• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-Signatures

34 posts in this topic

Can't you tell? She writes stories.

lol Well, yes, I can tell that!! I remember reading some of her posts a while back... but I need MORE! I don't know, I'm just curious. Writers fascinate me. Speaking of writing, I need to get back to this wretched paper. Grrrr. How can T.S. Eliot be included in a British Literature class, anyway?? I mean, SURE he lived in England... but he lived in LOTS of places! He was BORN in St. Louis! Home of the Cards, the Rams, and WHITE CASTLE... mmmmmmm gutbombs. Sliders. Steamed laxatives. He's one of ours. I'm getting him taken off the British Lit lists. This I vow.

Oh, yeah, I don't know, I just wanted to know what KINDS of stories... Is this a profession? A hobby? I'm just curious. Like I said, writers fascinate me. lol I wouldn't be asking if she were a lawyer or a construction worker or something. (No offense to lawyers or construction workers.)

Check This thread for her bio. It is near the bottom of the page

What a great thread!!! And Snizz, you've represented her very well... I think you should get a little bonus this year for your efforts. How long have you been in PR? wink.gif

I'm sorry, Kaos, I was busy talking to a friend and wasn't watching the boards.

Snizz did a fine job indeed, and now you know all about me. I write stories (whatever the medium) and that's probably why my posts tend to be too long. I wanted to tell that particular story because John Byrne gets a lot of bad press from fans. But they don't know the side of him I got to see. That wasn't the only hardcover he gave out at that con. His briefcase was full of comics and books that he gave out. Not because anyone asked, but because he had a good sense of who to give them to.

I was very fortunate when I was collecting, because I got to know a lot of the pros in the business. I got to visit the offices of DC Comics (the coolest offices EVER!) in NY, hang out with interesting people at the cons and so on. And in this case, being female probably played a big role. Perhaps that's why the sexism of some of the sellers never bothered me -- I had the reverse when it came to the people who wrote, drew and edited the comics I loved to read. It also helped that I was a television writer, as there is a lot of crossover between the professions. (In my first meeting with the Weird Science producers, I let it known that I was a comic collector and instantly got both Associate Producers on my side. You use what you've got, and in Hollywood, a familiarity with comics is going to mean something to a decent percentage of writers). Comics can embiggen you in Tinsel Town.grin.gif

If enrollment in my class increases (it should pick up in Feb. when my course hits the catalogs), then I should be set financially. I can finally stop selling my comics and go back to buying them. Yeeha!

-- Joanna

I think you should get a little bonus this year for your efforts.

Hey, if you want to give me a bonus I will gladly accept. I would like for you to go to the post office and ask to read the letters to Santa. Pick one out and make some little kids day. smile.gif That can be my bonus.

Phil

I have a few comics signed by my favorite artist/writer.

Always on the bottom of the first page.

They include, Stan Lee, Chris Claremont, Neal Adams, John Byrne, Terry Austin, Barry Smith and yes Bill Gaines.

Bill signed the cover of a Mad magazine for me.

I used to work in a residential building in NY where he used to reside. He was very friendly and out going guy.

He used to love the comic strip Bloom County, especially Bill the Cat.

In fact, I was there the day Bob and Russ arrived to his apartment to unwrap those buried EC treasures. cool.gif

> In fact, I was there the day Bob and Russ arrived to his apartment to unwrap

> those buried EC treasures.

Wow! Don't leave us hanging with that - tell us all about it! What happened? What was the food like? How did they rate the books on the 1-12 scale? What did they wear? Actually, on second thought forget about that last question...

I would like for you to go to the post office and ask to read the letters to Santa. Pick one out and make some little kids day. That can be my bonus.

Already done, Phil! wink.gif My mom always has huge lists of needy children from the church she goes to... I make sure I set aside enough to contribute to a couple *extra Christmases. I just hope they like full sets of VF/NM Team America books... blush.gifwink.gif

That's it: I've got to check out those Golden Age WWs!

I'll look through my files and see if I can find another of my synopses. I should have a few more, and that'll give you a good idea of what they're like. I'll post in the GA section (like the Sensation 11 posting down there). I'll try to get to it some time this weekend.

-- Joanna