• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 20 years.. Goodbye Spidey

128 posts in this topic

Just gave up on ASM myself. The Bagley era got me to quit for awhile...I gave up waiting for them to replace him after a couple of years. Started up again recently for the heck of it, but I didn't get what they were doing with the Lizard and the Kraven clan. I've been away from it too long, I guess.

For my money, the Roger Stern/JRJ era was the pinnacle for the series, the art and story were never better. The "Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" backup feature might have been the single best story in the entire run.

I've been enjoying spidey now for the first time since David & Todd's run. I quit during JMS' run after the horrid Gwen' kids storyline. Came back to check out BND and now with Slott on Big Time it's been pretty dang good. It's no longer three times a month. (it's twice monthly now). Bachalo has been doing some great art on the title and I've never been a big fan of his. Looking forward to Marcos Martin's run coming up. Don't give up on the webhead! Slott's got a good grasp on him!

I quit after issue #122. I figured it could only go down hill from there.

Was I right? :)

Yes.

ditto

The book lost a lot of fire and direction. A lot of young fans felt betrayed.

Better days ...

Gwen-1.jpg

I quit once a Brand New Day had come out. I had been collecting Spidey since Amazing was in the single digits. It was great to get rid of the Spider. I had already gotten rid of the X titles and once all of the Hulk books came out I dumped him to. It is refreshing!!!

Kravens last hunt was IMO the best Spidey story I ever read. Nothing ever seemed as good to me.

Its funny because Kraven was my favorite villian as a youngster and I almost always enjoy his appearences but that last Hunt storyline didn't really appeal to me. For reasons I can't quite explain, it seemed to me that it was a Batman plot put into a Spidey book.

That would be 'Spider Man Noir' - Spidey wants to be Batman so bad in that one...

The first Spider-man comic I remember owning was #75. He became my favorite character and I followed and collected that book for years.

I quit 7 issues into McFarlane's new Spider-man title when I read them consecutively and was horrified at how bad it was. I've read an issue here and there but it's never really captured my attention since.

Another major problem is the price. At $3.99 Marvel is pricing itself out of the market. You can't buy five new comics a week anymore without spending $20 or more. And it's getting to the point where I'd rather pay $15 for a fine copy of a Silver Age book at the LCS than buy four new books.

And let me add that I have a complete ASM run from #12-425.

I'm a big Avengers fan and buying four or five of their books a month is costly. I find with Spider-Man, it is sometimes worth it to wait a year or two and check out the graphic novels from the library. I've read many good Daredevil and Wolverine stories from the library that I would never buy per issue normally.

Besides, the only Spider title I buy now is Ultimate Spider-Man, perhaps the best Spider-Man stories of the past decade (despite all the Bagley haters!)

And don't even get me started on the Gwen/Norman BS. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in comics. So out of character for Gwen that is not even funny.

I so hate Joe Quesada for allowing Marvel to be as bad as it is now.

:golfclap:

I am behind a bit. I just finished the storyline with Kraven being resurrected... Now I have 2 more shipments, and after that im done. I just cant ready Spidey anymore.

If you liked it in the past give the new arc a chance before you call it quits. I'll say it again so far it is a good read.

In all honesty it was nostalgia. I still read alot of moderns and cant even re read those spidey books.. When I read the carnage stuff again, I wanna puke. He was a cool character at 13, but god awful now! Also I would rather get a room back then hold these longer lol

Put the Spideys up for auction for Mike. :applause:

As much as I love Mike, I need that money. Unfortunately I dont have a high paying job and my wife really doesnt work. Kind of why I havent bought much this year.

Well, that's your problem. Make your wife get a job!

Also, Spidey is no longer 3x monthly now.

I've been loving the stories ever since BND. There is a down story here and there, but overall, most of the stories are really good.

Most of you sound like crotchety old men in here (whether you are or aren't). Congrats! (thumbs u

Complaining about Gwen dying? C'mon!! It's a friggin comic. Enjoy it or stfu and go outside and do some exercise for a change.

Right there with you. When they changed to the 3 comics a month the title went down hill. I prefer quality over quantity, I would rather 1 good quality book then for then to rush and push through 3 comics just so they can suck more money out of fans. For the first time in nearly 30 years I am not collecting a monthly Spidey comic.

So I have finally quit reading ASM. Marvel switched to 3 issues a month, and it broke me. The stories werent that good, the art was a turnoff, and it was just too expensive. So after 20 years I part ways with ASM. I started collecting this title at the age of 12, my first issue aquired for a $10.00 bag of comics from the paperboy which included ASM 300 (my first spider man comic). I fell in love with the McFarlane art and was an avid reader throughout the Larson era, which shortly after saw my exit from comics. Mix in a few years later a rabid lust for completing runs, and you have 2 long boxes of ASM.. So after the past 4 years of rebuilding, filling, and reading moderns it is over. It was fun while it lasted, but I cant take it anymore.

Goodbye webhead. I will enjoy selling those long boxes. :cloud9:

Why does everyone hate Bagley, I didn't think he was that bad. I always thought Erik Larsen was much, much worse. Though he did draw MJ with a nice big rack! lol as a teen I sure enjoyed that.

His ASM work isn't so great (kind of a Larsen clone), but I really thought he did well on Ultimate Spidey. I enjoyed it very much (especially when it was inked by Thibert).

For my money, the Roger Stern/JRJ era was the pinnacle for the series, the art and story were never better.

I loved that era as well. It's my personal Spidey golden age. :cloud9: Although, in terms of artwork, Romita sr is my favorite.