• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this really a 9.8?

148 posts in this topic

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fnewitems%2Easp%3F%5FSORT%3DYES%26Type%3D%26f1%3Di%2ELastUpdate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di%2ETitle%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di%2EIssueNumber%252C%2Bi%2EVolumeNumber%26ODire3%3DASC&id=873954

I've seen 9.4's that look better than this.... no wonder the bronze age market is collapsing, with 9.8's like this all around recently... the SS bump perhaps?

What's wrong with the book?

I see a kreppy scan but the book looks every bit a 9.8 except for the miswrap which some might not like.

That white spot that looks like a scrape or a stress mark on the top spine is probably scanner artifact.

The only question for me is that bright spot next to the "52 pages 25." If that is a scanner glare or whatever, I have no problems with that being 9.8. The "softness" of the two left corners is exacerbated by the ginormous scan.

how come a bad miswrap like that doesn't get dinged from being a 9.8?

It is really distracting.

Miswrap doesn't affect grade. It's just down to personal choice on the buyer's side whether they can live with it or not.

CGC cuts off the allowable grade based on the size of defect (in this case miswrap).

The larger the miswrap, the lower the grade cut off.

This really only has an effect on the 9.6-10.0 range. Below that I don't think a miswrap has any effect on grade.

CGC cuts off the allowable grade based on the size of defect (in this case miswrap).

This really only has an effect on the 9.6-10.0 range. Below that I don't think a miswrap has any effect on grade.

I think you are full of shiite. We all have seen horrific miswraps in 9.8 cases. Especially since the great Pressing Boom of 2009. It might keep a book from a 9.9+

I think you are full of shiite. We all have seen horrific miswraps in 9.8 cases. Especially since the great Pressing Boom of 2009. It might keep a book from a 9.9+

Yep.

Uh, no. A miswrap can and does drop the grade into 9.6 if it is severe enough.

Stick that shiite in where it belongs.

:P

We discussed miswraps in detail in this thread.

Don't feel like typing it out again.

:foryou:

Nice Link. You were as full of hot air in that thread as you are here.

Proof, lawyer?

Miswrap doesn't affect grade. It's just down to personal choice on the buyer's side whether they can live with it or not.

i guess i don't understand why not then.

Are the following treated the same way?

paper roll creases.

registration issues.

bad trimming.

blanket adhesions causing color loss.

they all fall under printing defects.

i guess i don't understand why not then.

Are the following treated the same way?

paper roll creases.

registration issues.

bad trimming.

blanket adhesions causing color loss.

they all fall under printing defects.

CGC has never been one to publicly announce their grading standards and they do differ from Overstreet.