before it.

I did think that Gaiman wrote one of the WORST Batman stories of all time. Incomprehensible and not at all entertaining to me.

Right on point here! I think Chuck Dixon is the man that built the foundation of not just Batman but Robin, Birds of prey, Nightwing in his haydays in the 90s.

Also agree on that even though Dixon and Moench is good they arent at Morrison's caliber.

YES! Gaiman totally bombed that story. It totally rubbed me the wrong way. Id rather Daniel write instead on Gaiman anyday.

and think his Batman has been better than most of the other Batman comics put out in the last 20 years.

Chuck Dixon, Doug Moench, Neil Gaiman (albeit very briefly), hell even Judd Winnick wrote a better story. Tony Daniel is also much better.

I'm with you, Gav. Morrison is too hit and miss for me. Occasional genius intertwined with frequently overdone conceptualization.