• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How can this be a 9.4?

30 posts in this topic

CGC doesn't downgrade for 'production defects'. makepoint.gif

Unless,....they are so apparent that they distract from the over all appearance from the book,....they will down grade for things such as excessive distributor's ink on the cover,...front or back,....as I was recently told

Unless,....they are so apparent that they distract from the over all appearance from the book,....they will down grade for things such as excessive distributor's ink on the cover,...front or back,....as I was recently told

But keep in mind that distributor ink IS NOT production damage. CGC grades based on it's current condition vs. its condition when it left the production line.

So greggy nutscak creases, mis-cuts, off-center covers, huge white borders, etc. are all fair game, but anything past that is apparently post-prod damage.

But keep in mind that distributor ink IS NOT production damage. CGC grades based on it's current condition vs. its condition when it left the production line.

So greggy nutscak creases, mis-cuts, off-center covers, huge white borders, etc. are all fair game, but anything past that is apparently post-prod damage.

Ok then,...splain to me like I'm 5 then why date stamps don't count then...?

Ok then,...splain to me like I'm 5 then why date stamps don't count then...?

Robert Overstreet decided a long time ago to maintain prices and grading on Golden Age and Silver Age comics for the dealer community and their Pedigrees, many of which had date stamps and owner's names on the cover. So to keep everyone happy, it was alright to have date stamps and writing on an otherwise high-grade book.

It's the same with foxing, and that's noted as acceptable up to NM 9.4 893whatthe.gif, which is only to protect the Pedigree status of many GA foxy books.

If a GA pedigree had emerged that had serious dstro ink on all of the copies, you can bet your life that Overstreet would have denoted this as acceptable in NM 9.4.

Exactly,.....a book can still be a 9.4 or 9.6 with a huge date stamp on the front cover,....yet a book that is in all other areas a 9.4 grades a 8.0 cause of this..

129e.jpg

129b.jpg

Although, I'm pretty certain that by this time this book no longer has any noticable ink on it and is now a minty-fresh 9.4/9.6... grin.gif

Although, I'm pretty certain that by this time this book no longer has any noticable ink on it and is now a minty-fresh 9.4/9.6... grin.gif

He's got your Lucky Charms too, eh? 27_laughing.gif

And they say Tricks are for kids......

TILT! foreheadslap.gif

Production.... 893naughty-thumb.gif

That maybe ok for a Fine reader,but if I'm gonna shell out 5-10X guide for a 9.4/9.6 copy I better be able to enjoy looking at the cover without twisting my head 45 degrees to the left or right.

sumo.gif

Robert Overstreet decided a long time ago to maintain prices and grading on Golden Age and Silver Age comics for the dealer community and their Pedigrees, many of which had date stamps and owner's names on the cover. So to keep everyone happy, it was alright to have date stamps and writing on an otherwise high-grade book.

The presence of date stamps, distributor codes, and even scribbled names are in no way limited to GA pedigrees. A good percentage of "normal" books from this time also exhibit these characteristics. Should they all have been penalized?

It's the same with foxing, and that's noted as acceptable up to NM 9.4 893whatthe.gif, which is only to protect the Pedigree status of many GA foxy books.

Huh? There's only one GA pedigree where foxing is a main characteristic -- the Lamont Larson one. (Well, okay, maybe "D Copies" fall into this category ... sorta.) I think you're stretching your conspiracy theory a bit much here.

My take on foxing is that it's viewed as a storage issue, not a handling one. In other words, should an unread ("D Copy") or once-read (Larson) book be severly penalized because it once sat in a humid environment?

Along those same lines, does anyone know how CGC deducts for "stacking spine rolls?" I'm not talking about traditional spine rolls where the books was opened and folded over and then stored that way ... I'm talking about situations where the spine of a book doesn't line up evenly with the ones above or below it, causing "spine warpage."

Brittle pages, of course, are an entirely different story. But those go to the integrity of the entire book, so the grade should be appropriately deducted.

If a GA pedigree had emerged that had serious dstro ink on all of the copies, you can bet your life that Overstreet would have denoted this as acceptable in NM 9.4.

Is this even possible? How prevalent was distro ink overspray on a week-to-week basis over the years? Was it even done back during the GA? And has someone gotten a definitive statement from CGC that they do, in fact, even deduct heavily for it?

Hmmm ... more questions than answers, here. grin.gif

Alan

In other words, should an unread ("D Copy") or once-read (Larson) book be severly penalized because it once sat in a humid environment?

YES!

What I stored my "unread copies" in a bathtub? Would warping, bleaching and disintegration (storage conditions) mean they're still NM?

In other words, should an unread ("D Copy") or once-read (Larson) book be severly penalized because it once sat in a humid environment?

YES!

What I stored my "unread copies" in a bathtub? Would warping, bleaching and disintegration (storage conditions) mean they're still NM?

Obviously, out of the ordinary storage condtions that cause severe degradation to the entire book shouldn't be discounted. Go back and read what I said about brittle pages, which, last time I checked were due to ultra-poor storage condtions. Bathing with your books would fall into this category!

Again, some long-dead mold across the cover of an otherwise flawless book cannot be compared to full-on warping or disintegration caused by brittle pages or heavy water damage.

Alan

How prevalent was distro ink overspray on a week-to-week basis over the years? Was it even done back during the GA?

Asked and answered. thumbsup2.gif

Sorry, this should have been two separate questions:

How prevalent was distro ink overspray on a week-to-week basis over the years? In other words, what percentage of books of the "distro ink period" have gross oversprays? And how does this number compare with the percentage of GA books having date stamps, distributor codes, or written names? I'd wager the latter is much higher than the former. And thus, the question needs to be asked: At what saturation point should something no longer be considered a "defect?"

Was it even done back during the GA? Like you said, not very prevalent, if it even existed. thumbsup2.gif

Alan

Was it even done back during the GA? Like you said, not very prevalent, if it even existed. thumbsup2.gif

Which is likely why Overstreet doesn't allow this in NM or higher.

Regardless of the "conspiracy theory" BS, Overstreet's grading is Golden Age-centric, as that's where it really originated and that is where it did the most good back then.

But today we should almost have two grading tiers (like CGC does unofficially), the pre- and post-1960's book getting their own scale.