• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 20 years.. Goodbye Spidey

128 posts in this topic

I hated Larsen's Venom, with the tongue and the slobber. He took the menace the TM had drawn the character with, and turned it into a caricature.

+100000000

The really bad part of it is that every artist since kinda took Larsen's interpretation (tongue/slobber) and ran with it. :(

Has Larsen drawn anything well? I remember when he took over on Doom Patrol. I can't imagine anything more jarring than going from Steve Lightle's smooth, fluid style, to Larsen's jagged edges and poor knowledge of even basic anatomy.

I hated Larsen's Venom, with the tongue and the slobber. He took the menace the TM had drawn the character with, and turned it into a caricature.

+100000000

The really bad part of it is that every artist since kinda took Larsen's interpretation (tongue/slobber) and ran with it. :(

Has Larsen drawn anything well? I remember when he took over on Doom Patrol. I can't imagine anything more jarring than going from Steve Lightle's smooth, fluid style, to Larsen's jagged edges and poor knowledge of even basic anatomy.

Nothing that comes to mind. I'm not a big fan of his style.

+100000000

Larsen is a lot like Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo, Mike Mignola, J Scott Campbell, Skotie Young, etc. These artists are fine when they do their own comic, their own original creations. But when they do mainstream characters from the Big 2, they look like .

+100000000

Larsen is a lot like Humberto Ramos, Chris Bachalo, Mike Mignola, J Scott Campbell, Skotie Young, etc. These artists are fine when they do their own comic, their own original creations. But when they do mainstream characters from the Big 2, they look like .

I agree.

+100000000

I agree.

After looking at Paul Azaceta's run on ASM, I have no idea why Marvel hired him.

After looking at Paul Azaceta's run on ASM, I have no idea why Marvel hired him.

Are the artists actually employed by Marvel or is it a contract? Also who is seeking the talent? If Marvel comes to your door and ask you to do a run you're in a better position than Marvel sending out a req and being one of a hundred artists responding.

If it's a contract and a heavy hitter wants a large sum for his work over X copies and another artist, not nearly as big wants a 10th who do you think they'll contract for the work? If it's profit and contract driven you may get stick figures on day.

I'm not sure how their structure is. If they are hired or contracted for the work. I'm betting it's contracted and this is why keeps floating to the top of the bowl across the board.

---

Edit: I used the c word not the s word and I still got spooned!!!

+100000000

I agree.

Well, excepting Mignola. Otherwise, I agree.

Ramos has to be the worst of all.

+100000000

I agree.

Mignola is hit or miss IMO. Ramos, I just dont like. I hated his X-Men stuff actually.

+100000000

I agree.

Mignola is hit or miss IMO. Ramos, I just dont like. I hated his X-Men stuff actually.

Mignola needs dark shadowy stuff. Batman, yes. Superman, probably no.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but I hate to tell you but they have JUST

moved this title back to once a month.

:insane:

Link?

I don't have a link it is just what my LCS told me a few weeks ago

and why in the world would they tell me something that decrease they're sales

so I took it as the gospel.

(shrug)

Real buyers of ASM would probably deal with one issue a month at a premium, the best writers and the best artists. Like any established business If you start to produce riding on reputation and branding eventually you lose your entire customer base forever.

It appears I'm one of the few who liked the three-issues-a-month idea. To me, it's better that than three different titles and disjointed storytelling.

Instead of three X-Men, three Avengers, two Iron Man titles a month etc, etc, plus mini series, I'd rather see one single title come out multiple times a month, with linear storytelling. 2c

Real buyers of ASM would probably deal with one issue a month at a premium, the best writers and the best artists. Like any established business If you start to produce riding on reputation and branding eventually you lose your entire customer base forever.

It appears I'm one of the few who liked the three-issues-a-month idea. To me, it's better that than three different titles and disjointed storytelling.

Instead of three X-Men, three Avengers, two Iron Man titles a month etc, etc, plus mini series, I'd rather see one single title come out multiple times a month, with linear storytelling. 2c

I enjoyed it too - it was nice having most* of a story contained in a single title with a subscription. I don't know why they are switching back.

*Being a Marvel book, there were still departures into several Avengers, Rulk, Bulk, Hulk, etc. but for the most part - it was all under Amazing.

I didn't see anyone mention this, but I hate to tell you but they have JUST

moved this title back to once a month.

:insane:

Link?

I don't have a link it is just what my LCS told me a few weeks ago

and why in the world would they tell me something that decrease they're sales

so I took it as the gospel.

(shrug)

I read they are dropping it to twice monthly once Dan Slott takes over as writer. but not once a month

The problems with that is this.....

#1. Even if they happen upon a quality writer, he is constantly under deadline pressure and uses up whatever ideas he has 3 times more quickly than he would normally. He also cannot spend time thinking about new storylines because he is so busy cranking out issues.

#2. They can't get a single artist to do 3 times a month. No one who is any quality can maintain that schedule and they wouldn't want to if they could. It leads to short cuts and sub par art.

#3 . There is no anticipation of the next issue. Part of the fun of comics is having to wait a month to find out what happens next. Drama.

#4. By forcing unrealistic deadlines, you have to have multiple creators which leads to disjointed art and storyline and it ends up reading like a never ending group of 3 issue mini series. Maybe that is fine for you, but it is not what I want to read.

Mignola needs dark shadowy stuff. Batman, yes. Superman, probably no.

I will agree that Mignola's style is probably not the best for most superhero stuff.

And although this cover is years old now, it still kills.

107763.jpg.af8e76db6f06c48f9997808ea38d91e3.jpg

+100000000

the worst was john byrne, everybody looks the same, remove susan storm's hair and replace it with long red hair, and you have jean grey. :tonofbricks: other than that, it's was fine.