• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How much restoration is still considered "authentic"?

13 posts in this topic

For a comic that has extensive restoration, including reproduced pages, how many pages of the original comic need to be included, for the comic to still be considered "authentic" and receive a label from CGC?

Also, which color label would apply? If other than a blue label, would this be a case where the owner could request on the order form that they receive a blue label with grade, even if it means a lower grade?

If it helps, this specifically applies to an Amazing Fantasy #15 with a reproduced cover and only 5 pages of the original comic (10 story pages). The rest of the pages appear to be reproductions.

Thank you for the warm welcome! :grin:

Even the purple label would be OK with me. I mainly wanted to be sure whether or not the comic would even qualify as "authentic". Thank you very much for the clarification.

I mainly bought this comic because I wanted an AF 15 for my collection, but I cannot afford to spend several thousand dollars on a single comic book right now. It would be nice to have it slabbed, not only to protect it, but also in case I decide to sell it in the future.

Thanks a lot! This answer really helped me out!

I may be alone in this, but I think I'd be more interested in buying the original pages in a mylar even more than a fully restored book with reproduction pages and cover in a slab. I think there will always be a demand for the first Spider-man pages but not everyone is interested in a book with reproduced pages and covers. Of course, I'm speaking strictly from a resale standpoint.

It sounds like you're sensitive to the costs. It'd be cheaper for you to get a mylar and a fullback to store your pages. You don't have to pay for the slabbing and restoration. That way. My 2c

I may be alone in this, but I think I'd be more interested in buying the original pages in a mylar even more than a fully restored book with reproduction pages and cover in a slab. I think there will always be a demand for the first Spider-man pages but not everyone is interested in a book with reproduced pages and covers. Of course, I'm speaking strictly from a resale standpoint.

It sounds like you're sensitive to the costs. It'd be cheaper for you to get a mylar and a fullback to store your pages. You don't have to pay for the slabbing and restoration. That way. My 2c

I agree with this. I'm not sure slabbing will add anything to this book or help resale value. I'd leave it in a mylar so it can be looked though. In a slab, all you will ever see is the reproduction cover.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond in this thread! :grin:

From what I am reading, if I sent this in to CGC it would probably get an "NG". I think I will take the advice of simply keeping it in the mylar. Even with a low grade or PLOD, I would have liked to have it slabbed, but I didn't want to waste the time, money, and effort to submit it if it wouldn't even receive any sort of grade.

I had purchased it the way I described (only 5 original pages, reproduction cover, and the rest of the pages reproduced) for only a few hundred dollars, knowing that I may not be able to get it graded. It is the first time that I have ever purchased any type of restored comic, but I wanted it for my collection, even if it is only "partially" original.

I will just keep it in the mylar and enjoy having it "as is". It is still a nice looking comic. :)

Thanks again for all of the advice.

I have been a registered member of CGC for several years, but this was my first time posting in the forums, even though I have read them quite a bit. I have always thought about posting pictures of some of my comics in the grading thread, to get an idea of how some of them might grade if I send them in. I have some "popular" comics, but they are definitely mid to low grade (spine stress with color break, bent corners, etc.). I have quite a few comics that I keep telling myself I am going to have graded, but I have just never gotten around to sending any of them in. It might be fun to get an "idea" of potential grade (I would guess between 5.5 to 6.5 for several of them). I have just recently started buying a few "lower end" comics already graded, and I kind of like the CGC cases.

My sense is CGC would give it a NG (no grade) and note that there are 5 original interior pages present.

Agree. I don't think I've ever seen a book get a grade unless it is mostly original, or at least married wraps from another original copy.