• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Registry Awards Category - next steps

98 posts in this topic

Copper ended with the publication of the multi-covered and polybagged Spider-Man #1 thus beginning the Money-Grubbing-SOB-Holographic-Sparkle Age.

Too early for me. I like November 18, 1992.

Nothing happened on that day....

...now November 20th, on the other hand....

Even after people posting articles and videos and books talking about November 18th, and yet it is all out-of-synch because you only remember November 20th in California?

doh!

Oh, and people that were actually standing in the line on November 18th.

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

You know, we've already had this discussion, and I put images up from newspapers dated November 18 that talk about the book being released that day. I love you man, but you're wrong here.

Exactly! The book was released on November 18th (Wednesday).

An excerpt from an article written on how this comic attracted collectors outside of the hobby.

November 18, 1992. The day Superman #75 was finally released. Over the course of the next few days' people who had never even dreamt of walking into a comic store were standing in line waiting to buy their copy. On Friday November 20 eighty people were standing outside of Cap's Comic Cavalcade in Allentown, Pennsylvania before the store opened. Dan Walter, owner of Cap's had ordered more than three thousand copies of the comic, which was about 100 times the normal amount he usually ordered. Fans who didn't normally collect the book scrambled for a copy. It was a genuine media event and what seemed like the whole world was getting involved, even Saturday Night Live, which put on a skit featuring the funeral of Superman.

Even watching the Superman: Doomsday DVD special feature "The World Was Watching," Ryan Liebowitz (GM, Golden Apple Comics) and Ron Hill (Director of Operations, Jim Hanley's Universe) talk about what the experience was like for retailers on November 18th, 1992, and how Jim Hanley's alone sold out 10,000 copies the first day, and people were lined up outside the stores like never before.

(thumbs u

:o I was in that line!

Copper ended with the publication of the multi-covered and polybagged Spider-Man #1 thus beginning the Money-Grubbing-SOB-Holographic-Sparkle Age.

Even after people posting articles and videos and books talking about November 18th, and yet it is all out-of-synch because you only remember November 20th in California?

doh!

This book was released on Nov 20, 1992. Comics were released on FRIDAY, not WEDNESDAY, until the distributor wars of the mid 90's.

(thumbs u

You know, we've already had this discussion, and I put images up from newspapers dated November 18 that talk about the book being released that day. I love you man, but you're wrong here.

An excerpt from an article written on how this comic attracted collectors outside of the hobby.

November 18, 1992. The day Superman #75 was finally released. Over the course of the next few days' people who had never even dreamt of walking into a comic store were standing in line waiting to buy their copy. On Friday November 20 eighty people were standing outside of Cap's Comic Cavalcade in Allentown, Pennsylvania before the store opened. Dan Walter, owner of Cap's had ordered more than three thousand copies of the comic, which was about 100 times the normal amount he usually ordered. Fans who didn't normally collect the book scrambled for a copy. It was a genuine media event and what seemed like the whole world was getting involved, even Saturday Night Live, which put on a skit featuring the funeral of Superman.

Even watching the Superman: Doomsday DVD special feature "The World Was Watching," Ryan Liebowitz (GM, Golden Apple Comics) and Ron Hill (Director of Operations, Jim Hanley's Universe) talk about what the experience was like for retailers on November 18th, 1992, and how Jim Hanley's alone sold out 10,000 copies the first day, and people were lined up outside the stores like never before.

(thumbs u

You both are acting like boobs, but in the interest of clarity, the line that is being described was on November 20th, although the article clearly references the November 18th release date.

(thumbs u

You both are acting like boobs, but in the interest of clarity, the line that is being described was on November 20th, although the article clearly references the November 18th release date.

Actually, there was a second November 18th date at the bottom from the Superman: Doomsday DVD.

But you're still my favorite boobie. :foryou:

I personally think there is NO one starting book for any age. It was a process.

I like the way you think! :cloud9:

It just makes sense! Spidey 1 couldn't have started it, because it matches the genre and content of the late 80's. Image couldn't have, because early Image comics matched the artwork and story genres of the late eighties. I say that began the process into the modern age, with all the variants and such. But you can't say it WAS the beginning of the Modern age.

I personally think there is NO one starting book for any age. It was a process.

I like the way you think! :cloud9:

It just makes sense! Spidey 1 couldn't have started it, because it matches the genre and content of the late 80's. Image couldn't have, because early Image comics matched the artwork and story genres of the late eighties. I say that began the process into the modern age, with all the variants and such. But you can't say it WAS the beginning of the Modern age.

I agree with you it gets cloudy which book(s) signaled the end of the Copper Age/beginning of the Modern Age, although my gut feeling is Superman 75.

