• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

After 20 years.. Goodbye Spidey

128 posts in this topic

Kravens last hunt was IMO the best Spidey story I ever read. Nothing ever seemed as good to me.

Its funny because Kraven was my favorite villian as a youngster and I almost always enjoy his appearences but that last Hunt storyline didn't really appeal to me. For reasons I can't quite explain, it seemed to me that it was a Batman plot put into a Spidey book.

I think it was a Batman plot. JM DeMatteis said in the TPB that he has the idea simmering for Batman but the editors wouldn't let him. So, he used it in ASM.

In all honesty it was nostalgia. I still read alot of moderns and cant even re read those spidey books.. When I read the carnage stuff again, I wanna puke. He was a cool character at 13, but god awful now! Also I would rather get a room back then hold these longer lol

Since I live in a fairly small house, I understand the desire to regain space. Just don't fall into the trap of refilling it with more junky comics.

If you saw my comic room you would understand

In all honesty it was nostalgia. I still read alot of moderns and cant even re read those spidey books.. When I read the carnage stuff again, I wanna puke. He was a cool character at 13, but god awful now! Also I would rather get a room back then hold these longer lol

Put the Spideys up for auction for Mike. :applause:

As much as I love Mike, I need that money. Unfortunately I dont have a high paying job and my wife really doesnt work. Kind of why I havent bought much this year.

I stopped reading it after that goofy story about Gwen and Norman hooking up and having children. I still have my Masterworks collection of the Ditko and early Romita stuff, and a few back issues like 121 and 122. But I'm done with the moderns.

I quit after issue #122. I figured it could only go down hill from there.

Was I right? :)

I kinda liked the Andru/Esposito era, but I was just the right age to appreciate it. I also liked some of the stuff from the eighties like Kraven's Last Hunt.

I have been more or less disappointed with ASM the last few years and didn't care for at all the last issues of the JMS run, I did like him at first but Gwen and Norman having kids, spider-stingers and "The Other" c'mon!! I actually am really digging the new "Big Time" story. I like Dan Slott as a writer his stories are just plain 'ole fun! Loved his Thing and She-Hulk run he did not to long ago too. Those are books I probably wouldn't of liked otherwise.

Too much bad stuff has happened for me to ever get the same feel out of the books.

The really bad 2nd clone saga, the Carnage overkill, the absolutely horrible Byrne restart, which became decent for a little while after he left, and then got horrible again with the Straczynski later stuff, then the Brand New Day stuff really just made a perfect jumping off point for me.

It makes me ill to pick up the book now. You open up the comic, and flip through it and you can even tell who the characters are by looking at them. The art just completely sucks. I can't imagine ever picking up a Superman comic and not being able to tell just from look who Clark, Lois, and Jimmy Olsen are.

Marvel would be so much better off if they just went back to a house style on their mainline characters. For 30 years, in every issue of Spider-man, Peter Parker looked like Peter Parker, didn't matter who was drawing him. He also talked like Peter Parker, regardless of who was writing him. Now, he is just another character, no different than a million others.

And don't even get me started on the Gwen/Norman BS. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in comics. So out of character for Gwen that is not even funny.

I so hate Joe Quesada for allowing Marvel to be as bad as it is now.

Too much bad stuff has happened for me to ever get the same feel out of the books.

The really bad 2nd clone saga, the Carnage overkill, the absolutely horrible Byrne restart, which became decent for a little while after he left, and then got horrible again with the Straczynski later stuff, then the Brand New Day stuff really just made a perfect jumping off point for me.

It makes me ill to pick up the book now. You open up the comic, and flip through it and you can even tell who the characters are by looking at them. The art just completely sucks. I can't imagine ever picking up a Superman comic and not being able to tell just from look who Clark, Lois, and Jimmy Olsen are.

Marvel would be so much better off if they just went back to a house style on their mainline characters. For 30 years, in every issue of Spider-man, Peter Parker looked like Peter Parker, didn't matter who was drawing him. He also talked like Peter Parker, regardless of who was writing him. Now, he is just another character, no different than a million others.

And don't even get me started on the Gwen/Norman BS. Most ridiculous thing I have ever seen in comics. So out of character for Gwen that is not even funny.

We agree (thumbs u

I must be the on crack then....

I still read new issues of ASM and think that the last 20 issues or so have been pretty good. Now that Slott is the primary writer, I see very good times ahead.

lol, actually, my first spider-man comic was also a ASM 300, and I stopped immediately right after David Michelenie finished his epic near 100 issue run. I still fantasize about completing a David Michelenie run. I have about 50-60 of the run, with most of the keys. 299-345 and some later issues. One of these days!!!

We agree (thumbs u

Never picked up the Spider-man habit. . .guess I am glad I didn't.

Still would like to have an AF 15 though.

I must be the on crack then....

I still read new issues of ASM and think that the last 20 issues or so have been pretty good. Now that Slott is the primary writer, I see very good times ahead.

Guess I'm on crack too then cause I like the last 20 or so issues.Well since the newest Kraven thing anyway. Before that I hadn't picked up an issue since the Strazcynski or however ya spell it run or not much after. Back in black issues I picked up but the latest issues I've actually liked.

I haven't read issues from around 530-615 or 620 though. Civil War killed me then. 2nd clone series killed me from roughly issues 390- right to 2nd series issues 26 or so.

I've gotten beat off the ASM path 2 or 3 times with damn horrible story lines IMO.

I always try to pick it up a couple years later to give it a fair shake.

Sometimes it works. Sometimes not.

Rich

ASM was the very last comic I stopped reading when I was a kid. I had a subscription and I renewed it again a year after I had given up on comics. I haven't bought a single issue since I started reading comics again as an adult though.