But I think the other ages are fairly well defined what book/title defines the beginning of the age, other than Bronze. Some say Conan #1 (Oct 70), others gravitate towards Green Lantern #76 (Feb 70). But at least it is narrowed down to two books in the same year, versus Copper with differences of opinion by years.

I agree with you it gets cloudy which book(s) signaled the end of the Copper Age/beginning of the Modern Age, although my gut feeling is Superman 75.

So the Copper Age ended on Wed the 18th or Fri the 20th, 1992?

:jokealert:

Just kiddin'!!! Just thought all that date arguement is funny... (I would have sworn it was the 19th myself)

1980-1990 makes good sense to me. The bronze age is generally considered to be 1970-79. If you agree with that, then the start point of 1980 is very logical.

As far as ending in 1990, I think Spider-Man 1 in August 1990 is a great candidate for the first modern comic. It was the first book with the crazy print runs, variant covers, and speculation/hype that changed comics.

You could make good arguments for the bronze age slipping back a few years and you could probably do the same for the copper age. But, overall I think it is as good a choice as any other. I'm happy that there is now a recognized copper age.

1980-1990 makes good sense to me. The bronze age is generally considered to be 1970-79. If you agree with that, then the start point of 1980 is very logical.

As far as ending in 1990, I think Spider-Man 1 in August 1990 is a great candidate for the first modern comic. It was the first book with the crazy print runs, variant covers, and speculation/hype that changed comics.

You could make good arguments for the bronze age slipping back a few years and you could probably do the same for the copper age. But, overall I think it is as good a choice as any other. I'm happy that there is now a recognized copper age.

Agreed

I going to try to make this as simple as possible. Here are your choices.

1980 (DC Comics Presents #26 or Teen Titans#1) - 1990 (Spider-Man #1)

OR

1984 (TMNT #1 or Gobbledygook #1) - 1992 (Superman #75)

I think we have figured out the books and timelines that started and ended the Copper Age. Now we need to decide as a collective on which timeline truly reflects the Copper Age.

Bosco summed it up quite nicely. By reading the quote highlighted below it should obvious which timeline make sense.

There is a thread in the Copper Age forum where quite a few board members discussed how to determine the beginning and end of this period in comics. It was very interesting - spirited - but also quite educational.

The suggestion from most is with the Copper Age, there was no one book/title folks could point to with ease and feel comfortable it caused this fun session of anti-hero, independent publishing explosion, anthropomorphic, dark and deadly, creator-owned comics period. It was a gradual change on many fronts. Definitely a great read!

doh!

Um, no. I wasn't the only one whose new comics were delivered on Friday.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that they were out Nov 18 some places, if YOU will acept that it was out Nov 20 in others.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

lol

You're quoting Chainnball, who I love dearly, but he can't remember what he had for BREAKFAST, much less events from 18+ years ago....

I going to try to make this as simple as possible. Here are your choices.

1980 (DC Comics Presents #26 or Teen Titans#1) - 1990 (Spider-Man #1)

OR

1984 (TMNT #1 or Gobbledygook #1) - 1992 (Superman #75)

I think we have figured out the books and timelines that started and ended the Copper Age. Now we need to decide as a collective on which timeline truly reflects the Copper Age.

As I've stated elsewhere, there was a definite transition period between the end of Bronze, and the beginning of Copper. Frank Miller is Bronze, no? When he took over DD, there wasn't a severe stylistic change from when he was just pencilling, because he was co-plotting with McKenzie the whole time. The Wolverine mini has a distinct Bronze Age feel. Ronin, on the other hand, is distinctly Copper.

NTT is distinctly Copper, but Byrne X-Men, which is solid Bronze, continued for 6 months after NTT started. NTT is the most significant new entry to Copper, but it was just the one, and nothing else really changed *that* much.

I think everyone agrees with this: Death of Phoenix was the last great masterpiece of the Bronze Age, no? 9/80.

TMNT #1 is the solidly Copper, right? Spring, 1984.

Somewhere between then, the entire industry shifted from Bronze to Copper...but there's no clear delineator in between the two.

Soooooo...maybe we can say Bronze officially ended in 1980, followed by a transition period (Cronze lol ), and Copper officially started in 1984 with Turtles #1.

Best of all worlds.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that they were out Nov 18 some places, if YOU will acept that it was out Nov 20 in others.

(thumbs u

Of course I agree with this. What you posted now is a big step forward from your original statement that Superman 75 was never released on the 18th.

:applause: (thumbs u

lol

You're quoting Chainnball, who I love dearly, but he can't remember what he had for BREAKFAST, much less events from 18+ years ago....

:sorry:

I need to pick my references more wisely in the future.

lol